DO YOU FEEL STUPID?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

Perhaps some of you had a similar experience as I had (see: http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/forums/vi ... forum=10&4 )

I think it's much easier to spell your guts in this forum about your stupidity then to tell to those you know!

Curious what you all have to say...

Acid :eek:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Acid Man on 2001-10-12 08:25 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

nonsense. people say and do incredibly stupid things everyday to and in front of those they "know".
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

Can you tell me yours then?

Spirit

Post by Spirit »

I whined for several months about Pulsar causing stuck notes. I was even able to pin it down to certain types of synths - for example the Zarg synths were always getting stuck, the Saturn and ZS404 hardly ever. So I thought this was a fault with either the synths or Pulsar. Several other people complained about the same thing.

Then, when I was just browsing through the problem solving area someone mentioned how the Roland A-33 mother keyboard sent MIDI clock info and other garbage by default and to avoid flooding Pulsar you had to switch them off.

So I did that and I've never had a stuck note since.

All the time I was blaming the wrong bit of gear and all I had to do was click one little button.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
Air_PoLLo

Post by Air_PoLLo »

I was mixing one album 2 years ago, and on one track I thought the sound was too weak so I inserted a digitech guitar Fx unit. What a BIG misstake. When we took it to the mastering plant, they called me and said that there were severe phase problems. The guitar FX put the guitar across the L+R channels so when they listened the music in mono, the guitarrs suffered 100% phase cancellation. They were totally gone! ( I usually check for phase errors, but I forgot) HEhe HOW EMBARRASING!!
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

*lol* :grin:

You see that's the basic problem with having all those pieces of gear. Most of the time one just have to activate/deactivate a button or switch or something. Things you normally wouldn't even think of.

Thank god for the online forums since they are very useful to each one of us.

topbanana

Post by topbanana »

My wife was away last weekend and instead of using all that lovely free time to create with Pulsar I got horribly drunk.

Hmmm I feel better now i've got that off my chest.

TB Confession
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

That's also a way of wasting time. I always have trouble hiding me looking @ my watch all the time when I visit my parents in law. Wondering when I can get back to my studio...

It's a shame, I know, however once you got a line in your head it's hard not to think about it...

ronaldmeij

Post by ronaldmeij »

i was doing a mixdown session in a proffesional studio and i had a sh101 with me
when i was done recording the 101 i pulled out the wrong powerplug and the the sampler was empty......

Can u imagine the faces of the musicians ???

Sorrie guys did u make a backup ???

a black day in my life as a engineer
topbanana

Post by topbanana »

Some years ago a got the job of video recording a local amateur dramatic society and just to make sure it was a top quality recording I hired the best VHS cam I could. After the show we all sat around the monitor and played back long snippets of the show as more and more people pocket there head over the top of others and stressed there burning desire for a copy...... Well imagine my horror when a week later I discovered that my dad had recorded an episode of Dallas on it !!!

Sorry Llanybydder Amateur Dramatic Society (LADS). I should have put a decent label on the tape and write protected it. Mind you its a good job the episode of Dallas was shorter than your play or you'd of lost the last 5 mins as well.

TB - Confession

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: topbanana on 2001-10-16 00:33 ]</font>
garyb

Post by garyb »

i am blissfully short memoried in this department.maybe next time i erase tracks presumed to be backed up but not checked,only to find that the back-up media was defective and that nothing was saved i'll let you know.(won't happen if my prayers are answered positively and i learned my lesson.)
Acid Man

Post by Acid Man »

You go TopBanana!

Any other confessions. I feel much better now since my first post!

And c'mon you guys. I know there are way more of you doin' stupid things!

topbanana

Post by topbanana »

I do feel so much better. There's more to come I'm sure.

TB
ohmelas

Post by ohmelas »

When I first Installed My STS-4000 and it asked me to verify a bunch of stuff. I had no idea what the stuff was and of course the pressure was on because I had a client in and this brand new peiece of gear was not working when I first turned it on....oooohhhh the embarrassment.....

Like an ostrich in the sand.
Gordon Gekko

Post by Gordon Gekko »

when I bought the luna, it couldn't play midi notes right. As i played the controller, it would spit anything but the right key... it was amazing watching the midi monitor go berzerk with program changes, sysex you name it... The problem ended up being the use of a wrong 9volts adapter to power the controller. Switched to 12 volts solved it! damn i even spent money on a usb midi adapter to solve this!!! thanks to marcuspocus for solving it
spacef

Post by spacef »

Fw years ago, i was supposed to do some sound design for an animation movies, in particular some spaceship engine that had to sound like nothing heard before.
I had to bring all my setup in their studio (image studio) during one day. very far from home.
When i installed everything, i realized i...
forgot the midi cable...

Have you ever asked an computer graphic animator if he has a midi cable ?
err... a what ?

So i gave them a dat with a few sounds and ensured them it was very easy to do it they don't need me at all :smile:

not that important as it was for free etc... but, well, you know.... you feel really stupid
wayne

Post by wayne »

About 10 years ago I was the sole musician on a large theatre production, playing gongs, drums, tuba, trombone and triggering samples, also kicking off proceedings at the top of the show. One morning we had an 11 o'clock matinee. I woke up at 11, 40 minutes drive from the theatre! :oops:
ontik

Post by ontik »

I woke up one morning sleeping on some girl. Not WITH but ON. I had, in my excessively drunken state folded out a sofa bed on top of some passed out walrus that was on the floor.

I got quite a fright when I investgated the cause of my slanted cot to find that the reason for the angle of my bunk was a larger than necessary 16 yo who had somehow manage to sleep through the whole ordeal.

For the record I am 29 and promptly grabbed my keys and got the hell out of there.

One for the books...... :lol:
at0m

Post by at0m »

* I have 2 pc's with Cubase keys, I have 2 AMT8's from Emagic.

* When I bought my last memory, it were 2 256MB chocolates. That's 512MB total.
After one week, without errors, I notice on boot that I only have 384MB or something! Panic. No Panic, stay cool. Checked SiSoft Sandra, said I had 512MB. My computer's properties said I has 384MB, so did the rest of the OS.
When I went for the last check- I thought they ripped my off- I took out the memory bar and... there was some packing plastic on one of the contacts! The memory had run one week without crashes with a plastic over a contact!

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: atomic on 2002-03-02 17:34 ]</font>
hubird

Post by hubird »

3 years ago I had a gig at a techno party.
So I did a very precise soundcheck, checked all the gear, loaded all the samples in my new Kurzweil, put everything ready for the first song, and everything looked fine :smile:
I left that hall to spend some time in the artist room and later on at the party.
A few hours later it was my time to perform :cool:
While the dj was doing his job, I prepared myself once again by starting the sequencer, listening through a headphone, and yes, I did hear exactly the intro of the first song...
I gave the dj the arranged sign, and during his fade out I started my sequencer again, now for real.
Great, everyting ok., I made big drama with the long space intro :grin:, and after a minute or three I decided to activate the drums.
But nothing happened :eek: :mad:
While playing, I checked the sampler, where the most of my drums should come out.
On the display I saw the right names of the programs, as 'Mainloop', Percussion2, etc., so everything seemed to be ok.
That day I did the longest intro ever made in history, and I died several times before I got my stuff working :oops: :cry:
Later I found out that the current of just that hall (there were 3 of them) was fallen out for a while, and all the samples in my Kurzweil were gone then :evil:
The huge intro of the first song was arranged just with synths, so my headphone check was absolutely misleading :eek:
Lesson: if you check, allways check your sample memory first.
And no, I feel not better now, I can feel the cold swet again :wink: :lol: