Monitors

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

valis

Post by valis »

I agree about the space issue, I've got a set of 48" Raxxess (filled with sand) for mine. Made a huge difference.

I do a lot of graphics so it was nice to get the speakers further away from my large crt monitors (comb filtered edge stuff disappeared). Most of you can probably do better with lcd's but for my uses they still dont have the gamma & color gamut to compete with crt's.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Old thread I know but I've not long received the TB2SM's for evaluation and even before full burn in period has passed, I ain't sending them back no way.

I've mixed on ns10's, Krk v8's and the mackie hr824. I'm not bagging the other's BTW, it's just *for my ears* I haven't heard such an un-assuming little speaker open such a big window to detail (even before tuning room acoustics). Time to do some re-learning I think. :smile:

Thanks again for the headsup dArKr3zIn and Mr Arkadin!

For those in AUS who might be interested, the local distributer is:-

Don Dowling
Neotec Audio
Sydney
Tel: 612 9873 3994
Fax: 061 2 9873 3995
http://www.neotec.com.au

He gives Pro audio users a discount and ships the speakers direct to you with a no-obligation trial period. This allows you to try *brand new, not demo* speakers in your own environment with the option to buy. He stressed the no obligation thing to me as well so you are not locked in.

Cheers.

I don't work for PMC or Neotech.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Don't forget they'll sound even better after you've run them in a bit, so play lots of music LOUD for hours on end. :smile: Glad you like them - now burn any NS-10s you come across!!! (sorry couldn't resist one last dig).
Faybs

Post by Faybs »

Hummm .... just want to know how my LP Cabasse behaves beside all the trades you mentionned.

Just to know if I'm OK (anyway i'm satisfied but want to know, just for comparaison)
(bought them 1000$ the pair ten years ago)

Thanks ...
Faybs

Post by Faybs »

They are HI-FI LP, 480x260x300cm 11kg, 100w, sensivity 94db/m, cabinet thickness = 20mm, 2 ways, and are powered by a Yamaha amplifier
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

If you are happy with the sound you are producing, then there is no reason not to use them. I've been mixing on kit built hifi speakers for years because I knew what they sounded like and what to watch out for when using them.
braincell

Post by braincell »

Any thoughts on powered monitors? My audio system is crap from amp to speakers but I don't want to spend a lot.
hubird

Post by hubird »

recently discussed, do a search :smile:
braincell

Post by braincell »

Okay, I guess these all are powered :smile:.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2004-01-09 09:04 ]</font>
Counterparts

Post by Counterparts »

I'd be interested in anybody's opinion of Spirit's Absolute 4P Nearfield monitors:

Got them for a *bargain*. I find them very warm & bright (but wouldn't claim to have the best ear in the world!)

Royston

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Counterparts on 2004-01-09 09:35 ]</font>
braincell

Post by braincell »

I would like monitors with a sp/dif input. The only one I saw was the Eridol. Do they totally suck? They are really cheap.
astroman

Post by astroman »

they do - I have their bigger bros the Roland DS-30 and even those fail completely on bass. Read they need a sub for any reasonable impression of what's going on in the bottom.
I do like them anyway as I also use them for classic and vintage vinyl playback, which they do very pleasing for my ears.
For club stuff they are probably not 'pronounced' enough, so it really depends on your prefered style.

cheers, Tom
gedas

Post by gedas »

Concerning the Spirits: These were my first monitors. I used them for 3 years and never liked them. My mixes would never translate well (ok, that's also attributable to my poor mixing skills), their highs were harsh, and the woofers didn't last long, had them replaced after a year of use. At least compared to Mackies HR824 which I presently mix on, the difference is huge. YMMV though.

Gedas
braincell

Post by braincell »

I went out and bought the Event Biamplified Direct Field. Maybe they aren't the best but I liked the price and I was just using a horrible stereo before. If I release anything on a label I'm going to mix down in a nice studio anyway.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2004-01-09 17:05 ]</font>
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

On 2004-01-09 08:59, braincell wrote:
Okay, I guess these all are powered :smile:.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: braincell on 2004-01-09 09:04 ]</font>
The TB2SM's that I've recieved are passive. The price jumps 3 fold if you buy the bryston amps with them. I sent the specs of my amps off to neotech to see they were up to scratch.
bassdude

Post by bassdude »

Old post but I thought I'd re-hash. dArKr3zIn
and Mr Arkadin are responsible for me being broke. :grin:
I ended up having to buy an amp to suit the tb2's as the current amp was falling far short. Night and Day. Thanks guys again, amazing speakers.

Cheers.
darkrezin

Post by darkrezin »

:grin:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

:lol: Heehee, i only just saw this (been moving house and stuff) - well done on putting audio monitoring integrity above trivial nonsense like having enough money to eat etc.

Me and dark should be on commission from PMC for all these sales we're drumming up :wink:
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hehe, yes you guys should, but then again quite rightly coz PMC monitors are the biz.

Had my TB2s for a few years now, and still never tire from being amazed at how clean and balanced they sound. Went with dArKr3zIn to the shop to check them out, and tested them along with an ex demo Bryston 4B-ST & a new Hafler P3000 amp. In the end decided to go for the P3000 which was more in my price range and for some reason we both agreed that they sounded slightly brighter when we compared them in the shops monitoring room. The Hafler amps are a really good alternative to the much more pricey Bryston's and also suit the TB2's extremely well. Still can't help but think that I should have bought that ex demo 4B-ST though, as it was going for a hell of a lot less than the usual £2000 for new price tag. Oh well, we live and learn :smile:

Wouldn't mind getting the PMC XB1-P Subwoofer sometime too, but wonder if that might bug the next door neighbours too much :lol:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Ooh, which shop did you see these ex-demo Brystons, i might be in the market for one (i have the 2B, would love the extra oomph of a 4B)?

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Mr Arkadin on 2004-03-13 14:04 ]</font>