DI/mic and analog input

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

Ditykman

DI/mic and analog input

Post by Ditykman »

Hello all
On the xite, is the di/mic input use the same converter that the back analogue input? (same quality?)
And about that can I put a input line in the mic/di input whit the same quality that the back analog input?
Sorry fot my english and thanks
garyb

Re: DI/mic and analog input

Post by garyb »

yes. it's very high quality, not only the converters which are basically the same as on the back, but also the preamp is very clean.
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Thank you !
And for practical reasons, can I connect a mic preamp (UA, line out xlr) in the front input of the xite (mic preamp)
thanks a lot
garyb

Post by garyb »

yes, you could, but there would probably be some real gain mismatch problems. there's no sense to putting a preamp through a preamp.
Ditykman

Post by Ditykman »

Yes ok I understand
Yhanks
dawman

Post by dawman »

I put a SE-1X Analog synth through mine.
Lots of balls.
Immanuel

Post by Immanuel »

Ditykman wrote:Thank you !
And for practical reasons, can I connect a mic preamp (UA, line out xlr) in the front input of the xite (mic preamp)
thanks a lot
In that case, it would probably be better to use an Xlr -> Jack cable and engage the pad. Still, I would guess it would be even better to skip the external preamp when using the front inputs.
Information for new readers: A forum member named Braincell is known for spreading lies and malicious information without even knowing the basics of, what he is talking about. If noone responds to him, it is because he is ignored.
garyb

Post by garyb »

actually, an XLR to TRS adaptor would be better, plugged into the line in.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Sorry maybe I should ask (figured it would be covered in the user manual but since I haven't actually seen the manual yet just thought I'd ask).

There are two front panel mic inputs. I get it. No explanation needed there (although I'm curious how you set the input gain - is there a gain indicator in Scope?)

but there are also a pair of rear panel XLR I/O's. I assume those are line-level I/O's right? No phantom power there? Could be used for anything with a direct line level output right?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

The front panel preamp has analog controls for Gain, Phantom, Hi-Z and Pad. No indication internally to scope of the preamp gain, it is right there on the front panel knob. I find the preamp cleaner than any other I own, and the Hi-Z input impedance is very well suited for guitar/bass input (VERY low noise and treats transients better than any pedal or amp that I have access to).

The back panel Analog Inputs are XLR (differential) +4dbu line level inputs.

Front and back panels can be used separately and simultaneously.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Needed to use my Lexicon via AES/EBU, so I stopped using the TosLink on Solaris and tried the MicPre's as a L/R input to Scope for Solaris........Screw digital, this sounds great, now the SE-1x Analog synth goes into the analog I/O, Solaris on the dual MicPre's and the Lexicon Reverb connected digitally gives me more headroom to run thick punchy short/decay/gated FX.

There's got to be a sort of soft clip or compression on the MicPre's as they are just so tame, and very creamy if that makes any sense.

Wish I knew the scientific terminology.

Krizrox, you can hear the XITE-1 live in downtown St.Louis tomorrow night if interested.
Not sure where in Illinois you are located, but we do Edwardsville, Champaigne, Carbondale and Chicago in Janurary.

Scope rules the live stages and since nobody has one, they then become victims of superior audio.

Ankyu
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

dawman wrote:
Krizrox, you can hear the XITE-1 live in downtown St.Louis tomorrow night if interested.
Not sure where in Illinois you are located, but we do Edwardsville, Champaigne, Carbondale and Chicago in Janurary.

Scope rules the live stages and since nobody has one, they then become victims of superior audio.

Ankyu
Ahh thanks for the invite Ankyu! I live in Elgin, IL which is about an hour west of Chicago. St Louis would be a hike for me but thanks! Have a great show!
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

jksuperstar wrote:The front panel preamp has analog controls for Gain, Phantom, Hi-Z and Pad. No indication internally to scope of the preamp gain, it is right there on the front panel knob. I find the preamp cleaner than any other I own, and the Hi-Z input impedance is very well suited for guitar/bass input (VERY low noise and treats transients better than any pedal or amp that I have access to).

The back panel Analog Inputs are XLR (differential) +4dbu line level inputs.

Front and back panels can be used separately and simultaneously.

Ahh ok I see now thanks - those two front panel XLR connectors are combo jacks that accept either XLR or 1/4" plugs. The back panel connectors are traditional XLR style. So I guess you just set the Xite input signals via your DAW meters?

I'm really Xited! Can't wait to get this puppy in the studio and start playing with it. I'm sure my mixes will take a step up in quality as a result. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of my Scope cards though. Pretty amazing they have survived so many hardware upgrades over the years. That's unusual for PC based hardware actually.