Does anyone use Scope and Pro Tools HD together?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

xite knight

Does anyone use Scope and Pro Tools HD together?

Post by xite knight »

I like the idea because Pro Tools HD is dedicated dsp with "zero latency", but the new Pro Tools native HD pci-e card could be an option too if it covers my needs:

Do you think that the ASIO1-32 Dest 64 outputs (or any other ASIO software outputs) from my Scope Routing Window will be displayed in the Pro Tools 9 HD as selectable ASIO inputs (without using any physical cables)?
Cheers
garyb

Re: Does anyone use Scope and Pro Tools HD together?

Post by garyb »

no. Scope will work with HD like it does with any other asio sequencer. there is nothing special about the HD sequencer. protools native is a bad value imo, there are many great sequencers available for less money. with HD, it's all or nothing if you want what is special about HD. it's the dsps that are special. if you REALLY must have the HD sequencer and can't budget $40,000-100,000, then the XITE with the PT sequencer would be a good alternative. actaully, Scope is much more flexible and useful with no loss of audio quality, but the downside is Scope doesn't have a dedicated hardware controller.
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

garyb wrote:no. Scope will work with HD like it does with any other asio sequencer. there is nothing special about the HD sequencer. protools native is a bad value imo, there are many great sequencers available for less money. with HD, it's all or nothing if you want what is special about HD. it's the dsps that are special. if you REALLY must have the HD sequencer and can't budget $40,000-100,000, then the XITE with the PT sequencer would be a good alternative. actaully, Scope is much more flexible and useful with no loss of audio quality, but the downside is Scope doesn't have a dedicated hardware controller.
Hey Gary,
Can you elaborate a bit on "then the XITE with the PT sequencer would be a good alternative". How exactly would you propose the two work together? I thought you could not use PT sequencer without some PT or M-Audio hardware. Are you suggesting you use external FX loopback to and from Scope via asio to take advantage of SCOPE FXs and Synths in PT?
dante

Post by dante »

Dunno how it was done, but theres a vid here 'Protools working in XTC mode' with Scope plugs ( RMX, POLTEQ etc )

http://www.digitalaudiosoft.com/medias.html
garyb

Post by garyb »

mausmuso wrote:
garyb wrote:no. Scope will work with HD like it does with any other asio sequencer. there is nothing special about the HD sequencer. protools native is a bad value imo, there are many great sequencers available for less money. with HD, it's all or nothing if you want what is special about HD. it's the dsps that are special. if you REALLY must have the HD sequencer and can't budget $40,000-100,000, then the XITE with the PT sequencer would be a good alternative. actaully, Scope is much more flexible and useful with no loss of audio quality, but the downside is Scope doesn't have a dedicated hardware controller.
Hey Gary,
Can you elaborate a bit on "then the XITE with the PT sequencer would be a good alternative". How exactly would you propose the two work together? I thought you could not use PT sequencer without some PT or M-Audio hardware. Are you suggesting you use external FX loopback to and from Scope via asio to take advantage of SCOPE FXs and Synths in PT?
Pro Tools without the dsp chips(aka "protools native") is JUST an ordinary sequencer. it's not magic. the core card is no better than an RME or even a really good soundblaster. why would you want to use it at all? it's just a dongle. since the software uses asio, i'd just use Scope like normal. if the PT core card really means that much to you, you could use xtc mode....
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

dante wrote:Dunno how it was done, but theres a vid here 'Protools working in XTC mode' with Scope plugs ( RMX, POLTEQ etc )

http://www.digitalaudiosoft.com/medias.html
It's pretty old news Dante.
It was done like this.
It doesn't work with pro tools 9 under windows 7/64 bit however and I haven't tried under windows7/32 bit. Allow me to quote myself from this thread:
Bifop wrote: I tried Protools 9 in XTC mode and it doesn't start (works in SFP mode though). Avid just opened asio world to it's pro tools. There is a great opportunity to provide dsp to a market that was used to it, at a premium ! An xite-1 (or 1-d) in mixed xtc/sfp mode is a "sort" of pro tools TDM.
I've always been surprised by how little this side of scope is used (or even known !) by most long time hardcore scope users.
Guess the routing flexibility of the SFP mode is the main benefit for most SC/Creamware cards buyers.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

garyb wrote:the downside is Scope doesn't have a dedicated hardware controller.
I'm workin' on that.....;)
Joel
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, you are. :D
dawman

Post by dawman »

I'm looking forward to the emulation of an emulation that all other platforms seem to have.
I just read some expert cacklings about how this new and improved Fairchild Compressor plug was based on the UAD Fairchild Comp.....???
WTF....??
Is this virtual gadgetry gone so far and stolen so much cash from the consumer crowd that we now can make money on emulations of an emulation...?

I promise all of my descendants are going to inherit my hardware so they don't get sucked into this fake facebook world of music.......its just insane.
In my next life I will be a VST developer with Graphics skills, and just open up a new company for every plug and have pretty pictures, but I think big tits will sell more plugs,...well for suckers like me at least.
I really missed out on all of this scamming. I was too busy learning Scope and replacing hardware for 4 1/2 years, but now I must start making VST versions of SDK and SC plugs, I could get rich as there seem to be thousands of suckers with unplucked feathers to steal from......

Especially MCCY, Shroomz and Sharcs stuff. Ironically their stuff is great and actually works, the VST versions don't have to work, just pass signals through and have pretty pictures.... :lol:
Then we can have forums for the emulations of the emulations where all of the scientists can come and discuss their various virtual voltages, and theories..........who knows............maybe even an 8 bar song can be made and sold for millions on Twitter.

I better get busy while the new consumers are still awestruck by the tits with knobs on the nipples.............
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, well...
DAS's Fairchild comp is based on a Fairchild comp, so at least we got that going for us...
dawman

Post by dawman »

Yeah but that's an emulation.
We still don't have an emulation of an emulation, so I am writing Holger and demanding he straigthen this out.
They are so far behind, especially since high latency apps are in, this realtime shit is so old and unnecessary now.............
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

easy bro.....big things are on the horizon.....;)
Joel
garyb

Post by garyb »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:Yeah but that's an emulation.
We still don't have an emulation of an emulation, so I am writing Holger and demanding he straigthen this out.
They are so far behind, especially since high latency apps are in, this realtime shit is so old and unnecessary now.............
my goodness, you're right! :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

Marshall emulated themselves 16 times via softube emulations of classic Marshall preamps and plugged em all into 1 unit.
garyb

Post by garyb »

ha! Scope is the ULTIMATE emulation!

it is the ONLY product that truly emulates all that happens with audio in the real world, in real time. the only problem is that there isn't any knowledge left about how and why all those audio tools were used in the first place. recording and mixing and even worse PERFORMANCE are all lost arts. when i hear this generation desribe the process, i cry. they have no idea and a bunch of tools. if they were building houses, many would be interesting, but most would be dangerous, at best.

the bad carpenter blames the tools.

if there's no end to the budget, get real gear, the kind most on the internet have never even seen. if the budget is limited, there are only a few ways to do first quality work. all of those involve dsps. that said, REALLY SKILLED engineers get awesome results from the stock plugins in Cubase.

don't watch the tool, watch the man that's behind it.

all that said, if i can't have TDM, i want Scope. in fact, unless i REALLY need to impress clients with the controller or the fact that i can handle 192k and my clients are willing to use a harddrive per song i'll take Scope. it interfaces better with hardware, so as my studio grows it'll be easier to use the new gadgets.

one can work with any tool, but some make the job easier or more possible than others. bad tools really do make it hard, even if you can't blame them. :lol:
dawman

Post by dawman »

Well Said..............
Now if I could just get the assistant to the assistant to bring me some coffee.... :roll:
garyb

Post by garyb »

lazy people. it's hard to get good help...
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I'm looking forward to the emulation of an emulation that all other platforms seem to have.
I just read some expert cacklings about how this new and improved Fairchild Compressor plug was based on the UAD Fairchild Comp.....???
WTF....??
Is this virtual gadgetry gone so far and stolen so much cash from the consumer crowd that we now can make money on emulations of an emulation...?

??? A Fairchild plug based on an UAD Fairchild plug ? :-? Wtf, where did you see that Jimmy ?
garyb

Post by garyb »

he makes joke, man. joke....
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

I'm wrestling with PT9 HD and XTC right now...

I did the pin 1 & 2 jumper trick, though that didn't make any difference to the problem I'm having, which is as follows...

I VST-RTAS wrapped the plug-ins (as per the PT7 XTC thread), and now the plug-ins load - the interfaces show up fine, and DSP usage in the XTC window goes up as more SC plug-ins are loaded, which suggests things are nearly there!

However, their outputs are all garbled... Just a kind of white-noise digital hash. The funny thing is, if I try playing a synth, the output changes slightly depending on what preset I use (ie. you can hear that the controls are doing something, but the output is still just weird digital noise - it's a bit like what used to happen to me when I loaded Lightwave in Sonar; the output was garbled until I loaded a preset other than the default one).

Does anyone have a clue as to how this might be made to work? I'm on PT9 HD (a 32-bit app) running Windows 7 x64 & Scope 5.1.

I wondered if it was a clocking issue, so I've now got Scope set to slave to ADAT, which is coming from my Digi 96 IO. That hasn't made a difference though... And to be honest, it's such a long time since I set XTC up on my XP rig that I've forgotten all the little tricks to getting it running smoothly.

Does anyone have any suggestions? So far, as I'm new to Scope v5/5.1, I've been doing things as per the bog-standard instructions (so I haven't fannied around with DLL/MDL files, or that little applet thing I remember using for XTC in v4.5). Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Chris