Xite-1 ADAT / Z-LINK

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Xite-1 ADAT / Z-LINK

Post by fraz »

Hi,

I'm working out some connections in my mind-but I'm not in front of Xite-1 just yet -

Having a Sonic Core A16 Ultra mk 1 connected via Z-link to Xite-1 there are 16 I/O's - On A16 Ultra a selection is made to choose the mode that will be used eg - ADAT or Z-link and then a reflection of this is shown in Scope project.

Question is - Is it possible to use the ADAT I/O with A16 connected to Xite-1 via Z-link?
What I'm mulling over is sending 8 I/O from another machine into ADAT optical but if its connected via Z-link [hardware connection]-and the option on A16 has to be Z-link- will it be possible to use the ADAT I/O?

There is another ADAT, A16 Ultra mk II connected via ADAT-
fraz

Re: Xite-1 ADAT / Z-LINK

Post by fraz »

I figure it won't work
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

If you are asking if the XITE can use both ADAT and Z-Link at the same time, YES. It can. This provides for 16 I/O channels for each interface, a total of 32 inputs and 32 outputs.

The XITE can simultaneously have:
38 INPUTS:
2 - Analog In
2 - Preamp In
2 - AES/EBU In
8 - ADAT A In
8 - ADAT B In
8 - ZLink A In
8 - ZLink B In

38 OUTPUTS:
2 - Analog Out
2 - Headphone Out
2 - AES/EBU Out
8 - ADAT A Out
8 - ADAT B Out
8 - ZLink A Out
8 - ZLink B Out

I have an A16 Ultra connected via Z-Link, and also a Behringer ADA8000 via ADAT + Wordclock. At the same time, I have used the second ADAT to connect another computer via a MOTU interface. I believe the XITE must be Master for all of this to work with a wordclock -- When Z-Link does not allow use of wordclock to the A16ultra, but the wordclock can still be used for ADAT. If the A16u was master, I'm not sure if the XITE could generate wordclock while being slave to the A16ultra.
petal

Post by petal »

I think the question is:

Can you use the "ADAT I/O in" on the Ultra, if the Ultra is connected to the XITE with Z-Link?
Xite Knight v2.0

Post by Xite Knight v2.0 »

Nope
fraz

Post by fraz »

GaryB commented on another thread that it is not possible to use both ADAT and Z-Link at the same time -
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Fraz, are you asking about using both on the XITE, or on the a16?

If the A16, Where would you want the ADAT channels to go...down Z-link to the XITE anyways? If so, then just connect straight to XITE.
fraz

Post by fraz »

jksuperstar wrote:Fraz, are you asking about using both on the XITE, or on the a16?

If the A16, Where would you want the ADAT channels to go...down Z-link to the XITE anyways? If so, then just connect straight to XITE.
Yes I mis-understood this - One of the A16's needed to have Z-Link activated to use 16 I/O over Z-Link - I've only got 1 x A16 that used Z-Link -

The other ADAT I/O boxes are Ferrofish and are ADAT only so this is where the other 16 I/O comes from which = 32 I/O

I got confused by forgetting that one A16 was connected via Z-Link - It would have been handy to label this with a Z sticker or something to differentiate it from the other A16 - When gear is connected it's easy to get confused.

Sometimes thinking about things afterwards helps to clear up where the thinking became muddled - :)
dawman

Post by dawman »

I've used 2 x Z-Links and both ADATs before without any troubles @ 44.1k.
If you need 32 I/O all the time I'd advise getting a Wordclock Generator.
A really good one will allow the the ADA8200s to go in each unit using parts of ADAT and parts of analog.
Otherwise they operate as ADAT In/Analog Out or Analog in ADAT out.
Mix and match from word clock is really useful in having FX units on 2 channel instead of 8 being wasted.

Here's my Z-Link B Source and Dest for 8 channels at the moment.
I can add another Z-Link from an ADA8200 or the Midas M32.
Right now just adding balls to these 1s and 0s is working out well.

Taking ASIO signals out of Scope Project Window, adding Tube Grit, then send them back sounding better.
Always liked that overdriven Electric Piano Sound, etc.
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG (156.17 KiB) Viewed 5481 times
IMG_1179.JPG
IMG_1179.JPG (203.53 KiB) Viewed 5481 times