Ebay Scammers

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Tony B

Ebay Scammers

Post by Tony B »

There are folks on certain forums (this one included) whose intentions are to lurk and scam innocent people on ebay. I nearly fell to such a scam so I am warning people who are unaware to be on the lookout for them. They would usually cause all kinds of delaying tactics and dealing in fraudulent documents. I have a document to post on this forum as an example.
kybernaut_01

Post by kybernaut_01 »

What did you buy? Music gear?
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

I did not buy. I placed an item for sale on ebay. The guy placed a winning bid then made his payment by means of a bogus document. I took it to my banker before shipping the items. They then pointed out a number of irregularities on the document which rendered it worthless.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have never had problems with gear on eBay yet. But I always make sure that the seller has a record. Usually bad feedback is harmful for sellers, and if they are making money, they are usually in good standing.

I am always Leary of new sellers, especially guys unloading gear only. I have great luck w/ sellers who don't know what they are selling.

I found an A16 for 300 USD last year, as the seller had it listed under gun scopes category, hiding other than me. He must of stole it from a broke musician somewhere.
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

You guys seems to know a lot. Maybe I should have stayed around here some more and learn a few things from you all. I know a tampered document for fraudulent purposes when I see one. I have not been in a police service investigating fraud for nothing. Stardust you are unaware of what Scope4live is quoting and his reason for saying so. It is something between him and me :evil:
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

yes.

I had a very bad experience 3 years ago with a scope pro at 700€ (that was a very good price !). I paid through western Union and i never received it !!! why ?

Because someone sent me a message (he was supposed to be the seller !)to my personal email and told me he was the seller of the scope but the best bidder did not pay (what ebay calls a "second chance"). This message seemed official (ebay logo and so forth...). I was wrong...

In fact, the real seller had sold and sent the scope Pro at 710e to the right bidder. As for the man who asked me to make a western Union transfer... he fooled me ! The price was attractive and i was (then :-? ) a bit innocent about those risks. My lesson : never use your personal emails and chose only good and reliable sellers ...

Hope it helps !
(i have a scope pro now ! :P )

jo
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, I've made some pretty good deals on eBay - and I've lost some money there. Probably my balance is even.
Beware of items that are offered at a very attractive 'immediate sale' price in particular if it doesn't exceed a value to justify the costs for legal actions.
And as Jonathan's example shows, avoid ANYTHING related to Western Union.

cheers, Tom
Tony B

Post by Tony B »

How would you know who is reliable or not? All the time you are dealing with people you never see or know. Those people are living by their dishonest means preying of innocent people. It also seems as though some of them has shares or a direct link to ebay. You send a mail to ebay and they would reply to you instead. I once was in the process of doing a transaction with a guy who said he was from Indonesia. He somehow managed to get my mastercard info and used it in a fraudulent deal. Ebay did not have a clue. At least so they said. I kept receiving mails claiming to be from ebay to upgrade my account information. I have had two bad experiences their and that is enough. :x
astroman

Post by astroman »

exactly Stardust, that's how I'll be handling my future deals on eBay, too :D

...I kept receiving mails claiming to be from ebay to upgrade my account information...
that is a well know spam method and applies to any popular internet platform.

regarding this particular board it happens that people refer to their eBay accounts, thus revealing quite some details which might be abused in fraudulent attempts...
it's a natural matter of fact that you cannot be safe in this type of business

but then... why do people deal on eBay ?
most want a personal advantage, but don't accept the risk... (?) lame :D

cheers, Tom
hubird

Post by hubird »

I always request payment by direct banking transfer, which is even free for private persons inside Europe.
it makes them tracable, those with bad intentions don't like that and will cancel the deal before it gets seriously.