Old Scope PCI devices

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

Old Scope PCI devices

Post by krizrox »

Ok... so now that I have a little more distance with Xite, I'm wondering about all the older Scope PCI devices that I had bought from Creamware (and various other 3rd-party devs).

I was looking through my directory of all these older devices wondering if they will even work. For example, I purchased the entire Dynatube bundle for Scope PCI. Can I simply install it or is there more to it than that? A lot of old Celmo devices I purchased. I have Bowen's Pro One synth. A bunch of other synths (which I don't think I used much) I think there are a lot of freebee things there too. Was just curious.
JoPo

Re: Old Scope PCI devices

Post by JoPo »

For me, everything works not better, not bader than with Scope PCI : I use both in same pc. All old devices are compatible with Xite-1.
There is only one old free vumeter with which (don't remember which one, I surely deleted it) you can't reload your project. After deleting the .dev and reloading the Scope file, I had the "where is the device" message appearing then it loaded completly without the vumeter.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Celmo devices work just fine here. Celmo's stuff seems like they were made for XITE-1. John Bowen's stuff works in a limited way, but can still work for you depending on your needs. All of my 3rd party devices work just fine either in a limited way or completely on XITE-1 without nothing special being done apart from occasional manual dsp-placement for large devices. BUT this is at 44khz, at 96khz the problems of the 'limited-use' devices often become worse making some unusable, and more manual dsp-placement has to be done at 96khz Project samplerate. Even some of the stock devices are unusable at 96khz samplerate but SCOPE is such a big platform with countless devices I usually find a good alternative. BUT on a positive note XITE-1 still allows me to run projects at 96khz and the older PCI did not, some devices I have did not run at 96khz on older PCI cards but do so on XITE-1, possibly because XITE-1 just has more power and larger DSPs.

Some devices may cause you to adjust your workflow but generally 3rd party are fine, atleast that is my experience. Trouble can come also just by taxing XITE-1 way too hard with too big of a load, but it's powerfull enough that most should be fine staying within more moderate use.

EDITED
Last edited by Sounddesigner on Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

krizrox wrote:Ok... so now that I have a little more distance with Xite, I'm wondering about all the older Scope PCI devices that I had bought from Creamware (and various other 3rd-party devs).

I was looking through my directory of all these older devices wondering if they will even work. For example, I purchased the entire Dynatube bundle for Scope PCI. Can I simply install it or is there more to it than that? A lot of old Celmo devices I purchased. I have Bowen's Pro One synth. A bunch of other synths (which I don't think I used much) I think there are a lot of freebee things there too. Was just curious.
Zarg Pro One v3.0 runs fine on Xite-1 as does ProWave v1.2.1,- but I have experience w/ 32Bit Windows XP only.
You´ll need v5 keys for all your older devices, then install as usual.
I got some keys transfered over to XITE-1/SCOPE 5.1 for some devices I formerly used on PCI card w/ SCOPE 4 and 4.5 and all worked great except the very big ZARG synths.
Lots of old freebies, incl. some Celmo and from other developers, also work for me on XITE-1.
IIRC, Dante is using Dynatube amps on XITE-1D p.ex..

I understood when paying a key transfer fee and make a list of all devices you want to get transfered from PCI card to XITE-1,- once you got these keys, you can use these devices on both systems, XITE-1 and PCI card(s) simultaneously.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Bud Weiser wrote:I understood when paying a key transfer fee and make a list of all devices you want to get transfered from PCI card to XITE-1,- once you got these keys, you can use these devices on both systems, XITE-1 and PCI card(s) simultaneously.
:-? What ?? After the transfered keys of my pci -> Xite-1, they were not anymore usable on pci ! Unfortunately, indeed ! How did you do that ? :-?
garyb

Post by garyb »

the old keys should still work for the PCI cards. beware of devices loading from the wrong folder. PCI devices won't work loaded from the XITE directory and vice-versa. projects saved in one system and opened in another can make this happen...
dante

Post by dante »

If you buy a Scope device, you are buying it for either XITE or for PCI.

If you want to run it on both, you buy it twice.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

garyb wrote:the old keys should still work for the PCI cards.
:-? If I remember well, when I asked keys for my Xite-1, SC send me a file to run on my computer and this file 'erased' the device keys for my PCI cards. After that, of course I tried (!!) the pci keys didn't work anymore then SC asked me a register file to check if it was erased correctly, after that, I get the new keys for my Xite-1. I would have loved to keep the pci keys !
Maybe, now, they don't erase pci keys anymore but at that time (september 2009), they did. :cry:
dante

Post by dante »

By the book, I would expect a device running on both platforms = 2 keys = 2 purchases. Flexibility at vendor's and SC's discretion only.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote: How did you do that ?
I said: "I understood ..." which doesn´t mean I did that transfer already.

I said "I understood" because of some explanation I got some time ago and because some file transfer was planned once my "new" socket 775 PC build for PCI card is complete.
Maybe I understood something wrong,- who knows (???) ...

I have a different scenario anyway,- PCI card and XITE-1 are connected to different machines and up to now I run SCOPE 4.5 on one and SCOPE 5.1 on the other,- but I also buyed SCOPE 5.1 twice to have it for the "next computer build" for PCI card.

And, if my assumption is wrong, I´ll pass the key transfer deal and leave it as it is.

Bud
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

Bud Weiser wrote:I have a different scenario anyway,- PCI card and XITE-1 are connected to different machines and up to now I run SCOPE 4.5 on one and SCOPE 5.1 on the other,- but I also buyed SCOPE 5.1 twice to have it for the "next computer build" for PCI card.
This scenario is fine, possible : you bought several time the same device : one's alone and another time in a bundle, you get 2 keys, you can use the device on pci AND on Xite ; you just have to transfer one pci key to Xite. And Scope 5.1 comes with a lot of good devices already (Optimaster, Vinco, PsyQ, SC reverbs series and so on).
To have PCI & Xite-1 on the same system is so comfortable !
garyb

Post by garyb »

JoPo wrote:
garyb wrote:the old keys should still work for the PCI cards.
:-? If I remember well, when I asked keys for my Xite-1, SC send me a file to run on my computer and this file 'erased' the device keys for my PCI cards. After that, of course I tried (!!) the pci keys didn't work anymore then SC asked me a register file to check if it was erased correctly, after that, I get the new keys for my Xite-1. I would have loved to keep the pci keys !
Maybe, now, they don't erase pci keys anymore but at that time (september 2009), they did. :cry:
yes, but i didn't realize that SC was ever using this program. i know Creamware was. at one time, this was how keys were transferred. the reason that it was stopped is twofold.
1. it's a pain in the behind that takes several days.
2. the older the card gets, the more likely that the process will break the card, since the process involves reprogramming the eprom on the card that is responsible for keys and the card's serial number.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

They didn't bother when I bought my XITE-1 in 2011.
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

JoPo wrote: This scenario is fine, possible :
All speculation.
I had key transfers from PCI card to XITE-1 for a few old ZARG devices & 1 SPL device, usable in SCOPE 5.1 XITE w/ v5 keys.
That´s why I mentioned old devices work on XITE.
In addition I was able running same devices on PCI card w/ their old keys in SCOPE 4.5 environment.

Never ever I have seen any "Sonic Core key eraser" application I was forced to execute on MY machine.

THEN (later !) I buyed these S|C special deals and one of these was a ZARG bundle,- now including the DSP heavy big Zarg synths which don´t run well on XITE-1.
I think about a 2nd key transfer for a few devices,- back to PCI in this case.

Anyway, the thread was about old devices running on XITE or not and not about key transfer strategies.

IMO, since we know not all SCOPE devices run in 64Bit systems and on XITE, it´s a good idea to keep old cards and run some devices in a 32Bit system on PCI.
Should be the interest of S|C too until they get SCOPE 6 ready.

Bud
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Thanks for the responses! I guess I'll just have to play around and see what works and what doesn't. I paid a lot of money back in the early days for 3rd-party devices. I bought a lot of synths and a lot of optional Creamware devices including Optimaster and PsyQ which later were added to the default bundle.

I'll have to make time to comb through my Creamware tool box and see what's all in there worth keeping. The only real thing I can remember worth paying transfer money for was Dynatube. I don't think I used it much but it would be worth hanging on to.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Dynatube works fine in XITE, I had mine transferred over. Actually I find using it on synths is a nice option if you're not using it on guitar/bass. I also have DynaTube Rack which I'm not sure is available on the ftp site. It allows you to use the guitar cabs as well as the bass cabs. I think the SPL stuff and proTone were pretty much all I transferred.
m.my91

Post by m.my91 »

JoPo wrote:For me, everything works not better, not bader than with Scope PCI : I use both in same pc. All old devices are compatible with Xite-1.
There is only one old free vumeter with which (don't remember which one, I surely deleted it) you can't reload your project. After deleting the .dev and reloading the Scope file, I had the "where is the device" message appearing then it loaded completly without the vumeter.
are you shure that the scope pci and the scope xite work exactly the same?
is the plugins had the same latency performence on a pci card and a xite?
perhaps xite and pci card had a different calculation facility?
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

I don't see any difference.
emotive

Post by emotive »

Is it confirmed that once you move your licenses to X-ite, they no longer work with PCI?

If so, that is good news as that means the price of Creamware cards will decrease.
garyb

Post by garyb »

no, the PCI card will keep it's keyfile.