What AD/DA converter box for the Xite-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dubcotics

What AD/DA converter box for the Xite-1

Post by dubcotics »

Dear all,

Could you please recommend me a good quality AD/DA converter box for the Xite-1 not to break the bank :)
Price range would be from 600 euros to perhaps 1200 euros max.

Regards,

Didier
dawman

Re: What AD/DA converter box for the Xite-1

Post by dawman »

I wouldn’t hesitate to get a used A16 Ultra.
There are others but I’m routing Strymon Pedals, Microphones, Hardware Amalog Synths FPGA Based Hardware modules.
Everything you throw at it.
I’ve got 2 other ADAT based units that are nice but limited to 8 and 16 I/Os.
Z-Link is 16 and ADAT 16 more.
They have tonal differences which is nice for certain things, but A16U is just transparent and you can find another 32 I/O but having ZLink is a blessing.
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Thanks Dawman! Which one uses the Z-link? Does the A16 uses it? They are hard to comeby second hand.

didier
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

dawman wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:13 pm I wouldn’t hesitate to get a used A16 Ultra.
My recommendation for XITE-1 too.
Meanwhile I bought 1 Creamware A16 Ultra as well as a S|C logo "blackface" one.
They are identical tech wise, but the S|C A16U looks better together w/ XITE in a rack.

In future I´ll use the CW A16U w/ the 15DSP PCI card and the S|C A16U w/ XITE-1, which saves all the ADAT ports for other purposes.
It´s all about Z-Link which is IMO better than ADAT and provides twice the channels w/ sample rates above 48Khz,- means: No SMUX !

I want a Z-Link- and a Sync-plate for the CW SCOPE 15DSP card now.
So, when someone wants to sell such devices in good/ working condition,- pm me please !
I´m possibly willing to trade the 2x ADAT I/O w/ cable-whip (analog/ SPDIF & MIDI I/Os) plate for the Z-Link plate too.

:)

Bud
dawman

Post by dawman »

Damn Bud I was unaware ZLink was SMUX-less.
ADAT is fine for 44.1k.
I’m trying 96k out and see what differences I notice, other than resources.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Zlink can do any number of channels (1-16) at any sample rate (32/45/48/88/96).

ADAT can only up to 8 ch at 48kHz. SMux gets up to 96kHz, but you have to sacrifice 4 channels of bandwidth to do it.
Janni

Post by Janni »

I want a Z-Link- and a Sync-plate for the CW SCOPE 15DSP card now.
If I remember right: In Z-Link mode the PCI-Card has to be master and the A16Ultra has only the slave option.
That means you can't sync a system running in Z-Link mode to another external source like wordclock.
I have got the same "problem" and in Scope 7 even the WC IOs aren't workink (yet?).
So I am using ADAT, so far.
But I am not certain about that.
-/-
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think the XITE has a better clock than what can be clocked over adat. To me I want the XITE to be master
dawman

Post by dawman »

jksuperstar wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 10:39 am Zlink can do any number of channels (1-16) at any sample rate (32/45/48/88/96).

ADAT can only up to 8 ch at 48kHz. SMux gets up to 96kHz, but you have to sacrifice 4 channels of bandwidth to do it.
I tried 96k and for live I’d rather stick with 44.1k or 48k when I use Solaris.

Man I must admit I made lots of money thanks to Holger, John Bowen and Juergen.
The XITE-1 with a Solaris, and the A16.
What a nice portable powerhouse.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

I picked up a used A16U a few years back and the Z-link into the Xite-1 is awesome esp since you can use the ADAT and every other I/O on the Xite simultaneously.
It really is too bad Ferrofish doesn't offer a Z-link option because I would definitely drop the cash for a new unit.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

Janni wrote: Sat Jan 26, 2019 2:39 pm

If I remember right: In Z-Link mode the PCI-Card has to be master and the A16Ultra has only the slave option.
That means you can't sync a system running in Z-Link mode to another external source like wordclock.
:-?

What ?
Is that true ?

Bud
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, Z-Link does not mean no wordclock.
dawman

Post by dawman »

XITE-1 is Master for me and A16U is quiet as a mouse.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

garyb wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:37 pm no, Z-Link does not mean no wordclock.

Great news !

8)

Thx for chiming in, Gary !

The masterplan is 1 machine w/ CW SCOPE PCI & A16U, the other (possibly laptop if I can find one) w/ S|C XITE-1 and S|C A16U and a 3rd machine just only native RME ´cause I have the card and 8-ch. ADDA in stock anyway.
I´d like to realize w/ SCOPE 7.1 when BNC wordclock is back and buying a Mutec masterclock unit which will be master then.

So again,- when someone wants to sell a Z-Link plate and/or Sync plate for SCOPE PCI card or is willing to trade a Z-Link plate for a Classic plate (2xADAT I/O, analog, SPDIF, MIDI),- pm me please.

:)

Bud
Janni

Post by Janni »

garyb wrote: Sun Jan 27, 2019 9:37 pm no, Z-Link does not mean no wordclock.
That is GREAT!!!! :)

Then I am waiting for 7.1 and hope the wordclocksync gets fixed.
-/-
dubcotics

Post by dubcotics »

Got a second hand Ferrofish A16 MKII but no Z-link as Sonic Core A16 is hard to comeby and needed multi in and out.

Thank you guys , I've learned a lot just by reading the posts!
dawman

Post by dawman »

That’s actually a great unit built by the same engineer.
frokka

Post by frokka »

dawman

Post by dawman »

That’s not a bad price.

I got a kick out of this though.
“Free Worldwide Shipping”

Shipping to: Worldwide
Excludes: Southeast Asia, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Ecuador, Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas), French Guiana, Guyana, Paraguay, Peru, Suriname, Uruguay, Venezuela, Bermuda, Greenland, Mexico, Saint Pierre and Miquelon, Algeria, Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Burundi, Cameroon, Cape Verde Islands, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Congo, Democratic Republic of the, Congo, Republic of the, Côte d'Ivoire (Ivory Coast), Djibouti, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Ethiopia, Gabon Republic, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Madagascar, Malawi, Mali, Mauritania, Mauritius, Mayotte, Morocco, Mozambique, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Reunion, Rwanda, Saint Helena, Senegal, Seychelles, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Swaziland, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia, Uganda, Western Sahara, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Bahrain, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Oman, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, Yemen, Afghanistan, Armenia, Azerbaijan Republic, Bangladesh, Bhutan, China, Georgia, India, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Mongolia, Nepal, Pakistan, Russian Federation, Sri Lanka, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan, American Samoa, Cook Islands, Fiji, French Polynesia, Guam, Kiribati, Marshall Islands, Micronesia, Nauru, New Caledonia, Niue, Palau, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Tonga, Tuvalu, Vanuatu, Wallis and Futuna, Western Samoa, Albania, Andorra, Belarus, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Bulgaria, Croatia, Republic of, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Gibraltar, Greece, Guernsey, Hungary, Iceland, Jersey, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Montenegro, Poland, Portugal, Romania, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Svalbard and Jan Mayen, Ukraine, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda, Aruba, Bahamas, Barbados, Belize, British Virgin Islands, Cayman Islands, Costa Rica, Dominica, Dominican Republic, El Salvador, Grenada, Guadeloupe, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Jamaica, Martinique, Montserrat, Netherlands Antilles, Nicaragua, Panama, Saint Kitts-Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Turks and Caicos Islands, PO Box

That kind of narrows things down.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

:lol: