XITE-1 crackles with ADAT loopback test

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

wouterz

XITE-1 crackles with ADAT loopback test

Post by wouterz »

When I connect the ADAT outputs to the inputs of my XITE-1 and then load this project (see image) I get crackles on all inputs. It gets worse at 48 kHz. It does not matter if the XITE-1 is master or slave. Tried it with different cables. When I connect the ADAT outputs to a converter I hear no crackles, when I connect an external signal to the ADAT inputs I also hear no crackles, so this would rule out dust problems. But when I want to use an external device that is connected between the inputs and outputs of the ADAT ports (like an insert effect) I do hear crackles. This is a new XITE-1 and I'm using the ADAT ports he first time. Please help :(
Attachments
ADAT Loopback Test.PNG
ADAT Loopback Test.PNG (237.22 KiB) Viewed 4341 times
Mr Arkadin

Re: XITE-1 crackles with ADAT loopback test

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Well I'm no expert but the two things that jump out at me are that the System window says 48kHz and your project is set to 44.1kHz.

The other thing is that you've got BNC selected as your sync source. Do you have BNC word clock connected? If not try selecting one of the ADAT ports.
guppy

Post by guppy »

If you got your converters in a rack, look if they're not too hot, mine were loosing sync and signals cause of heat.
garyb

Post by garyb »

are you just connecting ADAT ports to each other, or is there an AD/DA in between?
if there isn't an AD/DA in between, i'm not surprised if it doesn't work.
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Uh, we're entering the realms of niceboy feedback technik. :D
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Try blowing air into the ports. Many of us have had odd ADAT crackle issues, but S|C has always sworn there is no HW or SW issue. Sometimes the air fixes the issue.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

What is feeding your word clock input?
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

garyb wrote:are you just connecting ADAT ports to each other, or is there an AD/DA in between?
if there isn't an AD/DA in between, i'm not surprised if it doesn't work.
There is no AD/DA in between, I thought it was a good way to test the ADAT connections/cables, it turns out it was the exact opposite.
astroman

Post by astroman »

in fact it should work as that's how Adat loopback tests are performed
... as long as you don't connect (mixer) in and out straight together, which would result in feedback galore... :P
but as already mentioned your project is set to a different rate than the clock source
(the BNC delivers a 48k clock signal for sync - but the system is set to 44.1k)
THAT cannot work properly

cheers, Tom
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

When the "Slave" button is selected the selected sample rate (under the master button) is ignored.

I've tried both settings by the way.
astroman

Post by astroman »

I admit I didn't try it myself... but as an overly suspicious person towards tech stuff... ;)
too bad - then it leaves just options...
as it comes back into memory: are your BNC cables 75Ohm ? the more common network stuff is 50

cheers, Tom
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I had a similar problem with my new Xite unit. When I first received it, I hooked up the ADAT cables from my SC A16 and just tried some simple recording. I admit I have little experience with ADAT toslink connections. I've been using Z-Link as my interface standard for many years. And that works perfectly. But I was getting pops and random noises on the ADAT B source module. ADAT A worked fine but the second 8 channels from ADAT B were making all kinds of noise. I didn't pursue this much as I needed to run some sessions and went back to Z-Link which works fine. I expect to be acquiring a new Ferrofish A16 in the not too distant future (which is ADAT only) so I'll take a closer look at this ADAT issue. I used the cables that came with my Xite. They look high quality.