Trying to install Xite/Scope on new PC

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

krizrox

Trying to install Xite/Scope on new PC

Post by krizrox »

Ok so everything was going well until I tried to install the Xite/Scope software. At the window where it says Found "Sonic Core XITE-1" it immediately returns an error message

ERROR InstallDriver returned -2

Any ideas? Seems to have found the card but can't finish installing the drivers/software.

Here's the new system specs:

MSI Z97 Gaming 3 motherboard
Windows 8.1 Pro
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Intel i5 LGA1150 processor
Crucial SSD drive
pair of Seagate HD's
Corsair RM650 power supply
EVGA GeForce GT520 video card
dante

Re: Trying to install Xite/Scope on new PC

Post by dante »

Disable driver signing

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_20/w8_mast.htm

Check GaryB hint tab.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Wow thanks Dante! Seems to have worked. You guys are like friggin Gandalf of Scope lol

Should I disable that command after I'm done loading Scope?
dante

Post by dante »

Dunno - I haven't bothered but probably should there is probably a reason it exists .

Tell me - what 3rd party EQ do u run ?
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Do you mean for Scope? I don't have any 3rd party EQ's. What do you recommend?
dante

Post by dante »

DAS C350L, dNa Stereo Equaliser, SC-EQ
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I'll take a look at those 3rd-party devices when I have time. Right now I'm a little more concerned with just getting Xite running. Some of the problems I was having with Xite seem to have followed me over onto the new PC. Still trying to wrangle all that out.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I might have stumbled upon a good resource for audio tweaks. I actually followed along and did the same things as in this video and I haven't gotten any pops or clicks during playback (I am going to reserve judgment though until I run a lot more projects). I think I mainly wanted to share the link. I'm sure many of you already know about these things. Any little tidbit of info for me at this point is a good thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PhQVkv3NM3k
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

A lot has happened in the past 72 hours. I thought I would share.

I built a new recording PC. I was experiencing too many problems with the Xite installation and driving Gary B and Holger crazy in the process. All the annoyances that seemed to be related to Xite were, in fact, system troubles and incompatibilities. I was running an older model Intel mobo with a Core2Duo processor that wasn't 100% compatible with the newer 64-bit operating systems. Win 7 64 seemed to work ok (and in fact, was working fine with the older Scope PCI cards I was using prior to Xite). But Xite didn't seem to like any of it lol.

There were two main Scope/Xite problems under the old system: random pops/clicks and some nonsense with what appeared to be corrupted Scope Xite project files. It seemed at first those problems had followed me over to the new install as well. I was really beginning to suspect something wrong with Xite. But after digging into it a bit more, I found some additional HDD issues (I was using some older HDD's from the original system but those have been replaced too and are now operating properly).

I haven't had a chance to run Xite long enough to 100% confirm everything but so far I haven't had a single problem with anything. The new system, & Xite, seem to be working perfectly. I could comment on some old legacy Scope software issues but I'm not going to bring it up. Whatever quirks remain (or were introduced in the Xite/Scope 5.1 program) aren't deal breakers for me at all. I believe Xite sounds better than the Scope PCI version. It might be that new car smell, but the sound quality seems a little more 3 dimensional to me. These types of things tend to take time to settle in but I'm very pleased with this upgrade so far.
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's great!

yes, the XITEs sound much better than the cards did.
Sounddesigner

Post by Sounddesigner »

Glad to hear you finally got it all worked out! Finding the culprit/s can be tricky sometimes when dealing with computer related dysfunctionality. When it's gear that costs a lot of money that's not playing nice with each other it can be a nightmare from my experience.

The XITE-1 is a lot better than the old pci cards (wich are still good gear themselves, even after 17+ years), and XITE-1 is better in many ways (better sounding converters, added really nice Mic Pre's for more all-in-one-solution, nice headphone jack, a lot more dsp power, converters are outside the computer with XITE-1, more portable than the old pci cards, more future-proof cause it uses pcie, dual protocol support with both expresscard and pcie so both laptops and desktops can be used, etc). The old pci cards do have a couple advantages themselves over XITE-1 but those couple may only be temporary.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

There were a couple of oddities worth mentioning related to the build. When I was installing the motherboard into the case, I noticed that there was a smallish bump in the board near the back PCI slots. It seemed weird and I should have stopped right there and removed the board and checked underneath to make sure there wasn't something lodged under there. But in my haste I went ahead with the build. Got everything together. Turned it on, Loaded the OS... but a short while later that bump in the board got the better of me and I turned everything off and disassembled everything and removed the mobo. I was glad I did that for two reasons.

1) The old motherboard had ten screws holding it down. The new one only uses 9 screws. Back by the PCI holes in the case, where the 10th screw would have been, there was a metal standoff that was pushing up on the bottom of the new motherboard. It was easy to remove the standoff (it just unscrews from the case bottom). That fixed that problem. Lucky I didn't damage something in the process. Just because a motherboard says ATX compatible doesn't necessarily mean all the holes are in the same places. Be sure to check before you start screwing the motherboard down.

2) As I was holding the motherboard in my hands looking at the bottom for damage, I noticed some double-lead, through-hole soldered components where the two leads were bent and touching each other (i.e. shorted together). It seemed to me that MSI didn't cut the extra lead length properly after soldering and I might have accidentally pressed them together during handling, or they got that way from the factory. I saw a number of them like that. I simply moved the leads apart so they weren't touching. I don't know for sure, but it's possible this could have affected long-term reliability of the mobo. I would suggest, if you get a new mobo, to eyeball the top and bottom of the board and just look for anything that doesn't look quite right. Manufacturing defects can happen to anyone. Solder splashes are common. Leads pushed together and touching. Or even solder joints with no solder.