Latest (2017) Intel NUC is cool!

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

jksuperstar

Latest (2017) Intel NUC is cool!

Post by jksuperstar »

Literally, 4 core at 45W!

with Thunderbolt means it just might work with XITE, and provide a small (<1U rack!).

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en ... tions.html

fraz

Re: Latest (2017) Intel NUC is cool!

Post by fraz »

Hi,

It sure does look cool - It seems to have a 6770 HQ @ 2.6 Ghz - Bear in mind the i7 6770K was @ 4 Ghz so it has been down clocked probably to help to keep the temperature down as it is a very small box and the CPU has no way to get good cooling to it.

That may not be the end of the trouble as Xite-1 needs a PCI-e card in a PCI-e slot to plug the Xite into.

How much do these sell for anyway?

I suppose it's like Apple Mac mini - Xite btw is not thunderbolt compatible (unless I'm wrong) :)

EDIT
Here is the benchmark for the CPU
https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cp ... 40+2.60GHz

It's not bad at all - 6700K scores around 11,000

I would imagine this would be better used with UAD interfaces that are thunderbolt 3 straight out of the box - This would work with that for example.

Are you looking to buy a computer? - build one yourself or pre-built - or just here to have a natter about things

Oh i just looked at the thread starter - it's jksuperstar - who knows more than me - :lol: - How can this work with Xite? -

It's an HDMI cable (isn't it?) that goes from Xite PCI-e card > Xite interface?
jksuperstar

Re: Latest (2017) Intel NUC is cool!

Post by jksuperstar »

A few people have used MAC Mini's, with a Thunderbolt -> PCIe converter, to host an xite-1. But there's also M.2 ports, which you can find M.2 to Express card converters for, to do something similar.

It's certainly not a plug & play operation, but nice to see desktop power in a tiny form factor.