couple new Scope/Xite questions

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

couple new Scope/Xite questions

Post by krizrox »

With every passing day the sound quality of this box blows me away. Seems like I can hear deeper into the music than I was able to before with the old Scope PCI setup. Even the XITE headphone out sounds better than my Mackie headphone feed.

Anyway, couple-a questions

1) I noticed with the STM4896 mixer that when I route channels through a sub bus the solo switches don't work anymore. They work fine on normal channels (not-bussed). Is this by design or a bug? I assume the STM2448 does the same thing although I haven't checked.

2) There is a hardware I/O module labeled phones source. Doesn't seem to do anything. For a moment there I thought maybe that was a hidden DI feature lol.

3) Why are some devices labeled with an X at the end of the device name and some aren't?

4) I managed to break one of those little ADAT doors on the back panel connectors (the little piece of plastic that swings up and down when you're plugging in cables). I guess the door is simply a dust cover. I still have the door although it's so small it's not useful for anything. Are those connectors repairable or replaceable in the field or should I just forget about it?
dante

Re: couple new Scope/Xite questions

Post by dante »

X means the device has been optimised for XITE - so use the X version where it exists.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

if not using them just fit the plugs like on the cards i have had those door types break on me on other gear they are just plastic lugs and are very brittle
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

dante wrote:X means the device has been optimised for XITE - so use the X version where it exists./quote]

jhulk wrote:if not using them just fit the plugs like on the cards i have had those door types break on me on other gear they are just plastic lugs and are very brittle
Dante: I haven't combed through each and every device but there seemed to be way more non-X devices than X devices. We start to bump up into a pandora's box of questions about the state of Scope in regards to Xite. I thought I was bringing up the rear here (lol). Is there something on the horizon in regards to a new Scope application? What does it mean for the other plugs? Problems? Just try it and see? lol

Jhulk: Yeah I figured that out. I didnt know you could insert a dummy plug in there. I'll try that just to keep dust out. The problem I saw was that once the door breaks, it was harder to get the cable end in there. The door (in the up position) seems to act like a clip to keep the plug in there. No door, no clip. So repair is out of the question I take it. I'm pretty handy with a solder sucker and an soldering iron lol but if these are SMD parts then forget it.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

The new sharcs run the same old code. But some devices operate better with specific optimizations (hence the X). These are typically large devices that need to be split across DSPs in a specific way (like the STM mixers), but that's not a hard rule.
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

smd parts are easier but your device is under warranty and if you mess with any component then the warranty is void

cables have a little lump of plastic that needs a very little force this lump fits into an indentation in the socket that holds them in place same for the plugs
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

i also found out why the newer sharcs find it hard with old devices

theres a pdf which tells you the transition from old to later dsps and there limitations for the newer dsps as ports where dropped for speed

but these ports on the older dsp actually speeded things up in that the newer dsp had to pass the ports twice compared to the old dsp which had a dual port for the same process
dante

Post by dante »

Krizrox wrote:Dante: I haven't combed through each and every device but there seemed to be way more non-X devices than X devices. We start to bump up into a pandora's box of questions about the state of Scope in regards to Xite. I thought I was bringing up the rear here (lol). Is there something on the horizon in regards to a new Scope application? What does it mean for the other plugs? Problems? Just try it and see? lol
The other plugs probably run ok without DSP placement consideration due them being small.

Apart from that, the only other implication is that all Scope devices run on the new Sharc with clock gain only.

Not a Pandora's box, just a limitation on R&D and maintaining backwards compatibility.

Could be the effort involved in rebuilding Scope SDK atoms on new instruction set would be massive / prohibitive / something e.g. only UAD could have afforded.

Having said that, I can max out the XITE-1D and do anything else I need in Native or Scope PCI so I can't imagine if I owned full XITE-1 that I would run out of power doing anything useful musically.

You're better off making music than worrying about it as with XITE you have the best.
JoPo

Post by JoPo »

For STM busses, if you switch solo the bus, you have to 'defeat' the channels which are routed into it --> when you 'solo' a bus, it mutes all other channels and vice-versa.

If you switch solo the channels which are routed into the bus, you have to switch 'defeat' on the bus.

Direct channels outputs are full of bug.
> > > > > > > > > > > > --- Musica --> here ! ---< < < < < < < < < < < <
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Thanks for the replies guys. There was another reason why I asked about the "X" designator on some devices. I seemed to be having issues with XITE/Scope opening projects with some devices. These were brand new projects with XITE-only devices (nothing from the old PCI Scope). I was never really able to fully confirm what was causing the problem but one thing seemed to be at the heart of the problem and that was a device like an effects rack (I can't remember the exact name of the device off-hand). It was like a small effects rack where you could load in 4 or 5 or 6 devices inside a rack and it has a single pair of stereo inputs and outputs. It was really just supposed to be a cleaner, simpler way to load devices in the project (I guess). I haven't had any problems since I stopped using that little "utility".

jhulk: where is this PDF file you mention? It might have escaped me but all I saw was the old SCOPE user manual PDF (which laughingly still includes references to the old Pulsar devices lol). This product is in serious need of some attention when it comes to user docs.
dante

Post by dante »

I use the DAS effects rack which works fine on XITE.

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_03/das.htm

In fact it was built on XITE to take advantage of DSP placement.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

dante wrote:I use the DAS effects rack which works fine on XITE.

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_03/das.htm

In fact it was built on XITE to take advantage of DSP placement.
Is there a download link for the DAS Inserts plugin? I did not see one on your website and on DAS's website there is a "ERROR 404" page for all their freebies downloads.