recommendations for microphone to go with FMR

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

ironman

recommendations for microphone to go with FMR

Post by ironman »

hey guys im in process of buying my first mic/preamp which i know nothing about. I need advise on getting a microphone(one preferably under 200 euros) to go good with preamp, FMR RNP , which i decided to get because of all the talk about it on the forum. i need something that will produce clean sound, no noise. using for male vocal work and trumpet, only recording-no live work. ne suggestions?
cheers
Last edited by ironman on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Crickstone

Re: recommendations for microphone to go with FMR

Post by Crickstone »

Check out KEL mics you might be able to afford two. Not bad for the price.
erminardi

Post by erminardi »

I like very much SE electronics 2200A for voice and instuments :)
It's also available a tube version of this model that's ok with your solid state FMR.
SE electronics is IMO a very good brand for good'n cheap mics!

Cheers
4PC + Scope 5.0 + no more Xite + 2xScope Pro + 6xPulsarII + 2xLunaII + SDK + a lot of devices (Flexor III & Solaris 4.1 etc.) + Plugiator.
eliam

Post by eliam »

www.lineaudio.se

Their ldc mics are awesome, I bet their preamps are as good.
garyb

Post by garyb »

quite a few of the lower priced condensor mics are actually from either the 333 or ADK factories, and so are basically the same mics.

all of those listed here will do a good job. ADK and Marshall are two other brand names to check out. the Rodes are the same capsules and are fine as well. Audio technica has several nicely priced condensors, too. the AT2020 is very cheap and it's fine. the AT4033 can be found reasonably priced and it's a real mic...
ironman

Post by ironman »

well i wasnt able to find ne good deals on most the mics u guys listed, and after spending 500 on the preamp am kind of on a budget for a mic now and am trying to spend less than $250. aftr a lot of research came across a few mics that have all have good reviews and found a few really good deals, like the marshall and 3035 mics. need help deciding on a mic from this list, if theres little to no difference ill get one of the cheaper ones, and if so which one, and if the shure or 4040 are much better which one to get?? cheers
marshall mxl v-88:$120
at 3035:$120
shure ksm27:$200
at 4040:$223
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'd go with the 4040 if you can afford it. it's pretty smooth. the ksm would be second. the $200 and $300 mics tend to be a pretty significant upgrade over the $100 mics. the reason? the condensor electronics are better in the more expensive mics, so they're less brittle.

all of those mics will do a nice job for you. none will be the best for everything, but all will be great for most things.

jmho...

-different Marshall company Jim.... :lol:
valis

Post by valis »

I can second the AT 4040 recommendation, I've actually got a 4033a here and am quite happy with it (though of course I'm willing to consider more in the future!)
ironman

Post by ironman »

cool cheers 4040 it is :)
valis

Post by valis »

Might also suggest you have a decent boom to hang that on (one that isn't going to tip over & ruin your recording or mic) and a decent pop filter (or 'made' substitute) if you're intending to record any vocalists who have volume.