Creamware Development Kit ??

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

PetitDragon

Post by PetitDragon »

Hi !

I'm a new happy user of Luna II board and I begin to explore some free modules ( or Cmw emo product ).
But but .... how to obtain more info to try to code my own module ?
Pulsar or scope owners have any SDK or particular users are not allowed to develop on Creamware board ?
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

You need SCOPE/DP
marcuspocus

Post by marcuspocus »

Or maybe just the Modular2 !!!!

This one's GREAT! :grin:

Post by PetitDragon »

Modular 2 is sent with a dev kit ?

Hmm ... I believe to have Modular2 software on my Luna installation CD (but no key obviously :wink: ) and no dev kit it seems.

No freeware kit ?
I'm going to ask Creamware about it.
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

He's just saying the Modular2 gives you more stuff to play with in a quicker-to-use fashion than any other method of development currently. You can't make devices, but you have a lot of flexibility with your modular patches.

There is no FREE SDK, otherwise I would have one and be developing for the platform right now.
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

Take notice, too, that using the modular synth can sometimes take even less DSP than a functionally identical hard-wired Scope device. I'm dying for the Red Dwarf, talk about a perfect combination of the versatility of a modular & the clean GUI of a hard-wired synth.
Micha

Post by Micha »

maybe you want to try the Obsidian Toolbox (15$) at http://www.obsidianuk.com, you can do MANY things with it. And: whatever else you'll get, the Toolbox is always useful!
claes

Post by claes »

i just ordered toolbox, so i hope it's useful. well it's gotta be worth the $15 at least :smile:

now i'm just waiting for that damn mail from guy..
mano

Post by mano »

No freeware kit ?
I'm going to ask Creamware about it.
dont ask... it costs 8000 dollars to get a SCOPE DP, which IS the development platform.
claes

Post by claes »

Yes, the pricing of DP could appropriately be called bizarre. What were they thinking?

As they are to release a version of DP compatible with pulsarII this fall, hopefully the price is compatible with pulsarII-users as well..
PetitDragon

Post by PetitDragon »

Ok, thanks for replies !

But .. in fact, in real life, I'm computer programmer , not musician.
Your module or toolbox are best for musicians who are not familiar for programming, but for me ... too abstract!
I'm very interesting by electronic music production and Luna card seems to be perfect to experiment sounds w/o have to buy real sampler or other costly material :wink:
But other goal of this card is 3 Dsps and I'm looking to program them myself (to explore parallel programming, to use dsp power for complex calculates, ... ) and not only music production !

But ... no doc available for this purpose ;-((.
I've to make some reverse ingeenering to make that ... what lost time !
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

Hi drag
since you are interested in deep programing why don't you try the symboilc's
sound kyma.
I suppose that you are aware of the system ,but if you dont why dont you take a look?I am also puzzled with the extreme pricing of the dp software,especially when you concider that the kyma which has far more sound designing abilities costs less than half of the dp does, and although i haven't used a scope dp i am almost certain that you won't find realtime resynthesis and various others sound methods that the kyma
features.
I really don't understant how cw plans to compete with such products and such prices.
With 8000 dollars you almost get a huge amount of dsp's for the kyma ,including the software.
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

Korg's version of Scope DP for Oasys, Synthkit, is free & yet they have far fewer 3rd party devices than are available for Pulsar. This is because the programming environment is extremely deep & without the extra tools that CW has given DP users that simplify the task, John Bowen wasn't even able to program a single synth without Korg's participation (& he's only released the one Orion for Oasys). My point is that Scope cannot be directly compared to Kyma or Synthkit, CW has gone the extra mile that they have not.

Does this justify the $8000 price tag? Probably not, but I believe that the intention is for DP to be out of reach for most people so as not to over-saturate the market. The ones being protected by the price are indeed current Scope users &, whether you agree with this motivation or not, you cannot deny that the Pulsar community has a much stronger dedication & willingness to give financial support to it's developers than Reaktor, Oasys, & Kyma users.
peripatitis

Post by peripatitis »

I wont disagree with peezahj concerning
creamware's enviroment and perhaps he is right when he is saying that the price tag
of dp is high for not saturating the market.
However this is a competitive world and although pulsar and scope users might be able to appreciate this policy newcomers might be put off.For a future pulsar buyer i dont see the problem ,but if someone wants to go further , lets say a scope system
cw has to understand that they have to give something more than just a pulsar system with more d.s.p.My example about kyma was just to show how a proffesional and trusted company see's it's products.
I mean that symbolic sound could certainly
claim that kyma is a highly profesional product , used by sound designers from all over the world for almost 10 years ,feature s all the latest sound designing methods and as such they could price their products for far more that 3thousand dollars.
On the other hand cw how is new in this market has to compete with all that and instead coming of with a competitive price they go for twice as much.
In the bottom end i feel that what counts is sound and versatility and i feel that kyma
scores way above cw in a more competitive price(i am not talking about reactor or oasis because it seems to me that they are not in the same league with dp or kyma ,and of course my comments dont refer to pulsar which i think plays a different role,at least at this price range)
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

Kyma's a great product & they're a great, great company. They're also a small company, the couple that runs it deal with almost everything themselves & know many of their customers on a first name basis, so they're able to make changes quickly & approach their product on a different advancement level than CW (you won't find Kyma users bitching about trivial things like the Pulsar list because they're all professionals).

I received a Kyma demo at last year's AES show, the reason I don't use it now is because I didn't like the sound (great for strange sounds but not for usable stuff). Same goes for Reaktor. Oasys, OTOH, sounds like God his bad self. :wink: