Can I Record Into VDAT To Send My Music To The Z?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Post by dawman »

I am expanding out into the uncharted territories of SFP. But I feel that after one year of being a member here I should share some of my compositions with my fellow pulsarians. It seems as SFP can do it all, and I have no need to quantise my performances, can I just record into VDAT, and send this to the Z music thread? I have heard Experience Of Space, and other fine works which were mastered and done in SFP, and this is what I wish to do. Simply play one track at a time with Giga drums and SFP synths. The style of Jazz/Fusion I love to play seems to have little or no representation here, and I wish to record it with synths instead of the standard Upright bass,Drums,Rhodes,Sax and Tumpet.
I always do the drums first in a hardware sequencer, then add the bass and so on. VDAT would be the master in this scenario right?
There are always meter changes in my tunes like 10/8 with 12/8 turn arounds and such, but the groove then becomes a poly-ryhthm which is a simple musical illusion in timing, so I am anxious to share my addictions, and accept all criticisms. I'm sure there will be many as this is not the normal style with all you young bloods here. But maybe my meter changes could be useful as they always seem to maintain the groove. A few small suggestions will be all it takes.
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

Keep it coming jimmy.
Sure you can record with VDAT.
I haven´t got VDAT though, so it´s better I´ll let some other speak with you on that.
Anyway, you have to convert your recordings to a mp3 file before you can upload it here.

Have to paint a building today, a lost day for me but another lucky owner.
Good luck, I am curious.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: ChrisWerner on 2006-07-03 21:46 ]</font>
dawman

Post by dawman »

BTW,
I heard your stuff on the thread, outstanding, especially the Berlin School of Thought. Did Harold Faltemeyer study there? ( Beverly Hills Cop Theme Song )
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

hope i translate correct maybe this helps:
with vdat you record like in the good old analog days (tascam, revox,studer . . ) 8,16,24 . . . monotracks no possibility to merge to a stereowav or mp3; its alesis adat without tapetransporttroubles they have; These monowaves had to be mixed and recorded to a sterowav in a audiosequencer (when already running) if not i so prefer external DAT;
search for vdat bugs (maybe only strange handling behaviour) to see if you can live with it;
the faster harddisc the more tracks you record; also ram seems to be a few involved;
if only stereo recorded vdat is to much;
if ending in a mp3 to upload no need for SFP or DAT at all; even my mobilphone manger does this job excelent;
good vibes from vienna
jabney

Post by jabney »

Yes you may indeed record into VDAT and get a stereo file.

First, record onto any two VDAT tracks. Then click the yellow stop button twice and you should now see it blinking on and off. Click the 'Edit' button (in the 'Settings' dialogue) next to the first of the two tracks you are using for L & R. This will bring up an instance of whatever editor you have chosen to work with VDAT ('Settings' also lets you choose your editor) and puts that first chosen track in it. Then click the 'Edit' button next to the other track. Both mono tracks should now be in your editor.

In Sound Forge 6, I first select all of the file that will ultimately be my Left channel, and 'Copy' it. Then I create a new stereo file of the same type (i.e. sample rate, etc) as the mono file. Then I paste that mono file into the new stereo file. Then, I select all of the other mono track, Copy it, and then I select only the lower (Right channel) half of the stereo file, and I 'Overwrite' that selection. That gives me a two-channel stereo file.

I then do any needed re-sampling and bit-depth reductions to get the file down to a 44k1 16bit file, and then I save the new file. All editing is done on the stereo file only, because that keeps things simple.

best,

john
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks Gents,
I wish to record out of STM2448 into VDAT, then send files to the "Z". Most people think I'm crazy, and their right. But I spend most of my time performing, and very little time recording. I did spend alot of time learning SFP, thanks to guys here it wasn't as painful as I had heard. At any rate I am only playing in pre-production right now, instead of doing two live gigs, so I will find some time to let people here bathe in the sound of FAT BASTARDS, and transfer the WAV files to the music section thread. These tracks will not be quantized as I feel that those kind of tracks take the live feel away, so one track at a time is my way. Besides I got burnt out sequencing on hardware sequencers back in the '80's. I have quite an extensive library of classical,jazz,funk,rock,and fusion that I have not had time to convert from my ancient 5 1/4" diskettes, just another chore I will have to find time to do. My ancient MC-500MkII has new software which converts them to SMF's. But I want to start fresh w/ VDAT and SFP synths with Gigastudio drums and percussion. So VDAT will be the tool 4 me.

To Us, And Those Like Us,
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Can't wait to hear it.
Janni

Post by Janni »

Me too!
:smile:
dawman

Post by dawman »

So It Shall Be Written, So It Shall Be Done.
astroman

Post by astroman »

you might want to consider that 1 minute of 2 tracks 32-bit audio at a 44k sample rate require 20 MByte :wink:

which brings us to the question:
which app should receive the mixdown and encode into in mp3 ?

cheers, Tom
dawman

Post by dawman »

SFP can do all of this , right Astro? My recording/sequencing DAW is being built right now, so I want to get started with my 3 x DSP/Giga DAW. 2GB of DDR RAM, and a RaptorX should work right?
ChrisWerner

Post by ChrisWerner »

There is no way that sfp can encode your recorded wav files into an mp3.
You need to encode your recordings to a mp3 file before you can upload your music to Z.

Other file formats are not accepted here.
That would blow up Johns net traffic and nobody would download your file, special those people with a slow internet connection.

You need a program that does this job for you. Programs can be wavelab, sooundforge, or smaller programs I don´t know, that only exists for encoding wav files to a mp3.

Along to this, bear in mind when you plan to upload music here, that Z has a file size limit of 8mb. That´s aprox. 8.30min of music mp3 encoded with 128kbit/sec. quality.
astroman

Post by astroman »

to be honest - afaik it cannot...
it's this infamous over-and-over-requested stereo recorder that simply misses.

regarding the sheer number of already existent recorders and the purpose of the application (MP3 encoding = spoiling the party anyway) it makes sense that CWA doesn't waste resources in this direction.

SFP doesn't write a file any better than any other app :wink:

I never veryfied (possible) quality changes of 32-bit VDAT to Wave destination, but I wouldn't expect a significant loss - the mp3 encoding will have much more impact.

Imho this bit thing is totally exaggerated.
For processing the 32 bits are great (and extremely useful), but for listening they are bare nonsense.
Definetely.
For good reasons there aren't any converters for this rate...

If you've calculated the voltage difference a step in 24 bit linear takes (on a 5V signal this would mean 0.0003125 mV, you'd realise that for 32 bits there doesn't even exist a physical representation in (the environement of) regular electronic gear. :wink:
at the temperature of frozen Nitrogene this might look different, tho...

I'm using TripleDat to encode MP3, which I rarely do anyway, so maybe someone could suggest a convenient and more general application.

cheers, Tom
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Audacity is an excellent program. It's very high quality, simple & intuitive with a great set of features. It's free, open source & runs on Windows, OSX & Linux.

IMO it's an excellent choice for mp3 or ogg encoding even for professionals like Scope4live.

It's available here >>>
<a href="http://audacity.sourceforge.net">http://audacity.sourceforge.net</a>
dawman

Post by dawman »

Brotha'Man Shroomz,
I appreciate the tip, as I await the DAW #2, I don't wish to make any unescessary purchases. This is great 4 me, as it will only be used once. Then my DAW will have all the appropriate software 4 various tasks. I'll have time in the first week of August, while I wait 4 the club to be finished. Right now they are doing 24/7 on the fancy tilework, and huge lighting rigs. I can't wait. I love to lallucinate w/o doing the drugs required, and this club really looks like another planet inside.
tgstgs

Post by tgstgs »

Nero wave editor is free (it comes with DVD RW everyone has) and is better than most of the payed ones! also there are many free ringtone maker, converter . . . mobilphone programs; as i said my mobil does the job;
good luck for the new daw