Heatwave -> Xite-1 problems

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

DragonSF

Heatwave -> Xite-1 problems

Post by DragonSF »

At the moment, we have a strong heatwave here at my place (around 35 C every day). My Pc was dying every 20min ( located in a A/C room). So I decided to buy a new cooler, which helped a lot. The temperatures at the CPU are around 30 C and also system/graphic have very little heat). But one problem remains: the XITE-1 have various problems: computer freezes, when Scope starts, or after some time giving error messages like SDRAM errors, PCI connection lost, copyright protection failure etc. Also: hardware version 3.0 detected, wrong software version.
Any ideas, how to resolve this?
jksuperstar

Re: Heatwave -> Xite-1 problems

Post by jksuperstar »

35C (95F) isn't excessively hot for electronics. What's the humidity? That might be more difficult to manage, and also more problematic.

If humidity has been high together with heat, try putting the XITE in a dry place for a day, maybe in a box with a 500ml of dried rice to absorb humidity or condensation that is causing the problems.

Of course, keep the rice OUT of the XITE.

Don't worry about any permanent damage yet. Electronics are pretty tough these days.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

The humidity is at 46-50% (air conditioned). And the unit's failure occur mostly in the morning. After 3pm the condition is quite good.
Maybe there is a problem in the airflow. The rack is quite packed and only above the Xite there is a vent grid.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

DragonSF wrote:The humidity is at 46-50% (air conditioned). And the unit's failure occur mostly in the morning. After 3pm the condition is quite good.
Maybe there is a problem in the airflow. The rack is quite packed and only above the Xite there is a vent grid.
Reading your 1st post here ...
Is the XITE´s PCIe card sitting correctly in your computer´s PCIe slot ?
Is the HDMI cable perfectly connected to ythe XITE and the PCIe card ?

I got all that warning messages too and it was the card´s and/or HDMI cable´s connection.

I always operated XITE-1 in a rack and took care having 1HU spacers/vent-grids above AND below the XITE-1.
Half-rack units mounted below XITE-1 leave enough space too,- my Nuendo Timelock Pro synchronizer does since it´s smaller than half-rack behind it´s full width 19" frontpanel !
Never had any temperature related issues then.
Depending on your location you might think about active ventilation of your rack too.
Adds some noise though ...

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

Beneath the Xite sits an Ultrapatch, should be good for heat absorbing. Yes, I checked the PCIe card and the cable, no problem there. The mean thing is, Xite will work for some time (1hour or so), and then the erros happen. I was thinking about active cooling.
garyb

Post by garyb »

pci express power save?

power settings/change plan settings/advanced settings/PCI Express/Link State Power Management/disabled...
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:pci express power save?

power settings/change plan settings/advanced settings/PCI Express/Link State Power Management/disabled...
Thanks, I'll try that (was set to moderate). No avail: still getting:
hwvers.jpg
hwvers.jpg (15.31 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
and
noscope1.jpg
noscope1.jpg (13.74 KiB) Viewed 5341 times
These are the same errors, as if the Xite was switched off.
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, that's what those messages are. the HDMI cable is always the first suspect.

the reason i suggested the power setting, is because it seems to happen after a set period of time. that might indicate a power setting.
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

garyb wrote:yes, that's what those messages are. the HDMI cable is always the first suspect.

the reason i suggested the power setting, is because it seems to happen after a set period of time. that might indicate a power setting.
The next thing I'll try, is reset the PCIe card into a different slot. I also will exchange cable.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

if all of that doesn't work then I might recommend trying a new power supply. A generic replacement with the same specs is not expensive. Can't remember what the symptoms were for mine as it was a few years ago but it cleared up my problems quickly.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Yes try a new power supply. One of the best ideas! I agree with you
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
Marco

Post by Marco »

Clean the gold contacts with a rubber!
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

After inserting the PCIe card into a different slot, Scope is working again (okagesama=thank's god). Now my spyder utility (monitor color correction) doesn't work anymore, so I guess, there was a conflict there.