power consumption of scope pro and pulsar 2's

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

irrelevance

power consumption of scope pro and pulsar 2's

Post by irrelevance »

Would anybody know the power consumption in Watts for a single scope Pro and a Pulsar2 board?
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

15W / 12W according to the manual.

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
irrelevance

Post by irrelevance »

Hey thanks Kylie. I've just moved house and haven't got a clue where my scope manuals are :lol: I'm specing a new psu and was thinking of going for a fanless. Can't find anything over 400W though.
garyb

Post by garyb »

400w is plenty if it's a true 400w(a very high quality power supply). poor quality poower supplies of 400w will be insufficient or burn up.
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

irrelevance wrote:Hey thanks Kylie. I've just moved house and haven't got a clue where my scope manuals are :lol:
whereever you moved to... the manuals are (still) at
ftp.creamware.de :)
ah well, the appendix where this information was taken from is not available in english. so you gotta guess a bit if you're not german... :)

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.
readymedia

Re: power consumption of scope pro and pulsar 2's

Post by readymedia »

Hey, there! (wow 10 years later... ;)

I just want to try this type of PCI expansion boxes ExSYS 1015 (http://www.exsys.de/index.php?page=product&info=6 for a kind of mobile solution, I know Magma is better :) and some here had bad experiences with even larger boxes. They from exsys.de say "Attention!! The maximum power consumption per PCI slot is limited to 200mA." So if may say Scope needs 15W and if we take 5 Volt for U (PCI standard) and 0,2 A (200mA) for I , then this ExSYS Box provide only 1 Watt per PCI Slot?..

P = U · I.
1 Watt = 5Volt * 0,2 Ampere

So we need for example for Scope 15 Watt / 5 Volt = 3 Ampere (3000mA) for each PCi Slot. Quite a lot / didn't now that the mainboards provide such power on Standard PCi Slots... Or I calculated it wrong?..

But may the boxes just underrated because of a small power supply? If I exchange the power supply with one with ~100 Watt the power should be enough?.. How power consumption per PCI slot can be limited on the board?

Cheers, Andreas
me, M6700/i7quad/Win7: PT11/Ableton/Komplete
WinXP/Luna2/Modular2 @Dell630 Dock
petal

Post by petal »

Those boxes have been considered before and are not recommended for our Scope cards.

You should have a read in this thread:

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... YS#p328606
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the power supplies of those external boxes are not sufficient, but the boxes also mean significantly less PCI bandwidth. it's SO easy to just put them into a machine with proper slots. why waste time and energy for a secondary solution?
Marco

Post by Marco »

Don't waste your life time, buy a good Mainboard and save your money nerves etc.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
readymedia

Post by readymedia »

I read about all the difficulties from anabella and other users here. I just try to get smoother workflow with the external SFP machines. I have already two of them with 5 cards in proper Gigabyte mainboards. But my main computer is a laptop (which I have to move regularly) with PT11 & Premiere CC. It would be so nice to just have the card somehow integrated in my PT11 internal way. Not this external MIDI/lightpipe connections... May it is possible somehow via VSL Vienna Ensemble Pro?.. I'm not familiar with this VSL concept. So it would be nice to find the way it looks like the cards are in my laptop and external towers... well just running...
Marco

Post by Marco »

Just do it and make your experiences. If you had a xite, that would be great. But who has?
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
readymedia

Post by readymedia »

May anyone knows if Creamware PCI cards would work in PCI-x 64 Bit 5V Magma expansions? As I know PCI-X 64bit 5Volt Slots loads also 32bit 5Volt PCI Cards... Creamware Cards are 5V 32Bit PCI... Not sure if I put a Creamware card in an 64bit 5V PCI-X slot my card is running at right 33MHz ... Any Ideas?

EDIT: Theoretically according to PCI standard the slowest card set the bus speed. Also 33Mhz card take over 66Mhz bus. Additionally "64bit 5V" Slots seem to be 33 MHz only! It may work. I'll report it.

(how to make this picture a bit smaller?.. :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

no. it won't work.

use the 32bit expansion.

actually, why?
an HP xw4400 is less than $100 including shipping on ebay. that and a RME ADAT card are WAAAAYYY cheaper and easier...the XW4400 will handle three cards with no problem and then you have a very nice mixing/fx/synth machine to add to your system. the easiest thing is to just build a computer with PCI slots.
ronnie

Post by ronnie »

My Scope system is an HP XW4600 Quad-Core @ 2.8Ghz. Luna, Pulsar and Pro. Runs Sonar Platinum if I want with some VSTs. No problems. No worries. Built like a tank. Less than $200 with Win 7 Pro 64, 500GB 7200 rpm and 8GB with 6 month warranty on Ebay.
I run ADAT and MIDI to and from my i7 3.5 GHz Win 8.1 64 Pro 32 GB dual 500 GB SSD for CPU hungry Native VST machine with Platinum. Perfect combo. IMHO
"I’ve come to the conclusion that synths are like potatoes, they’re no good raw—you’ve got to cook ‘em, and I cooked these sounds for months before I got them to the point where they sounded musical to me." Lyle Mays
readymedia

Post by readymedia »

Hi, there!

So my adventure with the Magma PCI Extpansions didn't work out. Well old hardware, but to many versions/variations of those expansions... I was never sure is the box, cable, interface and so on working or not... Then the adaption to my expresscard-interface of my laptop... ;/

I also tested a Dell D620 Laptop with a docking station. The docking station has to be modified mechanically. The thing is, that this combination have a very low PCI performance, So I got PCI-Overloads very quick.

Also back on my huge NZXT-Tower with good old Gigabyte-Mobo... ;)

Cheers, Andreas
panaman

Post by panaman »

this attitude of "get an older board and youre good" sadly reminds me of the last days of the atari community, late 80s, when the pc had not evolved beyond a typewriter. everybody agreed we dont need faster machines, 16 mhz is plenty enough, i can do anything i want or need with my atari. seems i was the only one constantly buying every new model, every addon, at ridiculous prices. and the afterburner never really worked with cubase, 1500 deutschmarks wasted which was a small fortune, for me anyways. i even considered buying into their stock, but before i could it went up and up and then they went bankrupt. sure the machines were kept alive for a few years, they were at least as stable as the creamware scope cards.

now there is obviously some demand for using the pci cards with newer boards w/o pci slots, with pcie riser adapters.
my superficial knowledge suggests its a driver issue. it wouldnt have to work with every last one of these adapters, just a few.
i`m sure such a driver could be offered at a reasonable price. the current driver must have been updated for v7 anyway, why not take that next step. its not going to take away from xcite sales, differen price range alltogether.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the PCI cards are no longer made or sold.
the XITE-1 is PCIe.

this is not a matter of worrying about losing XITE sales. if that was the reason that your driver does not exist, then there wouldn't be any Scope 5 or 7 for PCI cards.

it's not a driver issue. the issue is that the cards are realtime processors and the computer is not. then you add another layer for the adapter and there are timing issues that lower the overall "PCI" performance(the inability to get all the data transferred in a timely manner). it's not that adapters don't work, it's that they do not, and can never, work as well as a "native" slot. if all you want from the card is i/o, then an adapter will work great. drivers don't work the way you would like, so this solution you suggest will not work.

don't put obsolete tech into the latest computers unless those computers have the needed resources for that tech. there are still plenty of CURRENT model motherboards with 2 PCI slots, but not many with 3. since the PCI standard is officially over and done, don't expect this situation to improve.

also, i hear this a lot, that the XITE is in a different price range, but this just isn't true. a 15dsp card, when new, cost almost the same as an XITE-1D. the XITE-1 is less expensive than 3 15dsp cards, when those were new, but it's 2 times the power(at least) as those 15dsp cards. i have 2 15dsp cards and a 6 dsp card, bought new, so...it is patently unfair to compare the cost of 10-18 year old product to the cost of new...
panaman

Post by panaman »

thanks for the clarification. could you elaborate on the
>>"if all you want from the card is i/o, then an adapter will work great" <<
please? can i shift the i/o load to a specific external card while processing the rest internally, i would have to tap into the i/o at some point though?
my typical usage scenario is wave (winamp/vlc) to mixer, guitar/pod hd to mixer (live low latency monitoring with a few eqs and compressors), 1 or 2 asio to and from daw (recording and occasionally some vst effects), then everything out to home stereo. probably not very demanding compared to your regular power user?
thank you.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, it doesn't work that way. you will have reduced PCI performance in any case. whether or not that makes a problem for you depends on a lot of things including the adapter. you'd just need to try it or put together a computer that the card is certain to be happy in.

i would think that you would be ok, in general, though. you aren't making many connections between card and computer, so i would expect it to work.
panaman

Post by panaman »

thats great news and about the most positive i`ve heard, usually its just "it doesnt work". thank you for explaining, really.
maybe there is a new approach for a driver: allow to distribute the pci load from one slot to another, e.g. with a slider in the properties gui or in the sfp itself.
for all i know the pci on a riser card could be better suited to handle the scope cards than my onboard one, since my questions about amd am+ chipsets have been igored on this forum and asus doesnt wanna say whether their pcis are native either, but at least i now understand better why things havent been as smooth as i wish they were.