Is there /will there be a convolution reverb for scope ?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Iokanaan

Is there /will there be a convolution reverb for scope ?

Post by Iokanaan »

Hi to all,

I was just wondering if there was an already existing (or coming in the v5 version of Scope) convolution reverb that runs on the dsp of the card.

thanks for your answers.
Best Regards.
next to nothing

Re: Is there /will there be a convolution reverb for scope ?

Post by next to nothing »

Hi

The basic answer (atleast for the Scope PCI cards) is No.

Xite-1 have better bandwith properties and more onboard ram, so it might be a bigger possibility there, but i am not sure if any 3rd party developers will focus on this. Atleast none have signaled they will at the time being.
A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
valis

Post by valis »

I think 3rd party dev's would have to rely on new dsp modules being made, as the 'brute force' math approach that Assaf's stuff uses would probably be woefully inefficient for any sort of real IR processing. Correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have a current SDK on hand to actually verify this.

There's no reason why S|C can't facilitate this with the right dev (hint hint) or take it on themselves once they've completed the Sisyphean mountain of work they already have undertaken.
starcorp

Post by starcorp »

i think it makes no sense for scope.
the sound of a convolution reverb depends on the ir processing, thats what cpu´s can handle as well. there is no special algorithm needed.
regards! jan
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

starcorp wrote:i think it makes no sense for scope.
I agree. I think it would be a waste of the dsps.
valis

Post by valis »

Reverb wouldn't make sense to studio users but it might to others. However there are more uses for IR than just reverb alone. A lot of PSP & some of Voxengo's stuff seems to use short impulses for the saturation algorithms for instance.

Anyway I don't need another IR reverb myself so I agree really, just thinking that it may not be as impossible as it once was.
eliam

Post by eliam »

Imo convolution deserves a place of choice in the musician's arsenal, and it is MUCH wider in its application than reverb or delay. Take a look at the spectral relativity package and you'll quickly realize the scope of it for sound mangling and texturing. A waste of dsp? I find this remark a bit narrow-minded because everyone's needs are unique, and for one I wouldn't mind to have the possibility to convolute inside of scope. Maybe an x-ite would provide the headroom needed for a resource-intensive process...

The latest convolution application is nebula's multiple convolution kernels, allowing to break free from the static nature of simple convolution. I think it sounds awesome but there is much to develop to make it really user-friendly, although I may be mistaken.

Having this kind of application inside of scope? With the level of quality which we scopers enjoy everyday? Yes baby, that would be awesome!! Maybe not *that* necessary, but still, most of us reach for scope synths and FX when there are multiple non-dsp alternatives, so why would it be different with convolution?

:)
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I was only referring to convolution based reverbs. There's already loads of those on the market & doubt that having them in Scope would be worthwhile. The OP did specifically ask about a convo reverb for Scope. :)
valis

Post by valis »

I actually like Audio Damage's stuff, they have a sensible approach to pricing & support, and make plugins that are musically useful. However for a verb I think I'd prefer their cheap ratshack reverb imitation, it's full of character and has a nice lo-fi contrast to my other tools like Scope (I actually have the hardware version of that in a box somewhere too, so it might be nostalgia on my part.) Also a fan of their Discord & Phase Two plugins...