Volksampler or Halion?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

fra77x

Post by fra77x »

Any opinions...
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

I haven't used HALion myself (still in backorder), but I've seen it in action at the VST tour. Very impressive! Comparing VZ to HALion is like comparing an Akai S2000 to an S5000/6000. Even though I have the STS-4000, I'll probably end up using HALion as my main sampler.
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

what are the main advantages?
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

Some advantages I can think of right now:

- Direct-from-disk streaming
- Easy to use interface*
- Adjustable CPU usage

* For example creating keygroups and velocity layers by moving the edges with your mouse: http://namm.harmony-central.com/WNAMM01 ... -large.jpg
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Zer,

Re: STS4000
Did you know you can "play the range" for a keygroup with your MIDI keyboard? Then, you just press the low key, then the high key. You can also drag a .WAV file directly onto the keygroup, and a keygroup is automatically created -- then simply touch "low C" on your keyboard then "high C" and you've mapped it...
fra77x

Post by fra77x »

i 'm currently use Volksampler and i am satisfied... Why knoone uses this thing...
Lotuz

Post by Lotuz »

The VZ/STS isn't a bad sampler at all. I used to work with an Akai S2000 (still do when recording old songs) and the VZ/STS is very similar to it.
Matt

Post by Matt »

I would agree, apart from my S2000 doesn't pop up a 'Please buy me' message every time I boot it up, as the (admittedly 'promotional') Volkszampler has started doing.

Bah Humbug!
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

I thought Volkzsampler was supposed to be FREE? :roll:

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-07-03 10:25 ]</font>
Michaelj

Post by Michaelj »

Halion is sure a great sampler,
I have tried it.
but but.....!!
it runs native, and i have the STS 3000
on a Pulsar II on my Mac.
and I can pump up A LOT A LOT of samples and play chords and not being worried about cpu.
So the sps that runs with dsp,
is the only thing that rocks.
But if U gonna use a drumloop, or rex files and some cool vocal samples.
I sure Halion vill do the job in a easy way.
but u will SURE run out of cpu if you wanna, play piano-strings-drums-loops-
.... :smile:
nuence

Post by nuence »

Out of all these samplers aswell as gigastudio I would like ppl's opinions on which has the best filters, and modulation such as LFO's, FM.... And how they compare to a hardware samplers filters. Thanks for the input.

nuence
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

Of all the softsamplers I've used, the STS rates right up there, of course for me the best part is the Zero-Latency so I can actually use it to play in my drum parts. Even with 7ms latency sometimes you can "feel" this.

The filters in the STS are very basic and don't have a particularly "outgoing" character -- they just do what they are supposed to. Modulation routings are semi-fixed, but just complete enough to do most basic tasks. My main gripe with the STS3000 and STS4000 is the LIMITED NUMBER of EXTERNAL assignable controllers. You only get ONE on the STS4000. I think for a professional sampler that can be very limiting. The STS5000, available only inside the SCOPE/SP software(edit: not anymore! see: <a href=http://planetz.ghostwheel.com/phpBB/vie ... 14>here</a>), supposively has a lot more AND it comes with that timestretching thing which makes it rather attractive...

The advantage of course of the STS vs. say, a Kurzweil, is that it uses your computer's RAM and you can have 512megs pretty easily in your system, so you can load much larger banks of samples. Also, the you can use your computer's CDROM, so loading an AKAI sample CD is very convenient, and I think this is where the STS series really shines, AKAI CDs, and loading LOTS of them.

For the more twisted and mangled stuff, you still might want hardware, there isn't really too much software that does this and SOUNDS GOOD. Giga filters are even more character-less, the advantage there of course is that you don't even need RAM to hold all your samples you can stream HUGE ones off your hard disk directly. The disadvantage of course is the latency and the lack of decent modulations/filters...

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: subhuman on 2001-07-21 16:45 ]</font>
Peezahj

Post by Peezahj »

The ram's a pretty big issue, it costs nearly as much to add 16mb to my beloved k2500 as it does to add 256mb to a PC. :-/
For the more twisted and mangled stuff, you still might want hardware, there isn't really too much software that does this and SOUNDS GOOD.
For sample mangling, use the modular synth to do anything an e-mu, yamaha, or akai can but with a superior interface. Subhuman just thinks he's cool cuz he has a Kurzweil. :wink:
algorhythm

Post by algorhythm »

haha LOL :grin:
subhuman

Post by subhuman »

If only being cool were that easy I'd surely be there by now :wink: But instead I'm just a totally obsessed geek.

Really the kurzweil's filters have a different sound that I prefer over the more surgical STS filters, especially with a little resonance. Also, you get 88 keys and 8 sliders and a ribbon along with the sampler, and having a filter and modulation path PER VOICE is rather different than strapping a Mod2 patch on the back of the STS, not only more convenient, but more external modulations (have you ever even tried this on your STS?) and quicker once you know what to press.

I really don't have money to burn here my setup is minimal, but I bought the Kurzweil after using the STS for about a year and coming to limitations with it, trust me I would rather have all my sampling taken care of inside the computer! But I also want to get down to making music...
Zer

Post by Zer »

Do you really all fancy for handling mini displays and useless surfaces? Oh, no god have mercy... I know why I use the exs24 or the vsampler...there are really good ones out without those retro limitations...
Michaelj

Post by Michaelj »