Considering Xite or UAD Apollo - cons and pros please?

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

dawman

Re: Considering Xite or UAD Apollo - cons and pros please?

Post by dawman »

I was hoping someone would buy that board. It's a DSP cards dream, especially if you can span the cards across the 5 x 32bit slots for the sake of cooling.
endre70

Post by endre70 »

Glad I could help :-)

Some facts,,

-The display card (with passive cooling) is blocking one of the pci slots..
- It only got 2 PCiE slots - 1x PCI-E 3.0 x16 slot and 1x PCI-E 2.0 x4

2 slots have no IRQ conflicts…but it is next to each other.. The other slots shares IRQs with other stuff.. I will make a screen shot of the IRQs tomorrow in the studio. I have done the Garyb tweaks in bios.

Hashwell 3.6 quad, 32gb ram (max with this board), win7 64bit.

Question..: If my main Scope cards got no IRQ conflict, will additional DSP cards (with IRQ conflicts() make any trouble in paradise?

Regards
Endre
garyb

Post by garyb »

the problem is not "irq conflicts", it's sharing. not all sharing is a problem, it's mainly firewire and usb.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Just curious why you wouldn't want to use the Haswell GFX. They are excellent for audio work, use no system resources when streaming samples are concerned, and since they are built into the CPU die, surely won't cause any conflicts or trouble placing cards.
I have seen a DAW using the same basic config as yours with 3 x screens. Not a problem.

Also of use to me was to disable all USB ports except one, and then use a powered Hub for all USB devices.
I actually remember disabling all of them and still being able to power a USB 88 note controller.

On the RAM, I also upgraded to 32GBs and bought 2 PLAY Orchestral instruments, as they require lots of RAM. As soon as I rebooted I noticed the responsiveness changed from the increase, so I backed down the voltage from 1.5v to 1.35v and I could load and stream w/o any troubles. The CAS 10 setting @ 1333MHz is what I currently use and have for a while trouble free.
endre70

Post by endre70 »

garyb wrote: not all sharing is a problem, it's mainly firewire and usb.
Great! That should ease up my Irq anxiety issues. Thanx!
dawman wrote:Just curious why you wouldn't want to use the Haswell GFX. They are excellent for audio work.
There is only one vga port on the MB, i have multiple screens..
dawman wrote: Also of use to me was to disable all USB ports except one, and then use a powered Hub for all USB devices.
I actually remember disabling all of them and still being able to power a USB 88 note controller.

On the RAM, I also upgraded to 32GBs and bought 2 PLAY Orchestral instruments, as they require lots of RAM. As soon as I rebooted I noticed the responsiveness changed from the increase, so I backed down the voltage from 1.5v to 1.35v and I could load and stream w/o any troubles. The CAS 10 setting @ 1333MHz is what I currently use and have for a while trouble free.
Great info! Thank you!
katano

Post by katano »

endre70 wrote:
Question..: If my main Scope cards got no IRQ conflict, will additional DSP cards (with IRQ conflicts() make any trouble in paradise?

Regards
Endre
Hi Endre

From my experience, a two card setup always worked better for me (had at least 3 different mobos to test with). It's not only IRQ sharing but also the interconnection between the pci cards, which could lead to bottlenecks imho. Ok, to be fair, 3 Scope Pro's maybe were a bit too much ;-)

So need more DSPs? So if I were you, i would replace the Luna with a Pulsar II or a Scope Pro, depending on your requirements. And I guess you'll get DSP addicted as well, so try to get a Scope Pro 14 DSP ;-)

Cheers,
Roman
Marco

Post by Marco »

Sorry, but 3 x 14 or 15 DSP isnt too much, it will light your fire.
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
katano

Post by katano »

anabella wrote:Sorry, but 3 x 14 or 15 DSP isnt too much, it will light your fire.
It depends on the mobo... As I said before, my personal experience is that 2 Scope Pros worked much smoother than 3 Scope Pros. I was never able to use all the DSPs with 3 cards, I always run into DSP alignment or pci bandwidth errors first, no matter how many stdm cables. But I was able to max out 2 Scope Pros with no hassle at all.

Cheers,
Roman
Marco

Post by Marco »

you can maximum the power by exchanging the boards by trial and error. I found a perfect working config by accident. Asus z87 c, 5 dtm cables, 64 bit win 7. No problem to use 4x8 Adat in and out. 16 vst audiostreams from and to samplidude. . . .
:wink: out and about for music production. Are you still configguring your Studio :lol: music first!
dawman

Post by dawman »

I had a pair of 3 x Pro DAWs for a while then settled for them using 2 x Pro cards with a Project. Didn't see any difference in DSP power and had zero issues, as 3 x Pros was on ocassion a pain in the arse.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

I still have a Maxtor TripleHeadToGo (VGA) that works great with 3 monitors using only one VGA port on my old PC.
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/produ ... splayport/

I have it sitting here and could probably sell it cheap.

G
Marco

Post by Marco »

Should I be able to remove one of the cards, having no disadvantage?
endre70

Post by endre70 »

siriusbliss wrote:I still have a Maxtor TripleHeadToGo (VGA) that works great with 3 monitors using only one VGA port on my old PC.
http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/produ ... splayport/

I have it sitting here and could probably sell it cheap.

G
Thats very kind of you!! I am able to get hold of one from a friend over here. Thank you for your tip!

Endre
dante

Post by dante »

anabella wrote:Should I be able to remove one of the cards, having no disadvantage?
No you have to replace one of them with a Pulsar II - thats what Jimmy said.

Then you can send me the Scope Pro.
Marco

Post by Marco »

Hey Dante, If you invite me to australia, pay a flightticket, I take a bath in your private swimmingpool with my little bikini. After that, we can make the change. . . . . and boooze some whisky.
dante

Post by dante »

That would be entertaining - a cat fight between you and the Mrs !!! :lol: :lol:
Marco

Post by Marco »

Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

anabella wrote:... in your private swimmingpool with my little bikini...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SMU86DvrfU

You should perform that song and introduce yourself as Cat Erina :wink:

Bud
S|C Scope/XITE-1 & S|C A16U, Scope PCI & CW A16U
Marco

Post by Marco »

katarina valente is cool
spacef

Post by spacef »

bikini works better than trikini for me...
(ok, ok, we are drifting from the original topic.... running away)
plug-ins for scope
SpaceF website
SC website