SCOPE 64 Bit beta..........?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: SCOPE 64 Bit beta..........?

Post by dawman »

I had a girlfriend that broke up with me every week after seeing me in the company of other fine women at my gig. She would drop in unannounced and then stomp off swearing she would never see me again.
This worked out really well for me, becasue most women who like the company of musicians notice another fine lady acting all crazy and shit and figured I must be somewhat skillful in the darker arts.
And I also could just call her up at 3 or 4:00am and know that making up every week was even more fun.
Scope is very similar. You can break up with the DSP cards and use some 32bit bridged " 64bit " application, but once the drivers are released, you will gladly chose the sexier, better sounding choice.
garyb

Post by garyb »

:P
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Comparing Soniccore to 'those Steinberg guys'....are you serious?
Customer support?

apples and oranges I'm afraid.

You can always buy into some cheap (supposedly 64-bit) M-audio unit and slave your Scope stuff, but hey noone wants to belabor themselves over that. They'd rather complain when EVERY FRIGGIN' company doesn't jump on the latest bandwagon at the same time.
The VST guys are just NOW getting 64-bit working.

I think the guys in Germany should just drive down the autobahn and freakin' help SC out instead of sitting back and complaining. It unconstructive.

Besides, noone seems to call Steinberg on their 64-bit crap. Only the front-end is 64-bit for memory handling, but internally it's all still 32 - and Steinberg was YEARS late in even being able to handle 32-bit. So it's all relative to how much marketing fodder we buy into vs. the practicality of development requirements to get it right.

64-bit Scope will be here just when you least expect it.

http://www.uaudio.com/webzine/2010/febr ... pport.html

G
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
soylent.green

Post by soylent.green »

astroman wrote: have fun in VST universe, Tom :D
(btw I really liked some of your music, hope you can keep up it's (aural) quality)
Hi Tom,
nice feedback that is. Thank you. I've uploaded my latest cubase and free VST stuff only track:
http://forums.planetz.com/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=29084
You can probably check for your self whether I was able to keep up quality (though I really doubt that most people would attribute "good quality" to my stuff...)

---
@all other replies:
At least now I know that planetz community is still thriving and full of enthusiams for sonic-core;-)
I hope you didn't get my previous post wrong. I would like to keep up with using my sonic core stuff. but I wonder were the company is going and I wonder if I would want to go with them were they are going. And I really, really, really hate that they are not telling use what's going on. Today there are so much useless blogs, twitter feeds and other means of communication around...why isn't there a sonic core developer blog? Why is there no latest news at all? I see that they've built a new modular and stuff...I'm not interessted because I'm not going to invest in new stuff as long as my old cards aren't fully functional at all.

BTW: Someone posted a link to uad that is supposed to shed some light onto the 64bit hype in context of music production. Thanks for the link! Because I'm a profesional software engineer, believe me I know the difference between 64bit-based systems and 64bit processing...thank's for the link nevertheless. But currently I have the need to run some sun virtual box VMs in parallel and these 6GB of ram are rather helpful...
garyb

Post by garyb »

why?
because they're busy. they don't have time for blogs and such, there aren't enough people. Holger has been answering his emails at 2 and 3 in the morning because that's when he gets to them. between Solaris, Scope, Xite production and another audio software company, they are plenty busy. they can either hold your hand or do the work. THEY ARE DOING THE WORK. you can have good faith about that or not, but they are still doing the work and 64bit is well on the way. unofficially, there ARE beta testers. you DO want to have everything working properly, or pretty darn close, right?

it cannot be done any faster than it gets done, sorry. i would love to see you get your 64bit version monday. i really would. i would like to see osx next week, and that's no lie.
MMC

Post by MMC »

I don't have a problem with a beta-version. How to get it?
When my system sometimes crashes with the beta, it's ok. It's just beta - I know and I can live with that the next weeks until the release of the final version!
For me ist important to build my 64-bit win7 soon because Adobe's cs5 which is only working on a 64 bit system!
Please Gary, tell me, how I can get the beta...
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

MMC wrote:I don't have a problem with a beta-version. How to get it?
When my system sometimes crashes with the beta, it's ok. It's just beta - I know and I can live with that the next weeks until the release of the final version!
For me ist important to build my 64-bit win7 soon because Adobe's cs5 which is only working on a 64 bit system!
The V5.x release that's posted on the SC website IS the latest beta.
...and no, it's not 64-bit - yet.

Greg
Xite rig - ADK laptop - i7 975 3.33 GHz Quad w/HT 8meg cache /MDR3-4G/1066SODIMM / VD-GGTX280M nVidia GeForce GTX 280M w/1GB DDR3
garyb

Post by garyb »

MMC wrote:I don't have a problem with a beta-version. How to get it?

you can't. i don't have it either and if it was ready for you, it'd be available. geez, guys!
i really don't have such connections!(didn't i mention unofficial?) :lol:

if you were really doing anything important, crashes would be unnacceptable anyway.
astroman

Post by astroman »

In can only repeat the obvious:
put Scope in a PC from the thrashbin - Pentium 3 or 4, replace the HD by CompactFlash device
classic IO gives you 16 channels of Adat IO
Put an Adat card into your 64bit whatever box and off you go
If you choose RME for the latter you might even be able to reclock your Scope converters to their high precision clock signal. As an additional bonus...
I assume they don't lie about their capabilities in this domain as noone ever proved them wrong ;)
then it doesn't matter when a 64bit version of SFP will be released, as it will be anyway

cheers, Tom
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

I have also been waiting for the 64bit drivers since I bought this laptop a few months back. But while waiting I installed Win 7 32bit and am running XITE-1 on that. Apart from the odd few bugs which SC are aware of I believe, it works well. So at the moment I would suggest doing the same. I know that SC stated 64bit would be ready soon and so far this has taken longer that we all expected, but as it stands they aren't ready yet so I think one just has to be a bit more patient. It will happen soon. All software developers have a habit of announcing things before they are ready, I think that is just the name of the game, so as users we have to live with it for a little while.

We all want things to be ready yesterday, but I would rather that SC released a stable update when it is done than release one now that wasn't. And I am sure SC are working very hard to get Scope 5 64bit ready as soon as they can.

Meanwhile...I'll go start pouring myself a pint of Guinness :)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

t_tangent wrote:
Meanwhile...I'll go start pouring myself a pint of Guinness :)
That's a great idea. :D

Greg
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

+1 :wink:
Joel
valis

Post by valis »

astroman wrote:In can only repeat the obvious:
put Scope in a PC from the thrashbin - Pentium 3 or 4, replace the HD by CompactFlash device
classic IO gives you 16 channels of Adat IO
Put an Adat card into your 64bit whatever box and off you go
If you choose RME for the latter you might even be able to reclock your Scope converters to their high precision clock signal. As an additional bonus...
I assume they don't lie about their capabilities in this domain as noone ever proved them wrong ;)
then it doesn't matter when a 64bit version of SFP will be released, as it will be anyway

cheers, Tom
Happily running my Scope cards in an 8 year old Xeon (P4 era) box, connected to the RME in my main box via midi/adat/aes & analog i/o from all above to my humble mixing board. So I still highly recommend Tom's "downward economy" mode to Scope+64bit bliss!
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well all I can add is that my worst experiences have been with Steinberg - truly awful company. I have only just got Cubase 5 after been MIA after VST5/32 (because I couldn't get on with Reaper and needed what I know). Really, they treat their customers with contempt most of the time and for such a market 'leader' their updates are very slow when you think of the corporation behind them. If I had to choose between Scope and Cubase there would be no contest - any 'recorder' will do thank you.
ARCADIOS

Post by ARCADIOS »

every pass to a next technology period is complicated
32bit to 64bit now. in the future 64 to 128bit...etc...
astroman

Post by astroman »

to be honest... it's not complicated at all
it's as simple as a leash to hold the customer ;)
mess up the base as much as possible so noone can ever step out without requesting your service
Bill and Steve surely praise the Lord everyday that he blessed pro- and consumers with an almost infinite amount of ignorance. :D

cheers, Tom
iSiStOy

Post by iSiStOy »

astroman wrote:it's as simple as a leash to hold the customer ;)
mess up the base as much as possible so noone can ever step out without requesting your service
Bill and Steve surely praise the Lord everyday that he blessed pro- and consumers with an almost infinite amount of ignorance. :D
Soooo true :)
auricle

Post by auricle »

Interestingly, I sent an email to them just to see if they will shed any light on the release.

I got this reply today:
Hi Daniel,

we have only the internal beta with ASIO working, but
no WAVE, Sampler, VDAT and some other driver related things.

We think we can have a version ins about
one month.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards
Dipl.-Ing. Ralf Dressel
A couple of things of interest here. 1) It was exactly the same reply I got from them a couple of months ago 2) It's from Ralf!! Didn't he leave??
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

auricle wrote:Interestingly, I sent an email to them just to see if they will shed any light on the release.

I got this reply today:
Hi Daniel,

one month.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Dipl.-Ing. Ralf Dressel
A couple of things of interest here. 1) It was exactly the same reply I got from them a couple of months ago 2) It's from Ralf!! Didn't he leave??
There's another Ralf at SC.
Nice guy.

Greg
organix

Post by organix »

auricle wrote:Interestingly, I sent an email to them just to see if they will shed any light on the release.

I got this reply today:
Hi Daniel,

one month.

Regards,
Ralf

--
Dipl.-Ing. Ralf Dressel
I got the same reply 2 months ago. It seems that driver development isn't a prior task at SC. :-(
I think I'll never buy a new system from SC, I'm really dissapointed about their support. It's absolutely necessary in the professional audio market to support modern and actual hardware. Windows 64bit is available many years and it's better not to speak about Mac support.
http://www.neotrax.de
German Soundtrack and Film-Score Artist Community.