Brand new, rank newbie here

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

capacitor

Brand new, rank newbie here

Post by capacitor »

All,

First post & first time Scope user. Just installed a Pulsar I last night - I'm blown away by the sonic quality. Only 4 DSPs and the basic devices. Apparently I'll have the urge to add to both sometime soon :)

I'm emulating some real basic analog circuitry, using Modular II & the stereo analog IO.

I was wondering if there's appreciable audio latency in this older card (Gen 1). My project is pretty basic: one mono input, Modular II processing, and then stereo output. No VST devices, ASIO etc - just card in, some basic Modular modules (say, just an inverter) and then back out.

Anyone measured this, say through a Russian Dragon? Even the base latency (i.e. Pulsar input routed to Pulsar output, no mixing or devs) would be awesome.

(BTW this forum looks like a winner! Hats off to everyone involved.)
Last edited by capacitor on Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

Welcome!

if there is no ASIO involved, it is the same as hardware, well it IS hardware. your computer is just a display device.
So latency is the same same as what what a DSP effects unit or synth would have.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Yup & just wondering if anyone's measured actual values.

I'm sure there'll be at least a couple of samples worth of delay, due to the A/D and D/A conversions. Wondering if the card imposes a certain amount of fixed overhead in the latency dept.

-cap
Last edited by capacitor on Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it really depends on the device. there have been some measurements, they're around here somewhere....most devices add a few samples...
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Cool and thanks. I'll be checking over time, and will post the results. First up will be minimal, core latency without any devices (i.e. Pulsar in routed to Pulsar out), then add in the Modular with just input/output modules - you guys get the drift ;)

Latency measuring software, anyone? I can rig up Protools LE to do this, but purpose-built software would rock.

Basically, something that will send a signal, and measure two returns (dry and wet) and show the difference in latency.

Edit: (1ms) http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... asurements
Music Manic

Post by Music Manic »

Yes capacitor audio quality is great.
You've come at exciting times now Sonic Core have taken over.
Neutron

Post by Neutron »

I could measure input to output latency on hardware oscilloscope if you like. might be a while though.

or if you have another soundcard you could just record a stereo signal, one channel going through the pulsar and one not. look at it in sound forge or something to see how much latency there is.
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

welcome onboard capacitor :)
Fede

Post by Fede »

hifiboom wrote:welcome onboard capacitor :)
...are you talking about a PCB? :o

sorry, it's so stupid, but I couldn't resist... :roll:

btw welcome cap! :wink:
Fede
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

:D
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Thanks Neutron but like I mentioned earlier I have a basic ProTools LE setup. I also have a oscope at my disposal but actually recording separate waveforms in the computer is really what I need more.

Anyhow, a bit of an update. No problems whatsoever with Scope or the Pulsar. PT LE - well, that's another story. I won't bore you with the details.

To my ears, latency is minimal overall. I have munged up the basic in-Modular 2-out setup. Spent the weekend going through the stock devices, and learning the ropes. And reading Z threads (lots of great help here).

Thanks for the kind welcome, y'all :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

:)
the19thbear

Post by the19thbear »

make sure to check out the free spring reverb RPSV ( i hink its called that.. its a plate reverb, free as well made by shroomz) and D mute compressor.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Oh man, thanks for that. I was up an extra few hours last pm, listening to both the reverbs... Holy Cow (no insult intended to our Indian friends!). I'll switch to a better meme promptly.

On Planet Z, Dog hunts YOU! (no coffee yet so accept my apologies)

Those revs are great. No time (or proper material) for the compressor just yet, but - wow!

Edit: mad props & links for other newbies, now that coffee is in hand.

D-Mute -> D-Comp: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... ight=dcomp

MCCY -> stereo spring reverb: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... light=rspv

hifiboom (& Shroomz? super mad props anyhow) -> RSPV-01: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... ght=rspv01
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Hi capacitor,

I had no involvement in Hifibooms reverb plugin. the19thbear just made a mistake.

best regards
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

hi capacitor,

you find some other free gimmicks, when you click on my WWW button. :)

I host them all on my website for quick and easy downloading.

just click the device section.
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

Coming up for air...

Thanks to everyone. I am completely blown away by all of this.
Nestor

Post by Nestor »

Don't forget to get the old synths as well, there are many extremely nice sounds there to take with you.

Enjoy the best :)
*MUSIC* The most Powerful Language in the world! *INDEED*
capacitor

Post by capacitor »

10-4. :)

Thanks Neutron/DeFex, MCCY, Shroomz, sharc, hifiboom, Jah Servant, celmo, way too many to list right now. Thanks to all of you. I'm still only on page 5 of the Devices section....

Anyhow, I'll stop boring y'all with my newcomer's enthusiasm. I will say this: The Honeymoon is over - and she's still HOT! I would say even more hot than when married/purchased. A very nice ball and chain.

Thanks again for the welcome. I hope to be able to contribute devs in the future.
eliam

Post by eliam »

hi cap! please don't restrain the enthisiasm bro, we love enthusiasm around here!!! So let it flow, and abundantly!!

It's been 7 years since I got my 1st 3 dsp card and I'm even more in love than the 1st month!! The family has grown, I now have 27 dsps and looking forward the x-ite thing, I'll share some family photos soon!! Actually I'm about to release my brand new album, all mixed in scope (with some native stuff too). I created a lot of textures with flexor and other scope appz... Can't wait to share it with you!

E