Getting the most DSP power to Modular IV

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

peksi

Getting the most DSP power to Modular IV

Post by peksi »

Hi all,

I've had the privilege of diving into the world of Modular IV and I aim to do all my lead synth parts with it since I get unique sound every time.

But last time I ran in to a popup window saying I've run outta DSP power and if I wish to optimize. Clearly I've not run out of DSP power since I've gor a dozen DSPs unused.

So in short what steps I need to take to get the optimum performance out of XITE-1 for Modular IV? Should I try manual DSP assignment? Avoid some plugins? I could not find a clear answer after searching.

My XITE and Modular versions are from installation CD from last Christmas. XITE seems to be of latest version but Modular IV I cannot be sure. ModularIV.zip in the CD is dated Feb 4 2011 in the installation CD.

Thanks for all help.

Pekka
garyb

Re: Getting the most DSP power to Modular IV

Post by garyb »

clearly you did run out of dsp power or you wouldn't get that message.

there are a number of different resources and requirements for things to work. i'm not sure what resource you maxed out, i'd need to see a screenshot of the error message to say. depending on the order that things get loaded in, you might end up with space on dsps on opposite ends of the physical dsp card, or even worse, between opposite ends of different cards. this space would be useless for some operations, since the latency between different chip may make realtime use impossible. the "global optimization" is a reshuffling of devices so that they fit better on the dsps/use the resources needed more efficiently. only Scope allows this. a UAD or ProTools dsp system would just tell you you're maxed out, the end.

manual assignment might help, so might the order that things get loaded. pay attention to the dsp meter as things get loaded and you'll have a better idea of what is happening. i doubt that it's just not working correctly though.

automatic dsp loading algorythms are pretty tricky and involved, it's always possible to improve them. as long as Sonic|Core gets support, eventually these things will be improved, Scope is one of the most efficient users of dsp resources made, though.
dawman

Post by dawman »

I have a method tha allows me some ways around getting the optimization requests, or jive ass crap about no more DSPs.
Load the Modular shell with 1 voice and assign it to DSP 7, then immediately return to optimization options and clear the assignment.

Now pack that shell with whatever you want, and say yes to DSP reload requests along the way.
But once you finish the patch assign it to DSP15,16,17, or 18.
It will remember that on reloading, and leaves the first 4 DSPs open.

I cannot scientifically proove the first 4 chips are the beginning of DSP load/strengths, but at least on my box that what it does for me.

I build every project this way, using Modular or 3rd party Mixers, special devices like SpaceF and RoyT make work better for me once I get the biggest devices loaded, and sent to the end of the chain, meaning the last DSPs in the 12 chips. 15/16/17 and 18 are what I consider the end of the train.
peksi

Post by peksi »

Thanks guys for your quick answers. Dawman I will try what you do.

Gary do you have any idea about Dawman's method? My DSP load was around 5-10 percent when I checked the load meter at the time of the optimize popup so it would seem that something else run out.

Modular is one unique beast of it's kind! Utilizing XITE power there is no limit to what it can do. If I had to suggest something to SC it would be to put your efforts on Modular. Max it out and keep on doing what no other company does.
garyb

Post by garyb »

nobody has played around more with his system than Dawman. yes, i've heard this before. i don't need to do these things personally, but i don't really use my rig the same way...
peksi

Post by peksi »

dawman has just been moved to a box named "gurus" in my internal user classification
dawman

Post by dawman »

Got another trick you might like if you want a nice lookig large MIDI Monitor in your project window to help w/ if you are interested...
peksi

Post by peksi »

i've set dsp to 7 and cleared it when starting to create new synth as you said. since that i've not seen dsp optimization prompts so no need to do the additional steps for now. even when i did my last test with 15 oscs and a lot of other stuff.

when i started this thread it was my first tests and i did not have any modular IV devices available. now i have them installed and i try to use them when possible. maybe that also makes a difference?

thanks for advice. very happy to do stuff with my modular, i really hope SC people put their bets on this beast in the future aswell.