Whats the best Analog style filter on scope??

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

lunaorbit

Whats the best Analog style filter on scope??

Post by lunaorbit »

I am looking at buying a Sherman filter or similar.
But I had the thought that maybe scope has a filter that can get a similar result.

Any Suggestions of which filters would bring the analog touch and how do they compare?

Thanx
wayne

Re: Whats the best Analog style filter on scope??

Post by wayne »

I like the flexor filters
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

The much forgotten Interpole?
lunaorbit

Post by lunaorbit »

Hey the Interpole looks great, i will give this a good shot.
Its great to have V5 now all the xtra goodies.
:lol:
Mydriasis

Post by Mydriasis »

I like routing things into Minimax for filter + distortion.
The great thing about Scope is that you can create unique combinations of distortion plugins followed by filters etc

Used to own a Sherman FB2 and of course it was much more extreme sounding but also much harder to work with.
Sherman was great for unpredictable distorted madness, but limited by being mono and no way to store patches. Very expensive too. Somedays i regret selling it but i wouldnt say its a every day use bit of gear, where as the Scope cards are.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

Mr Arkadin wrote:The much forgotten Interpole?
How would you compare it to the ones in 5.0? I gather, this had to be bought from Creamware, or it came with the Noah?. If so...how do I get my hands on Interpole now?
thanking you in advance... :wink:
Joel
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

netguyjoel wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:The much forgotten Interpole?
If so...how do I get my hands on Interpole now?
it's include in mix & master pack. if this was your selection when upgrading to 4.5 / 5.0, you already own it.
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
netguyjoel

Post by netguyjoel »

Ahh, I'm firing up the XITE this week (prob Wed)....good to know..thanx! :)

Have not played w/ 5.0 PCI very much...I have been delayed by some minor setbacks, (hardware as well as a pouring a new concrete driveway...$$$OUCH!) And building the new PC for the XITE. Then I'll try to install the Pulsar II, next to the XITE (just for the 32 midi channels)..but that's another topic.... :wink: thanx again...
Joel
borg

Post by borg »

if only RedMuze would release Phil... I've had the pleasure to test this device a few years ago, although with limited functionality at the time, but man... the sound!
I know several guys that have a Sherman, and all say it is great for sound design, but there are more reliable (read predictable) options for live work.

as JV would say... "bust muzes' balls"
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Mydriasis

Post by Mydriasis »

On the subject of Sherman Filterbank

I found this video on youtube a while back, a great interview with the man behind the monster filter :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJB76-dnf2U
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BWcdxqoJlA
dawman

Post by dawman »

I like to use Prowave or Solaris and then the RD Slots so I can use all of the luscious SpaceF, Bowen, Adern Flexor, Roy. and SDK filters. I like 'em all.
The way I compare them is to route my analog synths raw Oscillator waveforms into Scope ( a trick Logic just figured out, and Cubase discovered with Vrs. 5.0 ) and try and recreate certain presets. Of course they all have different sounds, usually associated in how the resonance reacts. The SSM, CEM, and Moog from Prowave sound very similar until you attach the resonance. Scope filters won't sound as good as my analog but they have a great sound that leans analog while retaining the best quality of Digital.
But the fact I have so many and they all have different personalities, is what I find pleasure from.
Scope has a huge edge on Combs compared to my analogs though.

And Yes, Imquiring <inds Want To Know, I am feverish for the VST version of Flexor and FIV for the XITE-1, so I am busting Red's Balls..........ocassionally. :wink:
Ben Walker

Post by Ben Walker »

Wavelength's transfusion was great fun to use and had some similarities to the Sherman filterbank I think.
I think you can still download it from here
Well worth a look.
Gatam

Post by Gatam »

borg wrote:if only RedMuze would release Phil... I've had the pleasure to test this device a few years ago, although with limited functionality at the time, but man... the sound!
I know several guys that have a Sherman, and all say it is great for sound design, but there are more reliable (read predictable) options for live work.

as JV would say... "bust muzes' balls"
Do you know if Something about Phil or GrainMiller Release by Adern ?
borg

Post by borg »

Gatam wrote:Do you know if Something about Phil or GrainMiller Release by Adern ?
Nope, sorry... some day, but i guess native Flexor and Flexor 4 for scope are more important at the moment, as well as his production projects...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
Gatam

Post by Gatam »

borg wrote:
Gatam wrote:Do you know if Something about Phil or GrainMiller Release by Adern ?
Nope, sorry... some day, but i guess native Flexor and Flexor 4 for scope are more important at the moment, as well as his production projects...
Thanks for your answer
(my question was so strange with this "if" inside :o :lol: )

The Sherman Filters are so heavy and Fat, is it possible to get these sounds with some Scope plugins ?
(i m going to try transfusion as soon as i can)
ChampionSound

Post by ChampionSound »

Nobody has mentioned "D-Filter" by D-Mute yet. I love it! :)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Didn't even know d-mute were still active. It pays to advertise (at least on planet z).
lunaorbit

Post by lunaorbit »

I will check out the dmute filter, but its an extra 59 euro when I already have the interpole.
Downloading the dmute filter demo now !!

I like the interpole, it does sound nice, but a lot of volume is lost, you have to turn up the drive to compensate the volume loss.

I will put these 2 filters to the test.
at0m

Post by at0m »

Used to own a Sherman too. Great fun, but not a great example of stability. And extreme knob ranges also stands for tough tuning. Would be pretty hard to use live, it'd be at best in a recording studio so you can have a couple go's. Admittedly, the unit I had was one of the very early v1 models with MIDI, I hear things improved over the years.

As much as I appreciate Herman the Sherman's work, Scope's modular (esp. with Flexor) does all that, more and better IMO. Don't let modular scare you: it's easy to insert just a filter in a path. And add some LFO modulation. Then have the LFO retrigger. Or load an envelope follower for auto-wah. And soon you'll kick yourself in the head for not having bought that larger monitor :lol:
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

Modular or a Bowen synth is the best way to use Oscillators and Filters.
Dozens of options for Oscillators and FIlters.
I cannot post patches since they were made for the XITE-1, so instead a jpeg. of widespread modules for easy viewing.
I use HiFiBooms Filter because of it's extreme resonance. It's so extreme a 3 o'clock position is all I require.
But I use many other filters as well. Flexor, SpaceF, RoyT. and Bowen are great.
For really thick analog sound add a Saturation Module from Flexor, and if your are really brave one of Shroomz Tube Filters for Modular.
HIFIBOOM 9 VOICE.jpg