SPL Transient Designer v5.0

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dbmac

Re: SPL Transient Designer v5.0

Post by dbmac »

I 'm disappointed with TD v.5 GUI - no input level control, no (useful) level metering - why the new look with reduced function? These are significant deficiencies.

/dave
astroman

Post by astroman »

dunno about the internals, but I always suspected TD might have severe problems with low frequency transients.
One of my basses makes it distort even with reduced level when no meter indicates overload.

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

After playing with the new version on several different types of source material, I prefer the older TD.
I can hear a major difference w/ the Attack levels when adjusting to the left or right channels.
I would like the quickie presets to be smooth when switching, or if that isn't possible have a preset list.
As it is now the quickies only work smoothly when there aren't drastic amounts in the parameter difference.
I do like the linkable option but I would like some metering other than the miniature LED approach.
We actually have the same GUI as the RTAS guys now, but I am sure they would agree the older version is more versatile.
But at least the new version can be upgraded in the future and the added XTC folder w/ the 2 x dll. files is obviously a sign of better integration w/ audio/MIDI sequencers.
Wired

Post by Wired »

bummer, i bought it last week, ....i think thats the thing, ....with software, ...don't buy the 'new thing', ...it can be a waste of money
astroman

Post by astroman »

sorry, see details further down...
Last edited by astroman on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
astroman

Post by astroman »

... even more further...
Last edited by astroman on Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nightscope

Post by nightscope »

Last edited by nightscope on Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Women and rhythm-section first!”
valis

Post by valis »

astroman wrote:now things becomes even more confusing:
the file below contains only deep tones, first plain then with TD
I do hear a lot more distortion in the mixer's monitor out, than in the file.
In fact (to my ears) there's almost no severe stuff reflected in the file.
The clean channel doesn't distort at all, but the TD channel does heavily (the device isn't inserted, but before the mixer).
Obviously the direct outs deliver the proper signal to VDAT.
Wtf is going on ???

sorry for messing things, Tom
I assume you're soloing back & forth of course. Mp3 encoding alters the original file's peak behaviour, upload a FLAC or something similar if you can?

I've not got the TD plugin for scope, but have noticed many transient 'enhancers' seem optimized for percussive or midrange-heavy material. Which isn't to say they're not useful on a kickdrum or tom, but rather it seems like their algorithms have been optimized more for initial noise/impulse type attack than a low frequency peak + pick/pluck transient (ie, bass guitar/synth).
astroman

Post by astroman »

Valis quotes from an earlier post that I deleted after it turned out that the observation wasn't related to Transient Designer, but to a damaged project file that made me go nuts...
There was a significant amount of distortion in the monitor path, but only occasionally on records - sometimes it was, sometimes not.
Whatever was messed in the project didn't affect 'clean' signals, but just TD ... and even worse: almost exclusively low frequency signals with heavy transients and long decays...
I'll switch to a procedure to exchange project files on a regular schedule from now on, I feel f*cked... :roll: :D

cheers, Tom
:oops:
dawman

Post by dawman »

WoW, that's an idea I hadn't thought of.
I have dozens of 2" Tapes and albums and have been wanting to transfer them to another media. TD could be sweet for that.
I also have several several unmastered tapes from the Otari MX80 I would love to master in Scope someday, so I can play w/ OptiMaster, Impressor, Attacker or TD.
I bet Vinyl sounds great.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

In the manual, SPL states that the TD will often not be suitable for mastering. But try it and decide for yourself :)
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
valis

Post by valis »

astroman wrote:Valis quotes from an earlier post that I deleted after it turned out that the observation wasn't related to Transient Designer, but to a damaged project file that made me go nuts...
There was a significant amount of distortion in the monitor path, but only occasionally on records - sometimes it was, sometimes not.
Whatever was messed in the project didn't affect 'clean' signals, but just TD ... and even worse: almost exclusively low frequency signals with heavy transients and long decays...
I'll switch to a procedure to exchange project files on a regular schedule from now on, I feel f*cked... :roll: :D

cheers, Tom
:oops:
Ah that explains it. Sorry for quoting your misery for posterity, but glad you found the source of it :P
astroman

Post by astroman »

your quote of the old post sums it up pretty well, so the reading sequence isn't too much distorted.
But the lengthy (deleted) content would just distract too much from the topic.

Actually I had noticed this before, but the phenomenon came and went with no obvious pattern.
As I also switched the instrument (in the meantime) my assumption was that the latter bass had something to do with it, because it can deliver a deeper and much more impacting tone due to strings and pickup.
Except for the impedance mismatch, it can drive a poweramp without a pre... as a passive bass... :o

But the most confusing thing was that monitor output was clearly different from record out :-?
At least I have a reliable test-procedure now to check project integrity.

Imho TD has the 'problem' to increase fatigue if overused, a constant tempt in many circumstances.
Contrary to the documentation it has (according to rumors) found it's way quickly into the vocal racks of 'idol shows' and the like. ;)
I found a tiny bit of it extremely useful to freshen up vinyl restorations, as declicker algorithms have a tendency to smooth things too much.
And of course to reduce the effect of over-reverbed tracks with it's decay reduction.

cheers, Tom
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

This is particularly effective if you set up a Mid/Side matrix and only use TD on the Side component of the signal, as that's where a lot of the reverb will be contained. That way you're not messing around too much with centrally panned instruments like snares, vocals and bass.

Cheers!

Chris
katano

Post by katano »

chriskorff wrote:This is particularly effective if you set up a Mid/Side matrix and only use TD on the Side component of the signal, as that's where a lot of the reverb will be contained. That way you're not messing around too much with centrally panned instruments like snares, vocals and bass.

Cheers!
Chris
yep, and mind you have to insert TD in the mid signal, too, just without adjusting attack/sustain. else, you'll get some phase problems due to sample delay introduced by TD.

cheers
roman
valis

Post by valis »

You can still wind up with phase issues because the devices (and/or portions thereof) may wind up on different dsps, or even on different boards (assuming they're installed.) Personally I would just 'test' the phase of the Mid signal to the Side+TD signal with some sort of impulse/click routed through and recorded back into my sequencer, and adjust it using RedMuze's "phasefix-x" or similar tool. Once corrected that way you're assured phase is sample accurate, and good to go.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

just for fun, it would be interesting to see how many instances scope xite-1 can run of SPL Transient Designers ...

and then comapre the numbers to....

UAD-2 QUAD can load
- 92 stereo instances
- 108 mono instances

UAD-2 DUO
- 46 stereo instances
- 54 mono instances

UAD-2 SOLO
- 23 stereo instances
- 27 mono instances
katano

Post by katano »

hifiboom wrote:just for fun, it would be interesting to see how many instances scope xite-1 can run of SPL Transient Designers ...

and then comapre the numbers to....

UAD-2 QUAD can load
- 92 stereo instances
- 108 mono instances

UAD-2 DUO
- 46 stereo instances
- 54 mono instances

UAD-2 SOLO
- 23 stereo instances
- 27 mono instances
yeah, let's! i like c*ck measuring :lol:
dante

Post by dante »

I have an older Transient Designer with pictures of the envelopes. The new GUI looks spiffier, but having a graphic of the envelope seems to be more informative about how its shaping the signal ... or am I missing something...?
astroman

Post by astroman »

it's just a different visual feedback - after all the angle of the knob in either direction defines the intensity of processing.
I typically dial in a positions based on experience (out of about 5-8 different ones).
Only small adjustments required, if at all. For a new type of sound I tweak a bit more, but mostly one of the 'proven' settings is ok.
It's so quick that I wouldn't even mind presets :D

cheers, Tom