reverbs

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ARCADIOS

reverbs

Post by ARCADIOS »

scopes RMX160 is really nice.
i have been recording vocals male(me :) and female this period and i i have tested many reverbs.

i would like some help here..even if the personal taste is wha matters.

i have tried scopes plugins and many other vst plugins.

Well.. Scopes RMX reverb seems to win always.....because has a more soft, fat, and round feeling

but there seem to be some interesting vsts also.
steinberg is always confusing... reverbs seem to be very chaotic and perhaps i need more knowledge to manage to have an aprovable vocal reverb.
on the other hand... samplitude has a very nice reverb.. the variverb, wich has a good. quality
sonar has some good but need to be configured also alot.
on the other hand some cheaper but promissing daws like Presonus Studio One have very good and ready to use reverbs for vocals.
waves also ....comfusing

i insist on vocal reverbs because i think that here is the most difficult and crucial for the final quality.
Any suggestions?
i am looking for reverbs that have been made for vocal (fat and juicy)
Andy_F

Re: reverbs

Post by Andy_F »

TC Electronic Classicverb is really nice.
In fact for many things i like it better than all the Scope, UAD or VST reverbs ive tried.

Not a very complicated reverb (nothing like Masterverb or the new v5 plate/ambiance) but it just sounds very lush with thick modulated reverb tails.

Its just a shame you need Powercore to run it. I sold my TC card recently but would certainly buy this plugin if they made a native version.

Ive heard the new Lexicon vst reverb is good but its also very expensive.

For Scope i really like this one.. http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php ... 76&start=0
Might be worth a try if you havent already?
hollo321

Post by hollo321 »

best vst reverb ive ever played with is by farr the lexicon pcm, it is very expensive $2000, alittle over priced if u ask me
Last edited by hollo321 on Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

please stop promoting warez here.....
astroman

Post by astroman »

for reference in that domain you may want to check out the examples of the Eventide 2016 reissue from Princeton. I have no idea if the VST plugin is on par with the hardware, but at least the latter can serve as a nice benchmark if you try to rebuild it by whatever is in your arsenal.
The page has dry and prcessed signals and even if you subtract some loss for the online compression you'll probably have a pretty hard time to match the 2016... let alone outperform it. ;)
It's an extremely simple yet effective device, specifically the stereo room (I didn't check the plate that much).

The one from hifiboom is also very good in my humble ears.
The STW P100 (now a stock Scope 5 device) needs some serious tweaking for specific tasks, but then it delivers great results.
The additional effort is quite natural, as it covers such a broad range of applications - it's amazing what you can do with it by careful tuning.

On the other hand you may get along with just the early reflections for vocals - I first noticed this on a setting of the old Yammie SPX 90. Often it's the tail that may blur things too much...

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

@ hollo- :) yes, the lexicon is a standard for a reason.

astro- i agree.
astroman

Post by astroman »

you also keep an SPX around for that purpose, don't you ? :D
I have to admit I really, really love the 2016... but I would spend the amount on a bass
Scope's reverbs aren't really THAT bad... :lol:

cheers, Tom
garyb

Post by garyb »

sure, i have an spx90ll. i have a dep5 and a couple other cool hardware verbs, too. i just use the p100 for most stuff.....
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Empty 250 is the best Native reverb i've tried that's algorithm. To my taste it really is very good. Try the demo here - http://emptyroomsystems.com/

From Native world i like Empty 250, and Wizooverb wich is convolution Far as best goes and IMO . From SCOPE i like p100/a100/i100/cd100 stock reverbs and Celmo Spring Reverberator, demo here - http://celmo.com/Spring_Reverberator_page.html .
dawman

Post by dawman »

GaryB.....
I just figured out why the DEP-5 wasn't storing user presets.
The battery is 32 years old.....!!!
We checked it out and it was crusty, so we went and got a few spares
with Solder mounts since it is Vertical, not horizontal like the removable BIOS batteries used on modern motherboards.
If you ever need to store user presets I can hook you up as I have a unit for spare parts
and bought extra batteries.
Look at the green goo this baby collected over the last century....

jpg images

imagehosting

uploading pictures
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Hifiboom's reverb for the scope platform is my favourite - not just my favourite reverb plug-in, but my favourite plug-in.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
nomagic

Post by nomagic »

There is an introductory sale for the new Eventide UltraReverb. What do you think about that?
Is it worth a try esp. in comparison with Eventide 2016?
dawman

Post by dawman »

I can sum it up easy for you.
With headphones and recordings, download a VST and demo it, as inside of a computer these verbs are all pretty much the same, but hardware costs for a new high end verb that will sound twice is good will cost 10 times as much.
Only when you perform or go outside of the box will you notice PC/Mac Reverbs all sound like they add artifacts to the audio source and then everyone says "Oh wow man,...listen to the tail."
The tail is not the action really, but whether the sound itself/audio source actually appears to be in a larger room or sewer, etc.
Live, hardware FX really eminate from the Cone of the speaker and sound so much better than the Apple/MSoft verbs.
I can't even use them live anymore as I am always left squinting...
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Aren't they all DSP,thus digital anyway?

I've always believed that computers sound different, even if they're all bit transparent, but I guess it's the algorithms that make the difference.
dante

Post by dante »

It's all about compute power. Once a dedicated Scope verb loads, the power it needs is already allocated.

With native plugs, that compute power is not preallocated but consumed dynamically, along with all other DAW and OS processes and services. To get around this issue, native coders build thier devices around chewing less cycles rather than getting the best sound.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Wow, Dante. That's about the best explanation in the least amount of words I've ever seen regarding the DSP vs. Native debate.

Determinism, Determinism, Determinism!!
dante

Post by dante »

Well, almost. To make it complete one could add a bit about Sharc chips math being more suited to audio calcs etc..

..but thanks for the kuddos :)
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

So I was right all along after all these years? :)

Thanks for that. I don't quite know the ins and outs of it but I'm glad my ears are working.