Old devices & downloads - do you have them?

A place to talk about whatever Scope music/gear related stuff you want.

Moderators: valis, garyb

Spielraum

Re: DONATION DRIVE for old devices & downloads

Post by Spielraum »

Mr Arkadin wrote: Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:48 am I have a great many as you probably already know :)
YEP, thank you very much
...after years without planetZ (to busy) i came back and found your post´s :D
but where are sharc, schromz, peter...
bcm is so FAT and wants to be developed further
many freeware genies are offline at the moment or ever? pleace not!
thx to roy and cwm for steadfastness!!
cheers for the next 20 years
scopydoo
|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̲̅̅●̲̅̅] Lange Welle ~ Mittelwelle ~ Kurze Welle ~ Ultra Kurze Welle
Scope Sandbox soundcloud ~ youtube ~ bc modular-guide° ~ modules-SR
valis

Post by valis »

I have worked a few times on resolving the broken urls but the size of the database has thus far been an issue (the php import does not complete because all forum posts exceeds 200MB). Did some tests last night breaking this into chunks and broke the forums...

However I did fix a few other errors while I was poking about in the webserver itself, so things should feel a bit faster again.

Will report again soon!
garyb

Post by garyb »

thank you.
GordonGekko

Post by GordonGekko »

+1
valis

Re: Old devices & downloads - do you have them?

Post by valis »

So to be a bit transparent about what is going on here: any device that has a broken link because it has html embedded in the post should be available at scopeusers.com/Pulsar/files, as only the url has changed as the files were copied to this new server by John Cooper. These are the devices I'm attempting to restore direct access to. I bring this up for another reason though...

There are a lot of other devices which have been purged by some sort of time-out in the database. This is a separate issue.

In this second case, the only way I know of restoring old files is by finding a copy of the original download AND insuring that the original author is still around. Most of these are towards the end of each file area at the bottom of these forums (devices/images/modular/presets/projects/study). The message will contain something like this:
This file has expired and is no longer available here. The owner of the topic can re-upload the file, or post a link to an off-site file. <BR><BR><a name="planetz-tag"></a>Price ($USD): 0<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Type: Synth<BR> <a name="planetz-tag"></a>Requires: Pulsar<BR> _____________________________________<BR><BR>
If anyone is bored enough and has old archives, feel free to dig out devices that you think are worthwhile and I will restore them. I am also considering editing topics to reflect missing files, once this entire process is finished.

Lastly, I wonder if we could create a list of the most sought after devices that I could publish on the front-end of the site and as a separate thread here? We don't need to be complete, but a link to each device and a brief description seems like it would be helpful to many users, whether it exists presently or not.

Let me know your thoughts =)
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

I’ll happily upload everything I ever downloaded if you want.
valis

Post by valis »

If the device wasn't removed by the original author, I'm sure we could resurrect them that way as well. However in some cases that's a difficult thing to tell as well, as in this thread:

http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1572

Most of the oldest devices "Expired" like the above thread don't come from the file pool where I can identify devices.

To clarify that, there are two pools of files on this server. One has files dated between 2003 & 2006 and is separate from the forum's file system (/Pulsar/files/devices/ but will not be browsable to you), and the other lives 'inside' the forums and has files dated between 2008 & the present. About mid 2008 file names switch from easily identifiable uploads ("wave_osc_a_180.zip" & etc) to names like "1067_a1a25ab2cd397efb3609c841be092b22". These are the 'modern' phpbb uploads...and these are also the files that in most cases are the most easily relinked. However again a sed/regex fix on these seemed to completely mess up the older files, which comprise more than half of the physical files on this server's disk.

Sorry it's so confusing, I simply inherited it as is =]
petal

Post by petal »

Maybe it would be a better idea to totally rethink the situation and create a "device"-archive from scratch.

It would be easier to find stuff and I'm sure that the lot of us have if not all, most of the devices ever uploaded.

Just a thought :)
dante

Post by dante »

There's a bunch of links to the old www.planetz.com in this Arkadin's free devices article - https://www.scopeusers.com/ScopeRise/is ... a_mast.htm - donno if they can be fixed ?
valis

Post by valis »

dawman

Post by dawman »

Too much typing to find yet another device not as good as our developers or stock modules.

But I would appreciate a giant well organized bunch of folders with tags for browsing, etc.

Ankyuvarymush....
dante

Post by dante »

valis wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:42 pm All links like this: http://www.planetz.com/Pulsar/files/dev ... um_Rep.dev
Can simply be redone like this: http://www.scopeusers.com/Pulsar/files/ ... um_Rep.dev
ok I’ll do that on that article & chuck it up to the Cloud.
valis

Post by valis »

dawman wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:14 pm Too much typing to find yet another device not as good as our developers or stock modules.

But I would appreciate a giant well organized bunch of folders with tags for browsing, etc.

Ankyuvarymush....
Actually I proposed this idea as well at some point. I know that Dante has done some of this work along with others at ScopeRise, but if we wanted to create a curated list of devices here I'd be willing to even post them on the main page of the site or crosspost to the forums and main page both...or something to that effect. Ie, make things nice and simple to help continue to push usage of our legacy and Xite-ing products :D
dante

Post by dante »

I notice link to http://www.scopeusers.com/Pulsar/files/ ... %20ADT.mdl displays binary on browser, rather than prompt user for download.

Whereas link to http://www.scopeusers.com/Pulsar/files/ ... _Coder.dev does prompt for download.

Does 'mdl' need to be registered w/ this site as a downloadable file mime type ?
valis

Post by valis »

mime types are registered, unfortunately some browsers default to their own methods for local files rather than respecting the server published mime types. Firefox for instance works fine, any Chrome derived browser does not as it will call the appropriate OS call when a file type is clicked that doesn't have a built in handler (video files, audio files, flash etc will be handled internally for instance). I had to look this up and found the code where Chromium (codebase for Chrome/new Edge/Vivaldi/Opera/Brave/etc).

So it's quite likely you have .dev setup to be handled by Scope, but not .mdl which makes sense as it's a modular module not a device. Try to associate .mdl with Scope and see if Chrome's behavior changes please, I do not have Chrome installed on my Scope box (nor does it have exposure to the web any longer).
janniesophia42

Re: Old devices & downloads

Post by janniesophia42 »

guppy wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:04 am Yyou can still download lots of them here:
http://gcluber.free.fr/free_devices.zip
http://gcluber.free.fr/devices_not_classified.zip
These are worth able. Thanks :)
fraz

Post by fraz »

valis wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:38 am Hello everyone! As the old downloads and devices are still not fully fixed, I wanted to gauge how many of you are out there holding pitchforks and torches ready to beat down my door in frustration. Just kidding. It's time again to look at the old devices and downloads section and see if I can implement a fix.

(EDIT) Just a note that the "Donate" button is at the bottom of every page and links directly to Paypal's donation form. There's also been a few great suggestions that we should discuss as well.
Hi - When it comes to all the devices available for free I don't know too much about how many of these there are. Some were collected years ago but not that many.

I've downloaded two files from this page - "free devices" & "devices not classified" - I'll back these up now.

As for funding, how much do people donate? - How much is actually required to do what is needed? - Any info please - Thanks

OK - So thanks for the downloads - one is 500 MB whilst the other is 91 MB - I do have SDK for Scope 7 but haven't got a clue how to use it - Never used it yet - Just thought it was a good idea to look into things later on - :) - Bit of a donation from me $35 hope it helps a little to keep the free devices flowing - :)
valis

Post by valis »

I had someone who was willing to spend the time on the dB back when I posted that, but the world has changed a lot so I would need to get new pricing.

Appreciate the donation, should I send it back until I can price this again?
fraz

Post by fraz »

valis wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 11:48 am I had someone who was willing to spend the time on the dB back when I posted that, but the world has changed a lot so I would need to get new pricing.

Appreciate the donation, should I send it back until I can price this again?
Hello - You required a donation - :) - How many active SCOPE USERS are there? - Whilst it may be niche there are quite a few people who will drift in and out of these forums from time to time - When enthusiasm strikes them (which it will) people come back here asking for boards for their PCI cards that they've held onto.

If 50 people gave the same amount it would be $1,500.

Maybe if the database was rescued and hosted here and people got hold of everything and backed it up - Then they've got it.

Or possibly if the files were hosted for short ish periods of time then cost would be reduced - I don't know anything about what you have to do from a technical point - But I hope it can work - Thanks - :)