Are there many of you ?!?!

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Post by valis »

I don't think ACPI is your problem, nor do I think it is a lack of being able to get your Creamware cards to share an IRQ. This was a solution necessary under Windows2000 and win98SE, but with XP things seem to run much smoother for most people.

I read your thread over at: http://www.planetz.com/forums/viewtopic ... &forum=1&0

It is possible that shuffling your cards around will help, just don't install a Creamware card in the slot that your network card is CURRENTLY in as you know that slot will share with the agp slot (most likely its the first slot under the agp slot). I would try that FIRST.

I was actually hoping you had a dual cpu machine, as about 3 years ago I got tired of seeing the same IRQL errors with Nuendo and switched to Logic PC on a whim (although I still use nuendo for the odd audio-centric project due to its sample-accurate preview in the arrange window). I run a dual p4-class Xeon computer, and was using Nuendo 1.x (although a friend of mine has Cubase Sx 2.x and it is the same for me).

Logic PC is discontinued and I'm 'isolated' from the supposed progress of the software music industry so I wouldn't recommend u follow the same route, but it might be worth trying another application demo just to see if you get the same problems. I've not had a single issue since with IRQL errors or blue screens since I left Nuendo. I also suspect that something similar to my dual-cpu issues is at work for all the steinberg users who seem to have issues with HT. I don't have any way to confirm this hunch however.
braincell

Post by braincell »

It's true for me.
On 2004-05-26 20:52, hubird wrote:
On 2004-05-26 20:20, R-type wrote:
I've got three cards on the same IRQ, I set the computer to "standard pc" in the device manager, this I believe disables Windows XP automatically taking over IRQ management.

Then in my bios I set the three PCI slots that my CW cars are in to the same IRQ.
If this is true (I really like to believe it), please put it in the Tips'nTricks forum, the world will be gratefull Image

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: hubird on 2004-05-26 20:53 ]</font>
Jngaelin

Post by Jngaelin »

WOW !!! There shure are alot of answers here !!!

To say that im a bit confused is a very big understatement!!!

I'll try to make a list compiled from all the different point and idea's that all of you people have given me before i start ree-configuring and dessecting my DAW :smile:

"Such a task will be difficult...and the list...very very veeery long...." -Evil spoonman

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Jngaelin on 2004-06-03 16:17 ]</font>
frokka

Post by frokka »

On 2004-05-26 20:20, R-type wrote:
I've got three cards on the same IRQ, I set the computer to "standard pc" in the device manager, this I believe disables Windows XP automatically taking over IRQ management.

When you say "set the computer to standard PC", you mean reinstall, right? You can't manually change the layer in the device manager, ..or?
garyb

Post by garyb »

yeah, if you "reinstall" the acpi "driver" as stanard pc(an option in "choose from list") you can do this. when this is done the hal will be rebuilt and windows will rediscover all of your devices. there is a (very)slight risk of disaster, so.....
The Z Station

Post by The Z Station »

Hello Jngaelin,

I don't know about your particular Mobo but as for my old Asus CUBX, my IRQ's are shared on the hardware level.

I think this is the share scheme for my old board...
PCI 1 = AGP
PCI 2 = AGP
PCI 3 = PCI 6
PCI 4 = PCI 5 + USB
PCI 5 = PCI 4 + USB
PCI 6 = PCI 3

So everytime I change an IRQ resource, it affected whatever it is shared with. This was the one thing that dissapointed me with the CUBX...

So, I had to strategise which peripherals to put where... For a time, I had my Pulsar2 shared with the USB & the Adaptec SCSI = all high bandwidth stuff on the same IRQ and that caused a lot of instability to my system especially on Win98 mode. WinXP faired fairly but it was still very problematic...

Anyway, that was my experience with IRQ sharing. I don't know if it's relevant to this thread but just to give you my 2 cents...

Cheers!
Z

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: The Z Station on 2004-09-20 03:28 ]</font>
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

Wow, big thread!

My 2p:

I have 'manual control' over IRQ assignment for my ASUS p4p MOBO. To tell you the truth, for my system it has made not one tiny sausage of difference whether I allow Windows to assign IRQs automatically or not - whether they are shared or not too.

Anyway, install Windows in 'Standard PC mode' first, then change the IRQ assignment thing in the BIOS to 'PIC' (not 'APIC'). Next, in the BIOS set 'Plug 'n' Play OS' to 'no' or 'off'.

After that, one can assign IRQs directly in the BIOS.

Royston