HDMI cable

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

sunmachine

HDMI cable

Post by sunmachine »

I read somewhere in the forum that you can use any HDMI to connect the Xite to the computer.
So I just want to make sure, that it's really ANY HDMI cable...?
It doesn't matter if it's 1.3, 1.4 (with Ethernet) or whatever type (granted it's a High Speed cable)?
And it's also ok to use a HDMI cable with a HDMI to Mini-HDMI adapter with the ExpressCard?

Thanks!
garyb

Re: HDMI cable

Post by garyb »

yes, just a basic hdmi cable will do. just about any hdmi cable with the proper ends will work.
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

Cool, thanks Gary!
Three minutes for an answer is not that bad actually :) :)
auntybiotic

Post by auntybiotic »

i went 10 meters with a high speed hdmi cable :-)
nimmen

Post by nimmen »

Hello folks,
posting my problem in this thread as it seems mostly related.
I've been using xite1(not xite1D) with my laptop and default cable for quite few years now,
as i've upgraded my amp and speakers, decided to change the layout of the room, basically i need relatively long hdmi cable now.
Tried 10m generic one, didnt work, tried using 5m(cant really use shorter one now) and strange things are happening :)
Basically, scope disconnects at random(errors look similar as ones i had when disconnecting shorter cable), tried removing devices in scope(removed all to make DSP load constant), changing sample rate, duck taping the cable(so it would be VERY stable), walking over the cable, re-connecting the cable on both ends, increasing latency, changing volume and many more things. All the things i've tried seem not to relate to scope spitting out errors, copyright violation, pci overload, few others.
I can get scope working from 1 minute, or even less(sometimes it just wont run on cold reboot, so i need to reboot again), to almost a day or so, seems to be random. Using it at the moment as a simple audio interface, basically playing flac's over spdif, so DSP load is really the same, all the time(IMO).
Was wondering if any of you guys have it working on similar circumstances, 5m cable(mini hdmi to hdmi). The only thing that could be related would be the PSU adapter, original one did fry out, so am using other generic one, maybe 1.8A or something similar, a little bit weaker than the original.
Basically question is, did any of you had problems with cables(similar length or longer), or if any of you used hdmi boosters/repeaters(with no problems).

Cheers
modular
garyb

Post by garyb »

the cable length shouldn't be a problem, but HDMI cables themselves are often crappy, even new ones. this sounds like it's just a bad cable.
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I ended up buying a 4.6 meter cable from Amazon. In fact it was branded as an Amazon cable. I think I paid less than $15 for it.

http://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-High ... HDMI+cable

This may be a discontinued item though - seems like they're not offering it in longer lengths now. Maybe that's a warning sign lol

Anyway, been in service for a couple of months now. Seems to to be working fine. This is a permanent installation so the cable never gets moved.

At the time I bought this cable, I had made a trip down to my local Radio Shack store (two blocks away) and saw a similar product but the retail price was around $50. Not knowing much about HDMI cables, I did some snooping around the various hi-fi chat forums and practically no one suggested that spending more was going to really buy you anything in terms of performance so I opted to go the cheaper route and see how it worked out. The cable seems well-made from the outside. Sometimes these cheaper cables use aluminum conductors (instead of the higher quality and more expensive OFC (oxygen free copper). I guess time will tell. The shorter HDMI cable that came bundled with Xite didn't seem like anything special either.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Aside from the cable, I'd also check that your PCIe card hasn't moved in the slot at all.

I think the longest I used was 5m without an issue.