recording studios

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ARCADIOS

recording studios

Post by ARCADIOS »

if it isn't the right place (general scope discuission), we might transfer the conversation.

What i am looking for is opinions on how to start a recording studio business of capability to record up to a small orchestra.

I need information and your opinion counts.

Equipement..............(expensive or not-night be discuissed)
Basic knowledge of recording- mastering ............1 or 2 persons(depends)
Place that suits for becoming a recording studio.

Opinions on how this business runs nowdays at your place(country)
Expenses of everyday working........
Expenses that will appear shortly..........
general rules on how a studio owner gets payed.

etc.........................................
eliam

Re: recording studios

Post by eliam »

That is a broad subject to say the least. Do you have any business management skills/experience? If not it would be a good idea to get serious about it and find resources for business starting to make a solid business plan and learn what you need about that side of things. You'll be running a business first and foremost.

It is my conviction that success has more to do with the love you put into something and the purity of your intent than any other factor. People who come around you can feel that positive energy and it will attract good business. Of course you'll have to deliver the goods and be competent in your field.

I'd say don't be too much of a purist when it comes to equipment, people make the magic, and a good musician will sound good even on a cheap instrument. Of course it depends on your personal goals, tastes and music style, but it is surprising how good can sound "low end" equipment when used by competent hands and hears.

Check this site : www.lineaudio.se I have their quad mic and I'm totally happy with it, it sounds gorgeous! Their 8 preamps rack seems pretty nice too, I'd probably get it if I needed many preamps.

Partnerships with other studios can be helpful, why buy everything twice! Rental should be considered as well.

A good mixing room is probably the most expensive component and is absolutely vital if you want to hear what's going on in your mixes.

Good luck with your endeavour!

E