Timeworks verb

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

bigdealz

Timeworks verb

Post by bigdealz »

First post here, even though I have been using Scope for a year or 2.

I have just downloaded the demo for Timeworks P 100 reverb. It sounds pretty impressive but not sure if my one Power Pulsar board can handle it. I normally have 3 Master verbs running but running just one of these Timeworks demos seems to be a stretch for my system. I end up with an error message.. "dsp overload" or "too much pci activity".

Does anyone have any info on whether or not this plugin needs more power to run OK? .. thanks
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

your power pulsar should normally be able to handle it.
I could even load it on my 6DSP card.
now i have a 14 dsp card and no problems so far.

if you get errors its more likely you board that has problems with pci overflows.
so maybe check another slot. or another board?
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

Bigdealz, if your setup works well usually without the P100, don't mess it just for this verb. Although I have it and use it pretty often, the PCI load, the compatibility problems it can gives you is not worth the trouble changing board at all.

The author is a talented but paranoid bloke who never finished (hall algo..) what he started for the platform. The final work went to IK-Multimedia and is now hacked and freely downloadable on P2P. What a waist !
astroman

Post by astroman »

well, I never had problems with any of the 100 series devices, but if 3 Masterverbs are maxing out his PCI bus then he can only win changing it... (though I'd rather consider the '3' as what's typically used).

but you're very wrong regarding Warp's paranoia - he's absolutely reasonable.
think about what you are doing when coming back from work, or a party or whatever... ;)

cheers, Tom
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

astroman wrote:
think about what you are doing when coming back from work, or a party or whatever... ;)

cheers, Tom
What having a join has to do with this paranoïa ? :lol:
astroman

Post by astroman »

interesting... that you smoke it in the street... :D
if you think twice you'll understand why he's not paranoid - it's just plain logic

cheeers, Tom
bill3107

Post by bill3107 »

Martin is a cool guy who has made incredible reverbs ... what a sound ! It is true that these plugins (P100 and A100) means a huge pci flow demand which may lead to some "pci overload" on some computers... You must consider that these plugins are great and were cheap considering the then soniccore prices (eg : matsreverb pro was twice the price if you purchased it alone.. but it is now included as soon as you buy a new board or thanbks to packages)...

Changing your mobo can be worth it IMHO as a brand new intel board (DP965LT) is only 100€ ... And i think an old cpu (Pentium 4) can be used with it... If it is the price to pay, i would pay for it ! You won't regret it ! I know the Masterverb Pro, DAS reverb and the STW P100 and A100 and i would say one thing : just try the demos and chose the one you need... Reverbs within Scope (including 3rd party) have always been great to me... Just a matter of taste...and DSP available :D ...
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, the problem is in your setup or your motherboard itself.

what motherboard are you using? which irqs, if any, are shared with the scope cards and something else?
Bifop

Post by Bifop »

to make things straight : I love these reverbs !! The P100 is a goto plate verb.
But they are very ressource demanding...

...and I'm sort of having a go at the author because he never released the Hall algo.. :evil:
@ Astroman : I can't get the reasons for the paranoïa (sorry man, but I still didn't catched what the analogy means...)
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

he once said, he is afraid that someone could resample its algo step by step.
astroman

Post by astroman »

Bifop wrote:@ Astroman : I can't get the reasons for the paranoïa (sorry man, but I still didn't catched what the analogy means...)
paranoia is about something imaginary - Martin is just reasonable (he's not the only one btw)
follow Dr. Lector (The Silence of the Lambs) ... you already got all the information here in your file - what does everything mean in it's very essence ?
the answer is so simple, that it's generally overlooked - I'm no exception to this, but I've had the advantage to hear it through the grapevine ;)

cheers, Tom
(hifiboom is wrong btw)
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

what do you mean, astro?

The only point I can see is that every of the creamware system platform coders could reopen the protected device, because they have coded the protection and the rest of the stuff.

And someone like warp could be afraid that these can copy his basic structure and make their own device.
astroman

Post by astroman »

reads kind of reasonable, doesn't it ? ;)
it's not just copying a program, but also to take the experience someone put into analyzing and modelling that stuff.
but eventually it's just a rumour - I lack any reliable sources and have never seen it myself.

cheers, Tom
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

sure thats true, maybe the protection on the device is just a bit set to 0 or 1 :lol:

But on the other hand a plaform like this makes it much more easy to develop stuff, than doing it from scratch.

I`m sure if Anti is doing all the coding for John Bowens synth he will surely have the knowledge to build a similar synth on his own.

Or any Lexicon engineer that has access to the algorithm could leave the company and build its own unit. The new Bricasti reverb unit is said to be developed by ex-lexicon engineers.
At the end its Griesinger that is the brainhead behind all those algos.

But thats how it is.

So a solution would be if the devices would get translated/replaced by DSP machine code, which is really hard to read.
Warp69

Post by Warp69 »

Well - Im trying to get an agreement with SonicCore for new products, but its still work in progress.

But one thing is sure - since I wont compromise quality, I will allways be limited by PCI-overflow. Future products might even need more bandwidth compared to X100 series.

Cheers
Martin
hifiboom

Post by hifiboom »

thanks for informing us.
sounds promising. :D
its good that you are still around here like a ghost. :lol:
astroman

Post by astroman »

Warp69 wrote:Well - Im trying to get an agreement with SonicCore for new products, but its still work in progress. ...
pleased to read you...
I am absolutely convinced that you can work out an arrangement with them.
This is a new company (though experienced in this domain, probably more than anyone else) and according to their presentation at Frankfurt Messe there is not the slightest hint to question their integrity.
As an example: they even showed the new Solaris mobo in public, discussing freely about certain items. 'Strange' fellows just don't act this way... ;)

cheers, Tom
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

I agree with Astro & regarding an arrangment with the new company, I hope it works out for you Warp.

regards,
Shroomz
astroman

Post by astroman »

stardust wrote:...But I wont conclude that from things you see on a trade fair....
I'm not naive, Stardust - it just added to the picture... ;)
bigdealz

Post by bigdealz »

garyb wrote:yes, the problem is in your setup or your motherboard itself.

what motherboard are you using? which irqs, if any, are shared with the scope cards and something else?
Thanks for the response all.

The motherboard is an Asus M2V. Yes, the Scope card IRQs are shared.
PCI (10) is shared with
- Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller &
- VIA Rev 5 or later USB