Windows audio through XITE/Scope

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

Windows audio through XITE/Scope

Post by krizrox »

Seems like this should be a no-brainer but I'm vexed.

I wanted to route Windows audio (mainly internet audio through my browser) directly through XITE/Scope. In effect, XITE is now my soundblaster lol

Problem is I'm getting nothing. It appears as though Windows recognizes XITE as the default sound system but I've tried loading all the various WAVE source modules in Scope and am seeing/hearing nothing. I'm sure it's a mouse click somewhere or OS config problem perhaps. I disabled the on-board soundcard in BIOS.

Any suggestions?

PS - using Win 10 Home 64.
jksuperstar

Re: Windows audio through XITE/Scope

Post by jksuperstar »

I added a second XITE WAVE source device to my projects, and that's the one that seems to have sound from the system.

I think the system sets up 2 wave ports to the XITE by default, but the project only has one. I never bothered to look into changing windows configs/registry to use the first WAVE source (or reduce it to only 1 instead of 2 that the system sees by default), but I'd guess that it is possible.
garyb

Post by garyb »

click on speaker icon near the clock and choose playback devices. one of the SonicCore XITE-1 "speakers" is the proper choice.

but first, you have to restart two services. with Scope open, right click on Computer" and choose "manage". click on "services". find "Windows Audio". right click and choose "restart". go to "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" and again right click and choose "restart". audio should work.

welcome to Windows 10.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

jksuperstar wrote:I added a second XITE WAVE source device to my projects, and that's the one that seems to have sound from the system.

I think the system sets up 2 wave ports to the XITE by default, but the project only has one. I never bothered to look into changing windows configs/registry to use the first WAVE source (or reduce it to only 1 instead of 2 that the system sees by default), but I'd guess that it is possible.

thanks for the suggestion - tried that still getting nothing. I see two instance of XITE in the control panel/sound/playback window (labeled "speakers"). There are also two instances of the SPDIF interface.

ahhh just saw Gary's response let me try that back in a sec
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

garyb wrote:click on speaker icon near the clock and choose playback devices. one of the SonicCore XITE-1 "speakers" is the proper choice.

but first, you have to restart two services. with Scope open, right click on Computer" and choose "manage". click on "services". find "Windows Audio". right click and choose "restart". go to "Windows Audio Endpoint Builder" and again right click and choose "restart". audio should work.

welcome to Windows 10.
Thanks Gary - tried all that still seeing no audio activity through XITE/Scope. I have the simple Wave Source module loaded in Scope feeding into a dynamic mixer (mainly just to see activity). So far nothing. Tried the Wave 24 bit source module too. There's a YouTube video playing. Should hear something
garyb

Post by garyb »

you have to have the correct "speaker" selected. the number 2 speaker is probably the correct one. there isn't anything else.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

garyb wrote:you have to have the correct "speaker" selected. the number 2 speaker is probably the correct one. there isn't anything else.

Ahh - working now! Thanks Gary!

so the solution was to make the second instance of "speakers" the default device. I had to reboot the computer to make it work. Only one Wave source driver loaded in Scope. I assume this configuration will "stick" so that I can use it as a default going forward. I can hear the improvement in sound quality already. Very nice.

Cheers!
dawman

Post by dawman »

Damn.
Ive been including a 24bit Wave Source module giving it a stereo mixer channel for years.
Now I can do it the right way.

On 2nd thought I might miss the reverb settings I add to liven things up.

SSB Modulator really mangles things up by speeding things up and altering pitch....

Nope.

The new way will be a fresh approach.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

dawman wrote:Damn.
Ive been including a 24bit Wave Source module giving it a stereo mixer channel for years.
Now I can do it the right way.

On 2nd thought I might miss the reverb settings I add to liven things up.

SSB Modulator really mangles things up by speeding things up and altering pitch....

Nope.

The new way will be a fresh approach.

Right! Exactly! I was doing the same thing.