C.Anderton says current Scope works on Vista 64

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

alfonso

C.Anderton says current Scope works on Vista 64

Post by alfonso »

I didn't ask him how yet, but i was amazed to read this:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... ostcount=2
alfonso

Re: C.Anderton says current Scope works on Vista 64

Post by alfonso »

stardust wrote:May it be that he only talks about a A16 as ADC and not about the PCI card driver ?
That wouldn't justify his amazement at all......he says "my 1998 Creamware interface" so the drivers should be involved....
chriskorff

Post by chriskorff »

Next time I speak to him I'll ask him how he did it, and if there are any limited functionalities.

Will keep you posted!
astroman

Post by astroman »

didn't know that Craig is also a diplomat until I read ...
... Vista is not as bad as people say, and not as good as Microsoft thinks...
cheers, Tom :lol:
garyb

Post by garyb »

could be he's beta testing the new driver? :lol:
Anderton

Post by Anderton »

Hey everybody - PILOT ERROR!! Chris Korff emailed me and wanted to know more about running SCOPE under Vista-64. I have a computer that dual-boots into Vista-64 or regular XP, and went into Vista to check out the details.

Well, the SCOPE program files didn't show up on Drive C. What? Then I realized...when I got my new computer (a PC Audio Labs 8-core Intel), I did a lot of testing with programs, drivers, etc. as there were two separate issues: 1) did they work under Vista, and 2) did they work with 8 cores under Windows XP (with several programs and interfaces, I've had to disable cores in Task Manager to get things to work). The SCOPE card worked fine under 8 cores with Windows XP, and as it has been months since I did all that installation and testing, someone flipped that in my brain as "working under Vista-64." It didn't help that because I had backed up all my SCOPE files on another drive, which DID show up in Vista-64, I thought the Creamware stuff was there.

Wrong.

Anyway, sorry to raise any false hopes among the wide world of SCOPE fans :( For what it's worth, it DOES work under 8 cores really well with XP :)

Now a note about Vista in general: I still use XP for 95% of my music and video work. I do use Vista-64 with Sonar 7, because of course, Sonar 7 works great with Vista because it was designed to, and Cakewalk has a lot of experience with 64-bit systems, having supported x64. When I use Vista, I use either the PreSonus FireBox or E-Mu 1820, both of which have performed very well with Vista. I tried a MOTU Ultralite early on but at the time, it didn't work with systems having more than 2GB of RAM (I believe that bug has since been fixed).

Again, sorry for the confusion. And thank you Chris for asking me to check into this further. I've gone and put a correction in the thread where this originally appeared, and made a mental note not to post in forums on days when I've had less than five hours of sleep...........
alfonso

Post by alfonso »

Anderton wrote:Hey everybody - PILOT ERROR!! Chris Korff emailed me and wanted to know more about running SCOPE under Vista-64. I have a computer that dual-boots into Vista-64 or regular XP, and went into Vista to check out the details.

Well, the SCOPE program files didn't show up on Drive C. What? Then I realized...when I got my new computer (a PC Audio Labs 8-core Intel), I did a lot of testing with programs, drivers, etc. as there were two separate issues: 1) did they work under Vista, and 2) did they work with 8 cores under Windows XP (with several programs and interfaces, I've had to disable cores in Task Manager to get things to work). The SCOPE card worked fine under 8 cores with Windows XP, and as it has been months since I did all that installation and testing, someone flipped that in my brain as "working under Vista-64." It didn't help that because I had backed up all my SCOPE files on another drive, which DID show up in Vista-64, I thought the Creamware stuff was there.

Wrong.

Anyway, sorry to raise any false hopes among the wide world of SCOPE fans :( For what it's worth, it DOES work under 8 cores really well with XP :)

Now a note about Vista in general: I still use XP for 95% of my music and video work. I do use Vista-64 with Sonar 7, because of course, Sonar 7 works great with Vista because it was designed to, and Cakewalk has a lot of experience with 64-bit systems, having supported x64. When I use Vista, I use either the PreSonus FireBox or E-Mu 1820, both of which have performed very well with Vista. I tried a MOTU Ultralite early on but at the time, it didn't work with systems having more than 2GB of RAM (I believe that bug has since been fixed).

Again, sorry for the confusion. And thank you Chris for asking me to check into this further. I've gone and put a correction in the thread where this originally appeared, and made a mental note not to post in forums on days when I've had less than five hours of sleep...........

Craig, thanks for coming here directly :)

Welcome to this forum, as a Scope owner you can feel at home here and I'm sure it would be quite a pleasure for all the community to have you here when you like. This is a nice place, as the community is quite friendly and open...maybe averagely weirder than usual, not immune from some difficult characters,but with a special love for getting and exchanging knowledge and a strong feel of friendship between us.

I think that Scopers don't sleep more than 5 hours very often, so no problem at all, tons of indulgence here

Cheers and thanks again.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

I'd like to second the welcome. Craig, I've learned a lot from you over the years (esp. the earlier EM stuff).

Thank you, and a big Welcome!

-cap
The first action people should take is to remove cash from Banrural, and break the banks of corrupt people. #escandalogt
Anderton

Post by Anderton »

Thanks for the welcome! I've spent a lot of time lurking on this forum in the past, I've always liked the SCOPE concept since I first saw it in at the Creamware headquarters, prior to its actual release. Although it's not as relevant as it once was because of computers getting so much better, it still virtualizes an entire STUDIO better than anything else out there. I hope Sonic Core can keep it alive, and do a much better job of marketing it.
garyb

Post by garyb »

glad to see you here Craig!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Wow........................ C.Anderton..it's a pleasure.

I have always trusted your reviews on gear and software and not once was ever disappointed with any decisions I made.

I first came to respect your reviews after reading the earlier Polyphony magazine way back when, and again when you revised the Oberheim manual. :wink: I used many of your samples on my EPS and Emu's back in the day also. ( Northstar Sounds of Oregon..R.I.P. )

Knowing you still have a Creamware card and use it is most re assuring as Scope has replaced my giant old hardware rig, and I am waiting for delivery of XITE-1.

Having you review the XITE-1 would be a stroke of genius on Soniccore's part. ( fingers crossed ).

BTW, I was always wondering...............did you get to keep everything you review? If so, that's gotta be the best game in town. :wink:
paulrmartin

Post by paulrmartin »

Anderton wrote:Thanks for the welcome! I've spent a lot of time lurking on this forum in the past, I've always liked the SCOPE concept since I first saw it in at the Creamware headquarters, prior to its actual release. Although it's not as relevant as it once was because of computers getting so much better, it still virtualizes an entire STUDIO better than anything else out there. I hope Sonic Core can keep it alive, and do a much better job of marketing it.
Now THAT is what I call an ENDORSEMENT!!!

I need to say that I have been reading Mr. Anderton for years and years and have nothing but the utmost respect.

Thanks for joining us, Craig :)
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

:) :) :)

Honestly, it comes as no surpirse to me that Craig A. would surface here. I'm actually surprised he hasn't been posting here since the beginning. Craig is pretty much what I would say is a typical Scope user - the incessant tickerer. The kind of guy that can't stand to get a piece of gear and not open it up to see what makes it tick. I'll bet he has a soldering iron sitting on his desk somewhere - or at least in the general vicinity. Craig was an inspiration to me personally from the early days of his books on home projects for musicians. He sort of made it OK for us nerds and geeks to come out of the shadows. I don't know how this guy finds time to even think about posting here but I'm glad he does. Cheers and much success to you sir.

In terms of relevence - you'd have to pry Scope from my cold dead hands before I'd give it up. Scope has been the centerpiece (my secret weapon actually) of my studio for the past 8 years.

We need a secret handshake :lol:
le_tigre

Post by le_tigre »

Craig,

Thanks for the clarification. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a pro review of Scope 5 and Xite on HC someday.
Yours,
Niall.