Windows on MacBook Pro to run Scope ?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Wiredo

Windows on MacBook Pro to run Scope ?

Post by Wiredo »

Newbie laptop hopeful here , get a Mac , run Windows to run xite ..., Is it best to get a huge external hardrive to run vsts?,

And is Mac all that?, I mean , yes my pc home computer with Scope gets hung up sometimes with 15 vsts, but lots of Ram there , Macs have little, but boast less scattered manufacturer parts so apparently seems to run well.,

Or just save the bucks and get a laptop pc?,

Run gig performer, or cantabile if Scope supports it

Foresee any glitches ?
garyb

Re: Windows on MacBook Pro to run Scope ?

Post by garyb »

first as to whether a Mac is all that....
if you're running windows, then yes, and no.
yes, a Mac is made from good quality parts. it's a great machine!
but no, a Mac is just a PC. it uses what are basically PC parts. a high quality PC is the same quality as a Mac and does the same work.

i would save the money and use a PC.

i don't expect any special problems, but others who use that specific software would have to respond to that part of the query.

one thing...
if you use a Macbook instead of a desktop, you will probably need a Thunderbolt to Expresscard adapter. these are made by Sonnet Technologies. since Expresscard and Thunderbolt are both the PCIe standard, it's not a difficult thing to adapt.
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoe ... rbolt.html
Wiredo

Post by Wiredo »

Thanx Gary, a leveno looks pretty heavy duty , my fear would be crashing , Cubase loses its Asio sometimes and I have to restart it, are you saying pc laptops don’t need the express card?
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, a PC lappy would still need to use the Expresscard.

as far as crashing goes, that's no different between PC and Mac. if it crashes, then something else is at fault, a plugin or other software. cracks will also provide crash-o-rama, especially with something as well protected and complex as Cubase.

after a crash, it is normal to have to close and reopen Scope first. when Cubase crashes, it never releases the ASIO driver and Windows assumes that the driver is still being used. restarting Scope closes the ASIO driver and opens a new instance that the sequencer can use again.

if Cubase just plain loses the driver, then perhaps the checkbox to "release the driver in the background" is checked in Cubase...anyway, Cubase is not normally so unstable on either platform.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Laptops are nice, but often have power saving features in the bios or in the drivers that *can* prevent you from using the full power available for real-time processing.. and manifests in things like audio glitches, midi jitter, and asio drop outs. I'd recommend a desktop platform (compact, rack, or otherwise) , as you don't get those issues.

(Ps- OSX gets around this by not coming close to the low latencies PCs get!)
Last edited by jksuperstar on Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiredo

Post by Wiredo »

Live , a desktop might suck

Gary, if Scope gets hung up, ( GUI freezes or whatever), I have to close Cubase , then Scope
Then reopen both , which sucks ...Scope first of course
garyb

Post by garyb »

what do you do to hang Scope?

yes, that would be the normal result of a crash, as i explained.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Staring at a laptop on stage sucks too.
garyb

Post by garyb »

i'd rather have a 1 space rack mount( talk to dawman), if you were going to use vstis or a sequencer live, or if it's just to use the XITE by itself, something like a rack mounted(one space) mac mini as sunmachine demonstrated in this thread:
http://forums.scopeusers.com/viewtopic. ... ni#p330861
Wiredo

Post by Wiredo »

Maybe ram, too many vsts , I just don’t know , once asio is blown , there used to be a work around , by changing system to slave, then back to master, now it doesn’t work at all, have to shut down all systems to recover asio
garyb

Post by garyb »

that doesn't sound like Scope is crashing, it sounds like Cubase is crashing, but neither program is unstable. it's up to you to avoid doing things that always lead to a crash :lol: however, if it's random, then some detective work is necessary. as i said, if Cubase crashes, it won't release the ASIO driver, and restarting Scope is the way to fix that.

what is sharing an irq with the Scope hardware?

if the problem is ram, is it bad ram? or is you system running low on ram for the plugins you are using? only sample-based vstis would really have this problem.

what os are you using? how much ram do you have? what is the rest of the hardware? is it a particular plugin that is unstable?
Wiredo

Post by Wiredo »

Il check Irq, it’s 64 bit, 64 gig of ram, Windows 7
Latest Cubase , xite on irq 16 along with video card and pci express controller
garyb

Post by garyb »

well, the XITE sharing an irq with the pcie controller should be ok. sharing with video isn't the best. that's a laptop? not much to do about that, if it's a laptop.

64gb of ram??!!
that's enough. ram isn't the issue.

is there something specific that causes the crash? i mean, are you always doing the same thing when it happens or is it completely random?

are you connected to the internet?

what antivirus are you running?

i'm sorry to ask so many questions, but there must be a reason for your problems. it could be something as simple as moving the hdmi cable that causes a problem. it could also be a faulty pc component.

do you always get the same error message? if so, i'd like to see a screen shot of the message. if you don't have a screenshot, the EXACT wording might give a clue.
Wiredo

Post by Wiredo »

It’s a desktop, also it doesn’t happen all the time , I have basic Microsoft security essentials , connected to Internet , il send u a pic when it does crash, just freezes, or Cubase gives an error/ abort and says it has to shutdown , then after restarting Cubase , it can’t find ‘ asioscope’. ...
garyb

Post by garyb »

as i said-
after a crash, it is normal to have to close and reopen Scope first. when Cubase crashes, it never releases the ASIO driver and Windows assumes that the driver is still being used. restarting Scope closes the ASIO driver and opens a new instance that the sequencer can use again.
Wiredo

Post by Wiredo »

Right, got it, lol....,
fraz

Post by fraz »

Wiredo wrote:Newbie laptop hopeful here , get a Mac , run Windows to run xite ..., Is it best to get a huge external hardrive to run vsts?,

And is Mac all that?, I mean , yes my pc home computer with Scope gets hung up sometimes with 15 vsts, but lots of Ram there , Macs have little, but boast less scattered manufacturer parts so apparently seems to run well.,

Or just save the bucks and get a laptop pc?,

Run gig performer, or cantabile if Scope supports it

Foresee any glitches ?
Hello,

Just an idea to consider - It is possible to buy a pre-built computer - with NO operating system - This is just an example

http://www.zoostorm.com/home-products/z ... ktop-pc-7/ - They are not overly expensive for a new system - Reasonably hassle free - but low spec on some parts such as PSU / case / small amount of RAM.

Or you can build one yourself or an all in one PC but these can be pricey -Build yourself will give the best enjoyment and then you can shop round (hassle) to get the parts you need