No Brainworx or SPL

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Liquid EDGE

No Brainworx or SPL

Post by Liquid EDGE »

anyone know why there is no brainworx or spl plugs listed on the sonic core site anymore?
what other plugs do the same job? im guesing das masterit does something similar to the brainworx bx_digital v2
whats the same as the spl transient designer?
cheers
hmmm.
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Sun Nov 20, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Re: No Brainworx or SPL

Post by dante »

Brainworx went to UAD. But when DAS did the port of thier plug, they gave it standard scope filter atoms not DASs own specially developed filter algos that we have grown to love in MASTERIT. Nuff said.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Shucks, had the bx digital on my list for mastering.

Though with Masterit & Dynpara m/s same things can be done i suppose?

Basically just thinking about stuff that can control the mid and side seperatly.
dante

Post by dante »

Yep theres some info bout Dynpara here

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_11/mbm_mast.htm

And MASTERIT here

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_03/masterit.htm

IMHO MASTERIT beats both BX_Digital and DynPara if you prefer the sound of the DAS filter to the normal Scope ones.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

So are SPL no longer a Sonic Core third party developer? :(
Last edited by Mr Arkadin on Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Mr Arkadin wrote:So are SPL no longer a Sonic Core third party developer. :(
The word I got from Dirk when I asked him back at January NAMM was 'not presently'.
'Nice guys. We love them, but we're still getting into this new business deal with SPL, and do not have resources to also support Scope'.

I agree that the DAS plugs are very good.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Seems like, all that could of been done with that plug can still be done.

Basically i bet uad did some exclusive deal with them. It's a peice of software thats already made to work on scope. they could of let us still have it, but hey.

Looks like i have Masterit and dynpara m/s on my sights now. :) (quite a bit cheaper as well)

Also i was thinking about m/s compression.

This can be done with either XenonCodec or dynpara? Stick compressers on the m or s inserts?
Last edited by Liquid EDGE on Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

MASTERIT + BRICKMASTER give Mid Side EQ + Mid Side Limiter as an excellant mastering chain.

Transient Designer I'm not sure theres any other equivalent on Scope, since it can shape transients independant of thier loudness - eg a snare hit will be made shorter / longer by the same amount for a soft hit as it would for a loud hit.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Didn't someone make a Transient Designer with ModularIII? Not sure how successful it was.

Found the thread:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... ent+design
TRANSIENT DESIGN.zip
(389.43 KiB) Downloaded 114 times
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I use Dynpara and BX V2 a lot.
I must admit my first choice is to reach for BX V2 first as a general mastering tool, but Dynpara is so useful when you have an annoying freq you want to deal with at specific points in the mix.
My concern is in future when one updates a machine will we still be able to register BX V2 thru Sonic Core?
I sincerely hope so.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote:MASTERIT + BRICKMASTER give Mid Side EQ + Mid Side Limiter as an excellant mastering chain.

Transient Designer I'm not sure theres any other equivalent on Scope, since it can shape transients independant of thier loudness - eg a snare hit will be made shorter / longer by the same amount for a soft hit as it would for a loud hit.

Shame on Brainworx. Transient designer is a huge huge loss imo. SCOPE was the first platform to have SPL transient designer (and one of the first to have a transient type plugin} and it seems Brainworx has takin it away once they partnered with UA. Funny that the Native Versions and Pro tools versions are still around. TD has been around since 1999 on SCOPE and should've been left here.

Both SPL and Brainworx started on SCOPE and should've left their plugins here.

This makes me to not want to support them ever again.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yup.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Sounddesigner wrote:
dante wrote:MASTERIT + BRICKMASTER give Mid Side EQ + Mid Side Limiter as an excellant mastering chain.

Shame on Brainworx. Transient designer is a huge huge loss imo. SCOPE was the first platform to have SPL transient designer (and one of the first to have a transient type plugin) and it seems Brainworx has takin it away once they partnered with UA. Funny that the Native Versions and Pro tools versions are still around. TD has been around since 1999 on SCOPE and should've been left here.

Thats a bit out of order, they started here? and then they turn their back on the platform that launched them?
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Sounddesigner wrote:Shame on Brainworx. Transient designer is a huge huge loss imo. SCOPE was the first platform to have SPL transient designer (and one of the first to have a transient type plugin} and it seems Brainworx has takin it away once they partnered with UA. Funny that the Native Versions and Pro tools versions are still around. TD has been around since 1999 on SCOPE and should've been left here.

I fail to see how it could be any different in the current situation?! Right now there's way more money in Native, UAD and protools - it's unfortunately just business.
Tau

Post by Tau »

I was fortunate to receive the SPL keys from an older card, and I find the Transient Designer is a very useful plugin. And I bought and later upgraded the BX digital as a special deal, so it was quite a bargain.

I find it a shame that established brands like these decide to leave the platform. These are good plugins, with very nice GUIs and marketing potential. But I get a lot of mailing from Brainworx, and from what I see, they are also distributing the SPL plugs for native and UA. Gets me thinking that the brand names in such cases are really just a badge, maybe a reference to some distant hardware blueprints, but not much more...

And that was the thing I wanted to ask... someone talked about DAS porting the BX, does that mean that the BX is really a DAS plugin?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, DAS had a hand in the ms aspect of the BX, as i have heard the story...

SPL and Brainworx have not been together as long as SPL and Scope have been. SPL and S|C have not been together much longer than SPL and Brainworx however, or something like that....

my guess is that there are agreements that involve exclusivity...and money.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Warp69 wrote:
Sounddesigner wrote:Shame on Brainworx. Transient designer is a huge huge loss imo. SCOPE was the first platform to have SPL transient designer (and one of the first to have a transient type plugin} and it seems Brainworx has takin it away once they partnered with UA. Funny that the Native Versions and Pro tools versions are still around. TD has been around since 1999 on SCOPE and should've been left here.

I fail to see how it could be any different in the current situation?! Right now there's way more money in Native, UAD and protools - it's unfortunately just business.
Yeah, but they still could of kept the plug ins on the scope platform as well.

Anyhows, not to worry really.

The set of plug ins and tools we have are amazing on the scope platform. It was just nice having the extra choice.
Plus scope has all the lovely synths and Modular system on top of all the mixing and mastering tools.

Lets see what new things come, most recently that concolveQ being a damn awesome tool.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Liquid EDGE wrote:Yeah, but they still could of kept the plug ins on the scope platform as well.
They could, but for what reason?

I would estimate that SC sell maximum 2-3 Transient Designer plugins a year. Do SPL even get paid for those 2-3 plugins? And if they did, how much? 20 euros?

For those kind of sales there's really no point.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Warp69 wrote:
Liquid EDGE wrote:Yeah, but they still could of kept the plug ins on the scope platform as well.

Out of decency. It's a peice of software. Not exactly hard work for them is it to leave it there to be downloaded and S C send a key. :roll:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Warp69 wrote:

I would estimate that SC sell maximum 2-3 Transient Designer plugins a year. Do SPL even get paid for those 2-3 plugins? And if they did, how much? 20 euros?

For those kind of sales there's really no point.
Well the plug-in is already there, doesn't need updating, there are no development costs, so where do they lose? It's not like I'm going to buy a UAD card for TD so if anything they gain €20 by doing nothing.