New plugins available for SCOPE on S|C website

dNa Devices discussion & support

Moderators: valis, RA

RA

Re: New plugins available for SCOPE on S|C website

Post by RA »

Ahw....well...new and good stuff will follow....we'll be following you for sure ;-)
- We're freaks about gearz and methods -
More on dNa: http://dnamusic.nl
borg

Post by borg »

dante wrote:
Mr Arkadin wrote:Would be interesting if you did an internal DAW mix with similar processing and the Scope mix side by side to hear how much difference their is.
Eventually I will but I expect it will take me a while to get the best out of an entirely new mix and master setup. I've been using more or less the same 48khz DAS setup for a couple of years now .... So this is like getting a complete new desk.
an objective review wouldn't hurt, as it seems difficult for Scope to have an easy way to deal with demo's... But anyway, what's the real sonic benefit over using the stock devices? I essentially do the same stuff for quite some time: set levels in Ableton, group tracks, multiple asio tracks to scope, some scope synths and aux fx, and eq and compression for fine tuning (and not automated in the song).
So, I made a project like yours, 96 kHz, an STM 2448 X, eight Vinco S Xs, Master It EQ, and Optimaster, ControlRoom, and one voice of sparC (by wavelength), and I have about the same DSP usage. I'm pretty happy as is, so apart from the simpler interface it offers, I want some sonic advantages, too! convince us, Ray :-) ...
I'm near the finishing of a new template set ;-) I would also miss auxes...
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
RA

Post by RA »

Hi Andy,

Your right you want some feedback on the devices, and you can see different objective reviews and experiences here on the forum.

Honestly, if you are happy with your setup, that's fine with me. I don't feel that i should convince you into getting the dNa processors.
That is totally for yourself to make up. I stand for the quality and the love i put in these ;-) There is enough info i posted on the dNaMusic.nl website
on specs etc and where you can for example see that the MasterComp is a totally other breed of compressor(just compare specs and feature with others), which just sounds musical to my and other's ears. Besides that there are lot's of features other plugins do not have plus midi in/out for obvious reasons, analog moddelling, bypass phase coherent with processed signal etc, etc...

Why get a API compressor, when you already have Manley, Focusright, TL Audio etc you say....well....because you can ;-) haha No, just kidding, maybe read others what they feel the processors do for them. For me sound, ease of use / intuitive and aesthetics

Hope you'll get some feedback from others. And if not, still OK, as long as you have fun making music; that is the most important. In the end: "It's not in the gear, it's in the ear" :) :D
dante

Post by dante »

borg wrote:an objective review wouldn't hurt, as it seems difficult for Scope to have an easy way to deal with demo's... But anyway, what's the real sonic benefit over using the stock devices?
FOr me, now on my second 'dNa' only mix - I would say the following.

Using Summer to mix tracks from Native DAW (Reason) I have imported MIDI and Audio from a very old Rock track.

I'm using 6 - 8 tracks with some amp/cab guitar sims in Reason, and native reverb only. Sending those to Summer and mastering with dNa StereoEQ and the StereoComp, with dNa MixComp on most of the tracks coming from Reason.

The outcome is a totally different way of working than what I'm used to. The sound is more of a live band, rather than a slick studio production. The overall mix has a life more like what I was mixing in the 80's, more analog using the 'Analog' switches. But one has to be VERY careful to use Amp sims and Cab overdrive in Native then applying the dNa Analog switches as well. But if you get the balance right, the sound is, to me so far, more alive and 'analogy' and less like the clean electronic mixes I've been doing.

In Summary, I can make 6 tracks sound bigger and fill a mix more like a live band (even though its a fake one man band) with dNa. Whereas my DAS mixes have been more complex with more 'stuff' to make it sound full.

I'm not saying a DAS mix sounds better than a dNa mix or vice versa, but I WOULD say the dNa stuff adds another option. Forcing a different way to work yields different results. So I do know under which circumstances I would use either set of plugs.

And its individual. I'm sure someone using either set of plugs could make the overall result sound different than what I would as well.

So I am happy to make either dNa or DAS mixes depending on the sound I'm after for a track. There is definitely a place for both in my sonic arsenal, where I dabble in multiple genres.
shayart

Post by shayart »

I bought the Bundles dNa: MixCOMP + Mastering :)

Hoping they would send me the keys quickly.....

Thanks again DNA... :wink:
nomagic

Post by nomagic »

I tried to follow dante's setup for the dNa-Summer-of-82.
I could not find DAS FX RACK and scope AuxRack didn't work well (sat errorrs with xite), so finally i took DynamicMixer. Now there is a dNa-StereoCOMP in each channel before the Summer.
Xite setup w. dNa-bundles
Xite setup w. dNa-bundles
setup.jpg (139.71 KiB) Viewed 11861 times
As a next step i added dNa-Super8Tracker (just to play with it, for drums). The output is mixed to stereo (dynamixer, no effects) and then routed to the last dNa-Summer-of-82. I'm not shure if this is an efficitent setup, so any comments are welcome :)

I am now a proud owner of two bundles: dNa-Summer-of-82 & dNa-Super8Tracker and MixCOMP Bundle - esp. because of your "mixing-philosophy". I didn't buy the Mastering Bundle until now - i already have so many mastering tools for xite, and i'm unsure if it will be too much "color" if dNa-StereoEqualiser and dNa MasterCOMP follow as next step in my setup. Would like to hear your opinions on that...
RA

Post by RA »

Just to save some DSP, loose the first dynamixer....just switch the mixcomps in between the summer and the asio's.

Actually, you can hardly go wrong with the mastering tools....too much color you say....well, that's where your ears come in ;-)....if it sounds good to you, it is good....that is what a producer supposed to do, look for "his" sound....if you like it, there will be others who will like it...be stubborn, and keep A/B-ing with things you like as a guideline. The mastering compressor and stereo EQ: you don't HAVE to use the analog...even when disabled, the processor can give you more life to your mixes....the compressor even has a GOOD phasecoherent blend feature, as in...compress some more on your mix, en dial with blend. We call this parallell compression and can give you compression which you almost can't hear when used correctly. (might check Bob Katz mastering guide for good tips)

Just try what works for you, sometimes be stubborn and even look at the extremes, sometimes that is where surprises are....if it gets you excited use it ;-)

You and Shayart, Have fun, and thanks for supporting us!
dante

Post by dante »

nomagic wrote:I tried to follow dante's setup for the dNa-Summer-of-82.
I could not find DAS FX RACK and scope AuxRack didn't work well (sat errorrs with xite), so finally i took DynamicMixer. Now there is a dNa-StereoCOMP in each channel before thet...
The only reason used the DAS FX RACK was to simplify the appearance of the project. You can just put the compressors in-line.

I think the Scope AuxRack puts the effects into series which defeats the purpose.

But I think you're right about one thing - the DAS site seems to have gone !
nomagic

Post by nomagic »

You can just put the compressors in-line.
So many years with scope and i didn't see the simple way :)

I spent some hours comparing old projects (avoid mixing in Cubase, many direct outs to scope) with "the new way" (8 subgroups in Cubase, 8 dNa-StereoCOMP, dNa-Summer-of-82). This is cool for new projects, because i get a good sounding template to start with (must be careful to choose the right subgroup now...). I think this will be my new "startup-project" for new songs.

I agree that is easier/faster to get a good sounding mix with this new tools if you start a new setup and if you like this sound - i do :)

Will dNa MasterCOMP be better for subgroups than my dNa-StereoCOMP?
dawman

Post by dawman »

Thanks so much for the project window views, I just dropped in to plead with someone to show me some jpegs so I could see the devices w/ the size and I/Os.
Already making BCModular patches and BCF 2000 Templates.
I'll be using 4 x Super 8's and 2 x Summer 82's in between 2 x 32 I/O BCM Patches.
One for Sources, one for Destinations.
Talk about a really clean project window. Everything inside the shells can be summoned internally, including djmicrons kick but Dynamixer Modular, and STW Reverbs, Chorus, etc.

This sucks.........really. I can't even remember the last time I saw anything and couldn't buy it.
I am so broke right now I can'te even pay attention.
I'm squeezing my quarters so hard that the Eagle screams.
And when I pull a US Dollar Bill out of my pocket, George Washington actually squints as he hasn't seen the sun in weeks....

But it's going to be a great Merry Christmas for all around me, and that's worth it.
I wish I were a child again where relatives knocked on the door and handed me gifts....

I'll get these soon enough damn it.
RA

Post by RA »

Dawman, sorry to hear your that broke :cry: Especially since i fixed up screensets to make you life easier :D :lol:

Nomagic(but also other users), the dNa-MasterComp is aimed at mastering, but there is nothing holding you back in using that on busses too....especially since there you have the parallel feature!!!, and different filters in SC section, but less options for release....the dNa-StereoCOMP also has variable release to tune it to your source. And the MixComp's have external sidechain input...They're not THAT different, both are very good compressors. Might also want to try a Stereo Equaliser on subgroups....before or even after the compressor on that channel if you have one there...But....if you put the EQ AFTER the COMP and already pushing the COMP, it will be better to CUT FREQ's on the EQ instead of BOOST...for example if you want to add low and highs, you can also pull out mids. Remember (TIP!!!!) filtering/cutting sounds more forgiving/less intrusive to the ear than boosting.

Hope this helps in mixing ;-)
dante

Post by dante »

dawman wrote:This sucks.........really. I can't even remember the last time I saw anything and couldn't buy it.
I am so broke right now I can'te even pay attention.

You didn't get any money from the Vegas punters ? I thought maybe Caesers Palace management could let you set up a busking gig in the foyer intercepting the $$$ before they get chewed up by the one armed bandits. You could call the gig 'Jimmy the 2 Armed Bandit and his side-kick Solaris' :D
Eanna

Post by Eanna »

Bought the DAW and Mastering bundles.
Really like these devices. And I'm using it as Dante has described.
It's as others have said - these devices allow a simplifying of device chains in a Project for a purpose. And, yep, things do sound very impressive too, more coloured, not darker, but I think I have more energy without using some kind of dedicated saturation.

It means that I can now have a standard Scope project template for mixdown / mastering, with no clutter. It's like having an external Summing box.
And a new standard Scope project template for a Recording channel project for the 8 ins from ADAT.

Great useful devices, sound is great, easy to use, DSP usage good, looks cool (looks 'modern' rather than simply 'functional'), fills a gap for me in Scope. Thanks!
Not because it is easy, but because it is hard...
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote: the DAS site seems to have gone !
Yea it looks like DAS is gone. They have a couple plugin types not being offered by other developers wich isn't good, such as their gate and the only transient-designer . Hopefully Sonic Core will be allowed to continue selling the plugins DAS have on S|C website. But the plugins on DAS's own website it looks like those are gone forever. DAS also did custome built devices for users when requested and paid for wich was a VERY nice service.
dante

Post by dante »

Bugger. But oh well I have all the good DAS plugs ... I was just hoping they might make some new ones for Scope 6.

Long live DAS and now dNa.

The good thing is how dNa plugs compliment the DAS ones rather than be too much alike.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Ray! I love all of your device's. Glad you decided to develop them and hope there will be many more to come. Modulation effects would be most welcome esp with your simple yet complex approach and an analog type sound.

Too bad about DAS. Would be nice if someone with first hand knowledge could pipe in with the story. (on another thread in consideration of DNA interests of course)

Dan
garyb

Post by garyb »

Eric from DAS has been very ill. i'm not sure if he's ok at all. i think Olive is well, so perhaps the situation is temporary...
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:( thnks gary. keep us posted ok?
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Oh dear, didn't know that. If there is any way to pass on our Get Well wishes then please do send our best to Eric, and also say hi to Olive from us all. Thanks.
hubird

Post by hubird »

including me.