XITE-1 both mic inputs and phones output not working

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

t_tangent

XITE-1 both mic inputs and phones output not working

Post by t_tangent »

Hi all, I tried searching through the forum but didnt find any relatad post, so hoping someone has an idea what I can try.

I was using my XITE-1 for the first time in several weeks. I had the six string playing via midi in, and output via ADAT was working fine so was able to hear the six string from my monitors.

A friend then came over for a bit and wanted to record herself singing, so I set up my mic and connected it to XITE-1 mic input 1, adjusted the preamp pot, and.......nothing. No green signal led, or red clipping if I turned it up a bit too much. I connected the mic input module to a mixer but no signal showing on the mixer. I then tried connecting to a channel strip module to try and boost the signal in case, but also nothing. I then tried the same thing on mic input 2 and still no input.

So I tried another mic, a plain and simple Sure SM-58, but again nothing. So I tried another mic 2 cables, one with an XLR connection into the XITE-1 mic input, and then a normal mono jack, just to make sure it wasnt the mics, connectors or cables. Still not working.

I also had my headphones ready to use to monitor the singing, and thought I would try those out at least, but again, I noticed no signal going to those. Even when I connected the Six string output directly to the phones dest module, no signal. I also made sure the phones output volume pot was turned up. No signal.

Finally, I tried loading a new project and doing the same tests again. That didnt work so I removed all modules, and then only added the bare essential modules, such as Midi Source, mic input, Phones output and saving that then reloaded it. But no use.

The last time I used the XITE-1 for recording vocals was a few weeks back and it was working fine then, so not quite sure what has suddenly happened to it. But I think it looks like some component related to the analog inputs and outputs has blown or died. I need to check the Analog XLR outputs on rear of the XITE-1, but I know the MIDI and ADAT In and Outs are working as I can hear synths play and can control them via MIDI.

So if anyone has any clues as to what I can try next, or what might be causing this, I would appreciate any feedback. Other than that I guess I will have to ship it back to Sonic-Core for repairs. Disappointing, but thats the way things go sometimes.
dawman

Re: XITE-1 both mic inputs and phones output not working

Post by dawman »

I would load up an example project, then delete everything leaving a blank window.
Load sample rate module and click on and off the SLAVE/master options to reload DSPs.

Save as start up and reload.

Add Mic Source Module.

Load headphone module.

See what happens then.

Ive been running Solaris into the mic pres for a year now.
I really liked the warmth they add but using Mono TS.
XLRs are way too hot.

Mame sure source and desination modules are correct.
Not saying you dontvknow this, but it would explain lack of signal.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi Jimmy,

I will certainly try what you suggest. I did try to remove all modules and then add them back one by one such as mic source, phones Dest, etc. but I will try again, and also will try the samplerate changes.

Yes I am sure I didn't get the modules mixed up, which is a shame as that would have been easy to fix. But I will double check that.

Yes the mic pres have a good sound (when working). I usually have them hooked up to an SM7 mic usually and that is nice on vocals and guitar for the most part.

I will try more tests later and will keep this thread updated with what I find out, but thanks for the post and the suggestions.

Cheers for now
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Not sure how old your unit is but perhaps as a last resort you might want to try replacing your power supply. My Xite is 4yrs old and I just replaced the pwr supply for $12USD and it was back up and running immediately. Now mine completely died on me but I was thinking in your situation it might be a sign of an impending pwr supply issue.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Hi John,

Good point. I did not think about trying a new power supply so will test that out as well. Good to know that seemed to sort yours out, and is definitely worth trying before I send the unit back for repairs. Thanks again and I will let you know if that works.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

So, the problem continues. It seems like every other time I turn on XITE-1 the front panel Mic inputs and Headphone Output stop working.

Power supply is fine, and I have saved a new project and reload that at startup now for testing, sometimes the mic inputs and headphone out works, sometimes they don't.

So I uncrewed all relevant screws and carefully took off the top panel and checked inside the box to make sure no loose connections. Disconnected and reconnected the ribbon cable from front panel PCB and did same to the 3 white connecters either side of that area, to make sure they are seated properly.

Tried turning on again and the front panel I/O worked. So I put top back on and front panel I/O stopped working. Tried this a couple of times, but sometimes it doesnt work even when I removed the top panel and sometimes it does. It is very intermittent, so to me it looks like either a cold solder joint somewhere, or a component is playing silly buggers. Only other thing could be a dry joint on the HDMI connection, possibly?

Any other suggestions will be more than welcome, but at this stage I think I might have to send back to SC for repairs and to see if they can find out where this bleedin intermittent fauilt is.
Attachments
XITE-1 Left Side PCB showing Front Panel PCB .jpg
XITE-1 Left Side PCB showing Front Panel PCB .jpg (498.96 KiB) Viewed 5181 times
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Ok, been at this for a few more hours now. The front panel I/O's seem to prefer to work when I remove the top of the unit. Not always but most of the time. But when I put the top panel back on again and restart, the front panel I/O nearly always stop working. Sometimes a tap will get it working but mostly no good.

So after several times taking the top off and putting it back on and restarting, I finally got the top panel back on and the front panel I/O working. Only then did I try and screw the unit back together and everything was working fine. All screws back in, and the XITE-1 working fine. So did a shutdown and turn off then a few mins later a restart, but once again the front panel I/O's are no longer working. I am sure if I restart a few times eventually they will start. But this is crazy. Does anyone have any idea what this could be, such as a dry solder joint or something like that. Or perhaps a bad cap somewhere that doesnt seem to charge on starting up. I think I need to return this for repair otherwise.

Cheers
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

I had similar problems with my old VCR: when the unit was cold, it worked. When it was heated up, with top on: stopped working. When I removed the top, the unit was getting cooler and it worked. Reason: there was a very fine hairline crack on one of the PCBs. With heat, PCB expanded and the crack wouldn't conduct anymore. When is was cold, it contracted and somehow the contact was back again. Maybe that's also your case.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

I think I remember a few years back an issue that seemed software related...I couldn't get analog inputs or headphones working. A reboot, and reloading a fresh project worked. I think I had a corrupt project. I haven't seen it since.

One other thing you can try is a reset. You can do this by going into the Settings, and re-selecting your sample rate. You should hear sound stop for a brief moment before starting up again. This also works to get some sequencers going like in the SB404 and modular.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Thanks for the suggestions guys

jksuperstar, I tried resetting the resample rate but no good, also tried changing to different sample rates and also slave to master and back, but no difference. Front panel Mic Inputs and phones Output are not working at all.
I also tried your suggestion of creating a completely new project, and set one up using just the Mic-DI Source module, micromixer, and phones dest module. I did a shutdown on DAW turned XITE-1 off and on again, resteated the HDMI, unplugged and plugged in power supply again and rebooted DAW, but still no good. Nothing seems to be making any difference, other than when I remove the top plate off the XITE-1.

DragonSF, yes I am beginning to think it can only be a cold solder joint as you too suggest. Thinking about the fact that the front panel works nearly always when I remove the top panel off the unit but as soon as I put it back on the front panel I/O may or may not work, one thing I have noticed is when the top panel is on, if I look from the bottom of the XITE-1, the top panel seems to push the front plate of the XITE-1 slightly on each side, which creates a very slight bend in the front panel. I am beginning to think this could be affecting a contact somethwhere on the front panel, and looks llike a slight fault in the manufacturing process of the panels.
View from Bottom of XITE-1 showing Front Panel pushed out at Mics & Phones side.jpg
View from Bottom of XITE-1 showing Front Panel pushed out at Mics & Phones side.jpg (174.14 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
View from Bottom of XITE-1 showing Front Panel pushed out at Power Switch side.jpg
View from Bottom of XITE-1 showing Front Panel pushed out at Power Switch side.jpg (163.94 KiB) Viewed 5120 times
As you can see from the photos, the front panel is being pushed out at each side by the top panel of the XITE which folds over the sides and back of the unit when in place, so I think this may be part of the problem, and perhaps the only thing I can do now is to contact support and see if I can get the unit returned for repairs. A real pain, but I guess there is little else I can do at this point. However I am open to any other suggestions.

Cheers guys
DragonSF

Post by DragonSF »

It's either a mechanical problem (PCB/compenend getting stressed) or a temperature problem (PCB expands, when getting too hot). Both problems are difficult to fix, if a solder joint or a PCB track is involved.
t_tangent

Post by t_tangent »

Yes, I think it has to be a dry solder joint somewhere, either on front panel PCB or the connectors to main PCB. My theory is that when I take the top panel off this allows a tiny loose solder to spring back into contact with the component or trace, but when I put the top panel on again, it is causing a hairline solder crack to sometimes move out of contact. This happens or doesn't happen on startup, it's quite random, so not a cold or heating up issue exactly, but related to a contact issue somewhere. I will investigate a little more when I have time and if I can't sort it myself I will send to SC for repairs. But thanks for the help and cheers for now :)