Limiter S

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Limiter S

Post by dawman »

I am experimenting w/ the many tools I have and seem to be learning more everyday.

These devices really do emulate their hardware counterparts will stunning realism.

My trouble is that I am not sure how I would chain certain devices, or the proper order of them in the Master insert slots.

I have discovered that once I get my levels set in the FP106B's channels, that it is quite different from hardware in respect to summing. I seem to clip the mixer's outputs more than I would when using Tape and an Otari. So I added the Limiter S. and it works great. I set the threshold level to -6.0db, and used the make up gain to add 2.0db more for a really round low end sound, and a much better mix.

My question is :

1) Are the Master insert slots designed to operate in parallel, or in a serial fashion. If they are summed at the mixer's outputs, I would love to try a Compressor / Limiter combination device.

Does such a device for Scope?

I would love to see something like a hardware piece similar to the VT-747SP from Avalon.

But if the insert slots are serial in nature, the use of a Limiter in slot #1, followed by a quality Comp plug in slot #2 should be the way to go yes?
zangsta

Re: Limiter S

Post by zangsta »

XITE-1/4LIVE wrote:I

But if the insert slots are serial in nature, the use of a Limiter in slot #1, followed by a quality Comp plug in slot #2 should be the way to go yes?
Seems right, that´s the way I ended up trying out MCCY´s ANTIKbass and VLim..yesterday, and compared them with Vinco
I have worked it out several times before, but forget it anyway.....age...?

It´s easy enough if both have volume out, to turn the volume all of on one and see if the other gets nothing, that´s the first in the chain !
Limiter before AND after may also be something to try out, as some gear easily spikes...and it may affect the total sound in different ways...
sometimes unexpected ways... VLim ahead of ANTIKbass was not good ! :o

J_S
dawman

Post by dawman »

Maybe in analog hardware it is necessary to have everything summed since there is a -6.0db insertion loss.

I will keep trying out new things.
Shayne White

Post by Shayne White »

I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do here, but you mentioned having effects in parallel. The Scope mixer insert slots are serial, yes, but if you want parallel, you can try my Parallel Effects rack I made a few years ago. It'll plug into an insert slot and give you multiple parallel effects slots, with volume, pan, and dry signal.

http://www.shaynesworld.com/scope/Parallel_Effects.zip

Of course, if that's not what you're looking for, then please disregard. :)

Shayne
Melodious Synth Radio
http://www.melodious-synth.com

Melodious synth music by Binary Sea
http://www.binary-sea.com
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, they're serial.
nosyfred

Re:

Post by nosyfred »

Shayne White wrote:I'm not exactly sure what you're trying to do here, but you mentioned having effects in parallel. The Scope mixer insert slots are serial, yes, but if you want parallel, you can try my Parallel Effects rack I made a few years ago. It'll plug into an insert slot and give you multiple parallel effects slots, with volume, pan, and dry signal.

http://www.shaynesworld.com/scope/Parallel_Effects.zip
Hi Shayne,

i am experimenting with parallel processing using this device. Is the insert latency compensated (since some devices had internal latency of few samples)?

Thanx,
Fred
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it's not compensated. neither is real hardware. the latencies can be a problem, but not like on a cpu.
nosyfred

Post by nosyfred »

Important to know. Sometimes I noticed comb filtering after loading parallel compressor, but scope reset would fix this in most cases. (o=

Anyway, delay compensation could be a very usefull feature in "Parallel Effects". Maybe in future? :D
astroman

Post by astroman »

it's overkill and pretty much useless anyway, as there are countless uses in realworld audio that take advantage of the small displacement effect.
And it would contradict experience - as in setting up mics in front of a guitar amp cabinet.
On a perfectly time aligned system you'd have to compensate manually for the compensation... :lol:

cheers, Tom