How big is the Sonic Core company?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

nmp

How big is the Sonic Core company?

Post by nmp »

Hello,

Just out of interest how big is sonic core actually?
Is it only a few people or ...

Regards,
nmp
astroman

Re: How big is the Sonic Core company?

Post by astroman »

the point isn't headcount, but capability and expertise...
I'm frequently working for a leading publisher here ... less than 20 people
in Germany you have to keep the headcount low, otherwise wages literally eat you up... ;)

cheers, Tom
maky325

Post by maky325 »

astroman wrote:the point isn't headcount, but capability and expertise...
I'm frequently working for a leading publisher here ... less than 20 people
in Germany you have to keep the headcount low, otherwise wages literally eat you up... ;)

cheers, Tom
I agree to some extent. Don't be silly. You can not run big company by yourself or with your next fella dude. Even if you are very capable and expert in field you simply don't have time to do everything. You need to have resources. That is why more headcount actually play big impact. I don't know how many people work for SC bu i am guessing less then a five which is still enough IMHO if they are dedicated and open. We can only speculate.
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

Who knows. have a look at the credits on the ? tab thing on the scope software. Should give an indication.

How ever many i love the lot of them for keeping this amazing product going and moving forward. :D :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

much less than 20. less than you thought possible...
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

garyb wrote:much less than 20. less than you thought possible...
Are these guys actually building the hardware units as well as all the software programming etc?
garyb

Post by garyb »

Liquid EDGE wrote:
garyb wrote:much less than 20. less than you thought possible...
Are these guys actually building the hardware units as well as all the software programming etc?

yes, although there are some people who are hired strictly for each purpose, afaik.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

SC is Two Guys in a Garage.

http://www.twoguysgarage.com/

:lol: :D
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I' just finished contracting with a company that only has 4 people, and two of them are engineers.
They have contracts with Intel and Broadcom.
The two engineers do everything and contract out the rest of the work as needed.

Greg
nmp

Post by nmp »

Well, if they are only 5 and are capable of doing the soft & hardware design & marketing of such a huge platform ... unbelievable.
astroman

Post by astroman »

maky325 wrote:
astroman wrote:...in Germany you have to keep the headcount low, otherwise wages literally eat you up... ;)
I agree to some extent. Don't be silly. You can not run big company by yourself or with your next fella dude. Even if you are very capable and expert in field you simply don't have time to do everything. You need to have resources. That is why more headcount actually play big impact. I don't know how many people work for SC bu i am guessing less then a five which is still enough IMHO if they are dedicated and open. We can only speculate.
you missed the meaning behind that line above.
a high headcount means tremendous costs, as an employer not only pays the (current) work, but also provides for future expenses, social security etc... so you outsource as much as possible (similiar what Greg mentioned)

With a capable core team you really CAN do it - those folks I mentioned SELL millions of books - physical, not literally.
That's why it is pointless to make a clue from headcount.

Afaik SonicCore has at least 4 members of the original DSP developement team - long time experts.
Try to put a dozen certified engineers in computer science at their position.
... and you won't get the work done any faster - in fact you'd rather miss the deadlines completely.
This simply does not work out as in automotive factory work.
It's a highly specialized domain with lots of insider experience - and you don't really have the time today to make your own experience (as an engineer), due to economic pressure.

It's a ridiculous comparison because they have this almost shy public appearance at SC, but when it comes down to work it's like this Superhero stuff we know from movies :D
The Phantastic Four are a more effective approach than a dumb army...

cheers, Tom
maky325

Post by maky325 »

astroman wrote:
maky325 wrote:
astroman wrote:...in Germany you have to keep the headcount low, otherwise wages literally eat you up... ;)
you missed the meaning behind that line above.
a high headcount means tremendous costs, as an employer not only pays the (current) work, but also provides for future expenses, social security etc... so you outsource as much as possible (similiar what Greg mentioned)

With a capable core team you really CAN do it - those folks I mentioned SELL millions of books - physical, not literally.
That's why it is pointless to make a clue from headcount.

Afaik SonicCore has at least 4 members of the original DSP developement team - long time experts.
Try to put a dozen certified engineers in computer science at their position.
... and you won't get the work done any faster - in fact you'd rather miss the deadlines completely.
This simply does not work out as in automotive factory work.
It's a highly specialized domain with lots of insider experience - and you don't really have the time today to make your own experience (as an engineer), due to economic pressure.

It's a ridiculous comparison because they have this almost shy public appearance at SC, but when it comes down to work it's like this Superhero stuff we know from movies :D
The Phantastic Four are a more effective approach than a dumb army...

cheers, Tom
Everything you said is right . But you have to look at SC result. Check their promises, release dates, MAC driver support, their website update and so on. Got it? They don't sell books and i doubt they are superheros! I am not questioning their vision or their latest product. I just see results. And still i wish them best and i hope for the best for Scope and Xite. That's all.

I am also enthusisastic as you guys but you have to put everything in the border of reality.
garyb

Post by garyb »

their results are a product, that while not perfect and having no mac version is one that's unbelievably useful and said to be impossible by the rest of the industry. they're doing well, though they have a very big pile to work on still.
astroman

Post by astroman »

be assured that 'selling books' isn't as easy as you might imagine, in particular to run a profitable business in todays media demands...
The superhero comparison certainly doesn't fit SC's self-conception (they're more the straight down to work type of guys), but it hits the accumulated power of knowledge pretty well.
The 'borders of reality' strike by complexity of (current )OS environments and multicore/memory architectures that even the respective suppliers fail to control.
See Gigabyte Bios issues as reported (just) on this board...

It IS difficult to establish 'ones own' product, when everything around you is just a mess of patchworking release after release after release just to keep the money rolling.
Got the opportunity to service a notebook with Win7 standard setup (as delivered) yesterday - OMG :roll:

Imho SC performs remarkably well under these conditions - and still keep supporting old stuff.

cheers, Tom
wayne

Post by wayne »

man, the mystery surrounding Scope and those who engineer it has always been a sticking point, but it keeps this forum ticking :D

i'm one of those who uses every corner of the Scope system to pay my rent in one way or another - the saving has enabled me to swerve some life-sapping musical jobs, and never use my powers for evil :) - something i couldn't do if i'd invested in any other system. Going on ten years that way, there's a depth to it now for me.
It's a narrow view, i know - some may also tag me fanboy, i'll wear it :)

But,as i know nada re dsp programming, OS related shenanigans etc., etc., i can only go on gut feeling :- 20 peeps @ SC - 'great job!' 10 people - 'struth! How'd ya do that?'

fond regards from Nyoongah country, mid- Kambarang season :)