New plugins available for SCOPE on S|C website

dNa Devices discussion & support

Moderators: valis, RA

RA

Re: New plugins available for SCOPE on S|C website

Post by RA »

Thanks yayajohn! Good to hear you like 'em and our music!
Spread the word; i kept the price low for a reason; it should be interesting and affordable for everyone to enjoy.

Because i also think customers like nice things to see on a screen besides a DAW i created a big interface with a nice BIG VU and BIG KNOBS :) Big knobs sound better haha as we always say on analog hardware :P

I also think 'animated tubes' are not worth the resources...yes, we can put in a knob which can switch it off....but should we sacrifice space for a knob that does only that? Instead i made a good effort making the tubes a real as possible....actually...they are real tubes photographed....some nice good NOS Philips miniwatts ECC83 :lol: (for the freaks haha) And as said...on analog tubegear
with these low-power tubes: they just start to glow, and stay put....if the filaments fluctuate something is wrong with your tubegear(or your powersocket). So that is the reason why it is as it is, and why we'll keep it like it is. Sound first and last; that is the goal for dNa-plugins.
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

yayajohn wrote:
@Soundesigner: I have a feeling you are going to like both devices.......a real bargain IMHO.

I have a feeling your right on the money. I spent several hours last night testing the compressor and i must say i am VERY VERY VERY impressed. I will go as far as to say that this is the best analog-style plugin compressor i've heard and i've tried alot of the better ones out there. Mastercomp has a great ability to impart a personal sound of its own WITHOUT being too heavy-handed and bringing some unwanted characteristic/artifacts to the table. It is definitely a master and bus compressor with some personality. Glues things nicely and gives a 'record sound' while not being too heavy-handed.

DNA is a VERY good developer/s and VERY promising company, excellent additiion to the SCOPE Platform. The compressor is excellent/top-shelf and i have no doubt the eq is as well; more true jewels for the SCOPE platform but sadly no one else knows about them (like other great SCOPE plugins). I'm sure the price being so low will make many people think these new plugins don't compete with the best out here and no animated tubes will further convince them :) , but i can say in my view the compressor is stellar. If your reading this thread and your thinking about buying but wondering if the plugins are worth it, i say buy, this new company knows what they are doing. Their advertisement and website info is'nt cheap marketing tricks at all they know their stuff. There is something genuine sounding about the compressor, it will more then likely be my new go to. And i will be buying the EQ in the VERY near future also since i am sure its going to be great judging by the compressor. And i will also be keeping a eye on the company for any new plugins.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Fri May 17, 2013 8:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Glad to see DNA selling at a very reasonable price will pick up the Compressor and give it a try.. I am a cheap ass yes but then €200+ is a lot for a none pro user... hope the trend continues because its going to keep me very happy in the man cave
bebecrystal

Post by bebecrystal »

Just bought these and verry happy with them :) One of the best compressor and eq i have. Looking forward to seeing more from dna
RA

Post by RA »

@Sounddesigner & bebecrystal: Again very happy you guys like the plugins. I hope it makes your mixing even more fun ;-) (and easier)

Thanks for the support and good comments!
mausmuso

Post by mausmuso »

I have to say the plugs are good as well
Thanks for your work.
Small improvement would be to be able to solo the Mid and Side in the EQ.
regards
Maus
Liquid EDGE

Post by Liquid EDGE »

On the list of wants.

Agree. Solo for mid and side would be handy.

Really is great to see new quality stuff coming to the platform regularly.

Nice one for joining the sonic core family dNa. :)
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Yes supporting new developers is a must, and at these prices a no-brainer (or sore dick deal as Jimmy would say). I like to support developers with good products and good attitude - dNa has both (see also: Space F).

Of course you should only buy a product if it's good, regardless of how nice the developer may be. No worries on that front from me.

I'll leave it to others to say whether the M/S stuff is good/useful - I don't use that technique.
ShogunSpy

Post by ShogunSpy »

Just bought these :) what are the filters for....low pass high ect ? I thought you filtered in the mix. And how does it function as a limiter ? Sorry but I am still learning
RA

Post by RA »

Okay, thanks for the feedback. i'll give it a second thought about the solo function on the dNa-Stereo Equaliser.

The reason why it was not included on purpose: in MS when you "shape" the channels using this equaliser the levels can change a lot, because it are rather wide equalisers; a coloring-box...therefor: it's best that you make the the final balance between M and S with the gain/levels after equalising, because it also controls the width of the mix. So the level of M or S can be turned down as long as you are equalising, and therefor a solo-button wasn't an absolute must...Then secondly the choice was esthetically and save dsp by not including solo buttons. But as said...i'll give it a second thought.

On the dNa-MasterCOMP and the filters: No, the filters are NOT working on the actual signal/mix itself. The SC-Tone filters are used for shaping the sidechain, and thus control HOW the compressor reacts to the mix-signal. For example: if you have a mix with a lot of low frequency energy (for example dance/electronic music) you can use the sidechain for shaping so the compressor doesn't go pumping "on the beat"; everytime a bassdrum hits the compressor reacts to much by compressing the mix. Also a "good" mix has a frequency distribution sort of like a pink noise curve. So a compressor works different on higher frequency energy/bands. The medium and SMACK filters shape the sidechain by attenuating lower frequencies and lifting higher frequencies and thus making respons more lineair on the frequency bands. Experiment with the settings by ear, a very nice default starting point i think is the vintage or medium setting.

And don't worry: It can take years to really know what your doing and can achieve with compressing, and use it to make the most out of it; also because there are different types. The dNa-MasterCOMP may look simple...but that can be deceiving. It actually is a complex compressor combining a lot of different analog techniques in one processor.

Soundwise and learningwise: you may also be stubborn....use ears: if it sounds good....tape it. If it sounds fatiguing you are probably overdoing it, so less treshold. Try reading some articles on compression because it can be one of your most powerfull tools for creating a phat and punchy sound, or give mixes some "glue".

The link-filters: check for some info on the website: http://dnamusic.nl/dNa.Scope/index.php/dna-mastercomp

A typical limiter is usually use just on peaks so starting point in settings:
SC Style: Modern FF ; peak
SC Tone: Vintage or medium
Link filter: High pass, with 0-50 blend for limiting peaks on the L/R channel seperatly
Others: short attack, fast release, high ratio

There are presets for limiting, and of course you can use limiting for different purposes...because you can use it for more than just controlling peaks/transients ;-)
Actually....you may also just enable the analog feature, which can also "limit" fast peaks.

Hope this makes some things clearer.
Regards, Ray
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

RA, congratulations on your plugin release. It's great to see people still developing plugins for Scope! 8)

I'm interested in trying your compressor. How many DSP cycles does it use on the old 60 MHz chips?
RA

Post by RA »

Thanks Shroomz.

The dNa-MasterCOMP will use roughly between 765 ~ 1210 DSP cycles depending on settings on the old chips. (Just over 1 Sharc)
The dNa-Stereo Equaliser will use roughly between 470 ~ 960 DSP Cycles depending on settings on the old chips. (Less than 1 Sharc)

The analog circuits can use up quite a bit of processing power. But i made the placements and usage as dynamic as possible.

Best,
Ray
Shroomz~>

Post by Shroomz~> »

Thanks for the quick reply Ray, that's cool. 8)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have a small request if possible.
I use the Live Bar to put plug ins there that do not have the funtion which
allows them to be recalled via the Screen Sets.
Many developers overlook this as it's not a show stopper by any means.
But being a Live Performer sometimes the workflow necessitates a rapid
capability that Scope is known for, and the Screen Sets are great.
For example I have the BCF 2000 encoder group 2 for the DNA EQ Controls,
which is placed Post Mixer and Pre QSC 12 powered Midfields.
Sometimes I need to change the EQ and realize while playing, so being able
to reach over and immediately call up the EQ would be really great.
In the future if you have the time to implement this I would be very grateful.

Wolfs Analyzer and RoyTs cwmix 8-2 are a part of this chain and they have the
Screen Set ability. Which means I can make a Post Screen Set where the
Analyzer A, CWMIX 8-2 and DNA EQ can all be called up in a Screen Set.

Thanks for any time spent.

FWIW I was using the CW Graphics EQ but find DNA EQ to be a much fuller
sounding device that works well in the world of Live Sound.
Attachments
Project.JPG
Project.JPG (131.62 KiB) Viewed 6166 times
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Jimmy.. I autorized myself to post your project window here :
http://www.audiokeys.net/forum/showthre ... 662-Xite-1

It's a very nice french forum about all synth and where some people didn't know about Scope. I wrote there my Xite-1 opinion in the test gear section.
Tell me if you want me to take it off.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
dawman

Post by dawman »

I wish not to control information.
That is for the wealthy redistributors around the world.
I appreciate your concerns though Mon Frere.
Here are the screenshots I use and the Project with a better view.
XITE-1 Screenshots.rar
(6.25 MiB) Downloaded 127 times
Merci
RA

Post by RA »

Hi dawman,

sorry for the delay (holy days ;-) haha
I'll check this at a later stage. Have some other priorities with some other plugs. Thanks for this feedback though!
I'll see what i can do in this.

Grtz
dawman

Post by dawman »

Ladies & Gentlemen..........RA

Ankyu
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

RA wrote: Have some other priorities with some other plugs.

I've read your interview with Dante in Scoperise and i must say i am very much looking forward to the new plugins. The multi-fx definitely has my attention and seems like it will fill a voide in the platform. Can't wait to see what the updates are that will come to masterCOMP and the eq, love them both and they are no doubt my favorites in their categories. I compared them to some of the best plugins out there and all the extreme-oversampling, complex tweaking, etc in this world don't help those others to sound better than yours. I see i might as well just give you my Debit Card number and you just charge it every time you release a new plugin :P .. Your work is top-notch, looking forward to the next releases. Can't wait!

EDITED
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

fancy doing a redd47 tube pre with redd47/rs127 pop eq

im building one and have a face panel made from it

the eq is passive and has a redd47 tube make up stage

when i have built it i can send to you for you to get test signals

if you want the schematics i can send them

would be great to get some abbeyroad emi plugs in scope
Attachments
Redd47 and IAN's PCB's.pdf