MasterVerb

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Matti

MasterVerb

Post by Matti »

Hi, I would ask what kind congenial settings are You used by Vocal (Male) In MasterVerb?

Reverb:
RevDelay?
Room Size?
Diffuse?
Definition?
and Time?, Shape?
or
Early Refl:
ER Type?
ER Spread?
ER Decay?
ER Shape?
and Delay ms?

,Yours Matti
alfonso

Re: MasterVerb

Post by alfonso »

Try the presets and you'll find one that comes close to what you're after. Then use your ears and tweak it.

It all depends on the song and on the vision you have of it...there is not a general rule, your question as it is has no answer. What I feel to suggest is to take your final decisions about reverbs when you have everything recorded and use them to build the dimension and the spaces in a global vision. What you put in a soloed track will not stay that way in the whole mix, this is valid for everything, not only reverb.
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

RevDelay?

The amount of time that elapses between hearing the direct sound and then hearing the room's effect on it. This has a massive bearing on the listener's perception of...

Room Size?

Which (in the context of synthesized reverb) can be taken to mean the even-ness of the frequency response of the reverb (smaller rooms tend to reverberate for longer durations at lower frequencies, for example).

Diffuse?

Imagine an empty room - nothing there, only the walls, floor and ceiling. That is a very non-diffuse room, which means that reflections occur in very straight, predictable lines (like balls around a pool/snooker table). If you had bookshelves full of randomly angled objects and such, that would be more diffuse, and so reflections would occur less predictably.

Definition?

I'm a bit less sure on this one... If I recall, it adjusts the 'attack' phase of the reverb, which presumably would aid your ability to define the source's location in your synthesized space.

Time?

How long the reverb goes on for - this is also has a bearing on the percieved size of the room (as sound waves will travel further before bouncing off reflective objects and returning to the listener), but it will not change the relationship between low- and high-frequency ringing that occurs (as a result of how you set the 'Room size' parameter).

Shape?

Can't remember.

Early Refl:

That is a control for adjusting the level of the early reflections, relative to everything else.

ER Type?

I think this just changes the early reflections algorithm, but don't quote me.

ER Spread?

Again, can't remember.

ER Decay?

Probably something to do with the reflective/absorbant properties of the walls and floor, in that it will adjust how quickly the sound of the early reflections die out (longer in a tiled room, shorter in a room covered with absorbant materials).

ER Shape?

Again, can't remember.

and Delay ms?

Can't remember what that applies to in Masterverb - there are many places where delay can be applied in a synthetic reverb.

As the Fonz said earlier though, you should definitely use your ears! As a nice and easy excercise, set your masterverb up so that the 'Reverb' level control is most of the way down, the 'Room Size' is somewhere near the bottom as well, the 'Early Reflection' control is quite high, turn the 'Diffusion' and 'Definition' knobs right down, and (assuming I've remembered all the Masterverb parameters correctly, which isn't a certainty!) in theory whatever you chuck through the 'verb will sound like it's in a tiled bathroom - because the room is small, there is minimal diffusion, and you get a 'flutter echo'.

Try going to your bathroom (which I mean in the English sense - ie. the room with the bath in it, and not the crapper!) and clap a few times. Eventually it'll click, and you'll be able to hear how changing the parameters will change your perception of the size of the room, and that room's surfaces.

Cheers!

Chris

(Slightly drunk, could be wrong, happy to be corrected).

:)
Matti

Post by Matti »

Thanks for the Answer, Yours Matti
grappa

Post by grappa »

To echo (no pun) the other responses - there is no right or wrong answer to this question.

You might to go and read this;

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul08/a ... everb1.htm

Simon