external fx processor / routing advice

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Interference

external fx processor / routing advice

Post by Interference »

Hi guys,

I plan to buy a hardware fx processor something like ensoniq dp4 with 4 ins and 4 outs. How would you connect something like this in the audio chain? I was thinking about plugging 4 outputs from the ada interface to the 4 inputs of the fx processor (so with XLR jack) then the 4 outputs of the fx to a small audio mixer then output of the mixer to 2 inputs of the adat. Doing this I should be able to create fx busses in the DAW right?

Any other idea?

Thanks
garyb

Re: external fx processor / routing advice

Post by garyb »

you don't need the extra mixer.

you can use auxes in the sequencer mixer using the ASIO i/o, or you can use the auxes in the Scope mixer(if you mix in Scope). just connect the ADAT i/o directly to the mixer or ASIO channels used. FOLLOW THE SIGNAL PATH just as you would for hardware. don't over complicate things....

this is a very good reason to mix in Scope. doing so eliminates latency issues with your external hardware. actually, this is a strong point of Scope. hardware generally is superior to native, although native has some advantages as well...
at0m

Post by at0m »

Actually, I prefer to use $scopedir/Devices/Tools/External Devices/{Source,Dest,Fx} and save those with the actual hardware device's name. This makes for much less spaghetti in my project, and if later I ever connect the hardware somewhere else (say from Analog IO to ADAT convertor box or Z-Link), I update those 'external devices' and all my project routing remains intact \o/

There's a couple quirks with these devices: upon deletion, the IO connectors on the actual hw devices isn't restored. Also the naming in Scope's main panel, like with modular devices, has to be done separately and then the device has to be saved, removed and loaded again. But no show-stoppers, just get to know them a bit..
more has been done with less
https://soundcloud.com/at0m-studio
dawman

Post by dawman »

Man Or Myth.....at0m.

I run an Analog Synth, a Hammond B3 Organ Module, and 3 x Strymon Pedals.
All using the various Soruce and Destination Modules, but the Master Effects Module houses the Strymon Pedals, Mixer AUX channels sends and returns go in and out of the Master Effect Module.
They sound great.
Heres the mobile rig. Underneath is the Synth and B3 Module, Pedals are on top.

F015A70E-FB4B-4C2D-94DB-012F7EE25426.jpeg
F015A70E-FB4B-4C2D-94DB-012F7EE25426.jpeg (2.23 MiB) Viewed 3407 times
1BB9DDFF-1812-454E-9D1E-06312B8BCB55.jpeg
1BB9DDFF-1812-454E-9D1E-06312B8BCB55.jpeg (2.24 MiB) Viewed 3407 times
6E2F611A-8C37-4CB7-88B0-E02474936E0C.jpeg
6E2F611A-8C37-4CB7-88B0-E02474936E0C.jpeg (2.2 MiB) Viewed 3407 times
Interference

Post by Interference »

Guys, thanks for the replies!

@Gary the goal of the extra mixer is only to add some physical inputs as all the inputs of my ADA8200 are used. I never experienced mixing in scope, this could be also an interesting option. But yes basically the concept is " auxes in the sequencer mixer using the ASIO i/o" so actually I do something like that in the sequencer (not in SFP)

@atom I'm not sure to understand how it works (external devices) but I guess in the end it remains the same right? It allows to "follow the sound" and understand the physical routing or is there something else?

@dawman, with your setup you use an output for each strymon pedal or maybe all the pedals are in series. If 1day you have the time that would be great to have a simple drawing of your physical setup for analog source and dest, something like this.
Attachments
simple_config_ with externalFX.jpg
simple_config_ with externalFX.jpg (36.99 KiB) Viewed 3372 times
Interference

Post by Interference »

Sorry for the drawing :)

I expect something like this not more :)
at0m

Post by at0m »

Interference wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 11:39 pm @atom I'm not sure to understand how it works (external devices) but I guess in the end it remains the same right? It allows to "follow the sound" and understand the physical routing or is there something else?
Right, the External Devices are merely aliases for the 'real' (hardware or software) IO. Can be updated, re-saved when connections change, and as a consequence all projects that use them will follow the 'alias' to the new IO. Plus reduces cluttering by connections going all over the place in Scope's Project Window, for example by splitting ADAT IO up into mono/stereo devices.
Interference

Post by Interference »

understood! yes could be interesting.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Heres everything coming into and out of my Scope Project Window
The Z-Link connections are an ancient A16 that sounds as good as every other converter costing 1800 or more.

Those are using Master FX Modules because they are in and out, where as synths use Source Modules, outputs to FOH or IEMs need Destination Modules.

803DA455-3880-4F21-9EDF-BF24F325FB88.png
803DA455-3880-4F21-9EDF-BF24F325FB88.png (647.32 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
A16E82A6-70B8-4979-BA49-115BF48155D4.png
A16E82A6-70B8-4979-BA49-115BF48155D4.png (145.99 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
33BC7338-2ADE-478E-9EE8-AE3EC0C411E6.png
33BC7338-2ADE-478E-9EE8-AE3EC0C411E6.png (768.25 KiB) Viewed 3280 times
at0m

Post by at0m »

dawman wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:49 pm Those are using Master FX Modules because they are in and out
No need if you do not need the dry/wet, phase or delay: you can use Externel Effect ;)
As for the 12dB gain you add there, IIUC that's to compensate for the dry&wet internal mixer. Give it a try.

Only reason you might need this one is if you want to crossfade dry/wet somehow during a performance without crackle, I see you added some delay to the signal (delays the dry to compensate for external routing delay, so dry/wet remain in phase, so maybe that's what you do)
dawman

Post by dawman »

at0m wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:26 pm
dawman wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:49 pm Those are using Master FX Modules because they are in and out
No need if you do not need the dry/wet, phase or delay: you can use Externel Effect ;)
As for the 12dB gain you add there, IIUC that's to compensate for the dry&wet internal mixer. Give it a try.

Only reason you might need this one is if you want to crossfade dry/wet somehow during a performance without crackle, I see you added some delay to the signal (delays the dry to compensate for external routing delay, so dry/wet remain in phase, so maybe that's what you do)
I have to always adjust phase/wet/dry as well as db from AUX sends/returns.
I eliminate any coloring as I made sure my Strymons were high quality transparent FX.
They get phasey from the multiple TS connections.
Once I get what I like its saved with the project.

Never had issues with Analog Effects.
But even my HX-3 FPGA Based Hammond B3 Module needed some adjustments on the mixer channel.

But whatever is needed Scopes tools always work out well.
A really nifty device was a Stereo insert by SpaceF with sample delay.

Im very happy with my live rig.
Turn it on and play.
No need for a mouse and QWERTY once I start.
Interference

Post by Interference »

Thank you guys!
Interference

Post by Interference »

Just 1 more thing @dawman does this mean each strymon is plugged separately to dedicated physica in&out?
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Interference wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:44 pm Just 1 more thing @dawman does this mean each strymon is plugged separately to dedicated physica in&out?
Yes, judging by the photos you can see the I/O to and from Xite's Z-Link, which is then going to the A16 Ultra A/D D/A physical in outs and the strymons are connected to that

Scope Z-Link modules have 8 ports A and 8 ports B :)