another control surface - for Klangbox too

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

astroman

another control surface - for Klangbox too

Post by astroman »

well, I'm kind of contradictory to my own attitude by publishing something that looks like an extreme sellout price - it might as well be that the manufacturer will release a follow-up or replacement, dunno...

Nevertheless 20 Euro for a MIR Control at Thomann is a striking argument, as long as supplies last (I just ordered 4 of them), oops.
Detail at the manufacturer's website

I find their terminology a bit strange, but it can be programmed to a very detailed level, even sysex, value ranges, dynamic response how fast you dial etc.
It has a 2 lines by 16 characters LCD display and could show up to 32 values on a single 'page', but usually one would prefer the (more convenient) 16-values bar chart - parameter label - value display.

There's an editor and even an 'emulator' software to help programming, it should be fairly easy once you get the idea what they mean, but you will have to invest some effort into 'thinking' about your setup.

On the other hand there's clearly the potential to control a Scope project without a computer screen

cheers, Tom
sonolive

Post by sonolive »

On the other hand there's clearly the potential to control a Scope project without a computer screen
hi astro,

and what about something like this ... Touch screen for Creamware on a 8 or 10 " screen
Attachments
joy sticks in situ
joy sticks in situ
JOYSTICK-X2-PIC.jpg (40.13 KiB) Viewed 3865 times
the same in situ
the same in situ
8FADERS-PIC.jpg (35.21 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
screen shot of 8 faders
screen shot of 8 faders
8FADERS.jpg (32.91 KiB) Viewed 3867 times
astroman

Post by astroman »

sold - if you can provide it for 20 Euro... :D

actually I have a touchscreen surface (in an old Sony 13") and I even used it with a pre 3.x Scope version - in those days the 'sensitive' area around the faders was so tiny that you always moved the device items around, it drove me nuts and could built up a stunning amount of anger... so I gave up the idea.

I guess for that reason you provided large target areas - it's one of those car navigation thingies, isnt it ?. I like the layout and design, btw.

I also guess there's a way to 'step through' the surfaces of those items in the project that need interactive control. You probably wouldn't want to deal with the 'classical' routing window on a 10" screen ;)

but the 'dial-in-display' approach can be much more efficient in many cases, that's why I got 4 of those controllers, as you can deal with several parameters in different(!) devices simultaneously. That way I could deal with oscillator, filter, envelope and fx section simulataneously (as an example)

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Astro,
I believe you to be capable enough to make a toaster work in Scope.
Olive make it happen. I would love to use my Cubase 4 DAW 4 the LCD, and Scope only needs to show faders 4 the mixers, which would double as AUX's on another page.
I will have our DAS MM layout by tomorrow. Please tell me more.

JV
astroman

Post by astroman »

yes, a closer look reveals that it's actually a single device switching it's surface in the top row - well designed and of course capable of much more detailed 'controller values' than just pure 'standard midi'.

but even 'gps navigator screens' aren't exactly cheapo (not even on ebay), and only usable with customized surfaces.
Anything ergonomic from 15" to 19" in industrial quality (and shape) starts at 1k Euro (as far as I remember), multi-touch capable gear could be twice as expensive(?)

but my (years old) original complaint about the disability to lock a Scope device to a defined screen position seems still valid (afaik)
It's a serious flaw and the only thing that makes it 'not too relevant...' is the enormous price tag of such hardware ;)

it may be useful for developers to consider proper 'paging' in advance, so their devices are prepared for future controller hardware. The navigator thingies certainly getting cheaper with increased use (items sold)

cheers, Tom
Last edited by astroman on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

does it only have the old style midi connector for pcs and not the regular midijack?
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
astroman

Post by astroman »

I also misunderstood this part of the device - one end is the DB15 connector (at the MIR), the other end is 2 standard midi connectors (in and out) and a plug for the powersupply

cheers, tom
moxi

Post by moxi »

the Lemur controller (the one with touch screen) is about 2k Euros, but it's more than a simpler controler, it can deal with automated algorythm and work with OSC protocol, this protocol is far away more performant than our old MIDI...you can define your own interface on the screen and much more..

http://www.jazzmutant.com/lemur_overview.php

and as DAS plugg, it have been done by some french dev....how awesome is France ;-) !

As I remember, the manufacturer of the NEKO synth sell a touch screen controller too, a bit cheaper , but I'm not sure it's a multitouch one..
moxi

Post by moxi »

and for the MIR controler, it have been done by the same dev of the MIDIbox project, it's based on rather the same hardware (PIC microcontroler)...

this world is too little !
dawman

Post by dawman »

Also,
The MIR I believe comes w/ RT Player, which is a great little VST host which even allows several audio / Vocal tracks to be stored through it's interface 4 later recall.

I was going to buy one these 2 years ago, but didn't like the little LCD's. They reminded me of my archaic hardware sequncers which are a constant source of irratation, and cash.

JV
faxinadu

Post by faxinadu »

thier site is a bit vague, and google doesnt really bring up places where i can buy it... so, anyone know any other outlets besides that uk online shop?
Scope, Android, Web, PC Plugins and Sounds:
http://www.oceanswift.net
Music
https://faxinadu.bandcamp.com/
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

Thanks for the link astroman, although I've got to find something else to buy as the MIDI controller is less than the $25 minimum order value :)
moxi

Post by moxi »

thier site is a bit vague, and google doesnt really bring up places where i can buy it... so, anyone know any other outlets besides that uk online shop?
I think MIR is discontinued, but you will find on Ebay brand new cheaper than original price cause they want to stock out...
reflex

Re: another control surface - for Klangbox too

Post by reflex »

astroman wrote:20 Euro for a MIR Control at Thomann[/url] is a striking argument, as long as supplies last (I just ordered 4 of them), oops.
Thanks, astroman!

I just ordered some - They will come in handy for live performance and I can always use another MIDI controller or two around here.
astroman

Post by astroman »

you're welcome :)

but I admit (after checking one and ordering 3 more) there are mixed emotions...
it really is a fairly sophisticated product that deserves something better than to be discontinued - reads strangely familiar ;)

on the other hand there's the price tag - for the same amount (considering 120 Euro street price) you'd get 16 times the number of dials from Behringer
and marketing couldn't (?) communicate the specific strengths of the unit - at least it turned out to be quite different from what I had expected.
to be honest, this is built pretty solid and the sellout price is ridiculuous (I could as well buy another 4...)

it would be a great building block for a custom controller box, if it's modules were sold in 'raw' form
I will dissect mine and probably mount them similiar to the surface of the Nord Modular - one for each oscillator, filter, envelope, mix/fx (for example)

imho the (advertized) use to dial in a page, select the controller, dial a value may be straight forward, but is no pleasure - tweaking a synth usually means to adjust different sections simultaneously, say the filter and the envelope.
That's why I wanted several, but at a list price of (say) 150 Euro per item that's a no go...

anyway, my 'preferred' mode is a display with 16 bargraphs representing the controllers in the top row, the name and value of the active one in the line below. The values can be scaled, transformed and are remembered with the preset automatically. It can also do sysex and nrpn stuff fairly easy (once you get along with their terminolgy) and don't forget to choose 'send immediately' as an option - otherwise you'll wait endlessly... :oops:

it still takes it's time to teach a Scope synth with almost 100 dials it's tricks, but when one unit is programmed, the result can be saved to the other ones - which means that I could pick either 4 different pages or 4 items of 1page or any mixture... rather flexible...

cheers, Tom
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha' Man Anna Luse,
That was a perfect link for me. I checked out the measurements, it will fit nicely w/ the KS 88's.

Danke schon.

PS, how do I get those 2 little dots over the " o " ?
Anna Lüse

Post by Anna Lüse »

ö
dawman

Post by dawman »

Just bought it @ Sweetwater USA. Thanks again, this is exactly what I've been using the KS88 for, but it's difficult to see. This is an awesome controller for SFP, but I will use it on ProWave and Solaris. I really only need a few presets, as the envelopes and filters really make my sounds.

Now the KS88 will dedicate it's knobs for THE FAT BASTARD Mixer, and it's faders for the B2003. Kurzweil Expressionmate will also join in the fun, and the synths now glow in the dark !!

Strength Through Superoir DSP's,
kylie
Rank-o-phile

Post by kylie »

scope4live wrote:Brotha' Man Anna Luse,
That was a perfect link for me.
well, it's got a much much heavier price tag... :)
(but looks damn nice)

-greetings, markus-
--
I'm sorry, but my karma just ran over your dogma.