wordclock fix for xite1 question

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

guppy

wordclock fix for xite1 question

Post by guppy »

Hello
I just got my xite1, and installed the 5.1 32 bits software.
I was wondering what was this wordclock fix ?
I just read some things on a topic, but that's not clear for me :(

Is it for choosing to use Xite as master or slave with bnc connection only, or must i apply the PulsarConfig_XITE-Master.pep/PulsarConfig_XITE-Slave.pep even with adat/zlink clocking ?

I mean if I choose xite1 to be master with adat/zlink connections only (without BNC) as I do, must i choose to put the PulsarConfig_XITE-Master.pep in the script folder instead the original PulsarConfig.pep (which must be originaly installed as PulsarConfig_XITE-Slave.pep as it seems to be).

And if i choose to put xite as slave with adat/zlink/BNC, i must too change this file again ?

Or is it completly something else I missed ?

Thanks !
borg

Re: wordclock fix for xite1 question

Post by borg »

hi Guppy,

No need for the patch when using ADAT/Zlink... only BNC wordclock
andy
the lunatics are in the hall
guppy

Post by guppy »

Ok thank you !!
fraz

Post by fraz »

What is this fix? - Can someone please explain?- I may use wordclock - Is there a workaround that's needed?--- :o
garyb

Post by garyb »

the XITE can only be wordclock master OR slave. it depends on one file. the fix is to change wordclock functions from one to the other.
happycritter

Post by happycritter »

From my lurking, it seems as though there is no benefit to using an external wordclock with XITE - is this true?

To B(igBen) or not to B(igBen), that is the question...
xw8400
2.33 GHz Xeon Quad core (E5345 Socket 771) x2
32Gb ECC buffered memory
AMD HD7700
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb root drive
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Sonar Platinum
XITE-1 (flipping awesome!)
garyb

Post by garyb »

why would you use it?

if you have a number of digital devices that all need the same clock, wordclock is the way to go. if it's just the XITE, well there's not really any benefit at all.
happycritter

Post by happycritter »

garyb wrote:why would you use it?

if you have a number of digital devices that all need the same clock, wordclock is the way to go. if it's just the XITE, well there's not really any benefit at all.
What a bargain the XITE is, you could purchase one for the cost of what you don't need to buy (or what it replaces)...
BigBen $1500
Dangerous 2-Bus $2900
Total $4400

XITE $3900

(this student is saving his pennies!)
xw8400
2.33 GHz Xeon Quad core (E5345 Socket 771) x2
32Gb ECC buffered memory
AMD HD7700
Samsung 850 EVO 250Gb root drive
Windows 7 Pro (64bit)
Sonar Platinum
XITE-1 (flipping awesome!)
garyb

Post by garyb »

that's what i think too!
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

I've been thinking about these things lately too.

So if you use Z-Link (from the Sonic Core/Creamware A16), you don't need wordclock right? Because that's handled through the Z-Link protocol right?

Do you need a BNC wordclock connection if you use ADAT? I think so right? But only one device is setup as a master?
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

krizrox wrote:I've been thinking about these things lately too.

So if you use Z-Link (from the Sonic Core/Creamware A16), you don't need wordclock right? Because that's handled through the Z-Link protocol right?

Do you need a BNC wordclock connection if you use ADAT? I think so right? But only one device is setup as a master?
No WC needed,- not w/ ADAT and not w/ Zlink (as also not w/ AES/EBU I think).

I use XITE-1 out of the box being "master" w/ NUENDO 8 I/O (RME ADI 8 Pro) converter connected to 1 set of ADAT I/Os.
To the other set of ADAT I/Os, there´s the 2nd PC w/ Creamware Power Pulsar PCI card connected via ADAT.
Now I could connect another AD/DA to XITE-1 Zlink and still don´t need WC distribution,- and connect something to AES/ABU I/O too.
The "wordclock" exists in the ADAT signal too, you only decide for what´s master and what´ slave,- in my case the NUENDO/RME converter and SCOPE PCI card are slaves then.

But,- when you connect to a reel-to-reel tape MTR p.ex. and use SMPTE and MIDI together w/ a synchronizer, THEN you need WC from Synchronizer to XITE-1 (as well as MTC to your DAW sequencer) and have to set XITE-1 as a slave, which needs the "XITE WC fix" file.
Connected AD/DA´s should be slaves too then.
I have a Steinberg Nuendo Timelock Pro (which is a "Rosendahl" machine) and my trusty old Fostex tape machine in such setup.

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
krizrox

Post by krizrox »

Interesting - Thanks Bud!

I only have a single Sonic Core A16 AD/DA convertor that I use for normal studio use. 16 channels. 16 channels seems to be all I ever need for the majority of projects I do here. Occasionally, I also use the analog in's on my Scope card for a synth (Korg Triton) when needed. I know the Xite box has all that IO too.

Now... going back a long time ago, I originally started with a Pulsar card that had the ADAT IO option. I ran my first A16 using ADAT inputs to the Pulsar and thought the "sound" sounded kind of loose (as in... not tight). That being my first ever experience with ADAT fiber optic transmission, I wasn't sure what to make of it. Soon afterwards I bought another Pulsar with the Z-Link IO option interface and ran everything using Z-Link Firewire. That made a big difference to my ears. The overall sound was tight and crisp. I wasn't sure why, but I never looked back after that. I thought maybe it was because I wasn't using an external clock. I plan to maybe experiment with ADAT vs Z-Link when I get my Xite box. Z-Link's only future is as good as the older A16's are around. I was considering moving up to one of the newer Ferrofish A16's but they don't provide Z-Link.