Pwr up Xite

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

Pwr up Xite

Post by yayajohn »

I was thinking of using a pwr strip on/off to use with my Xite instead of the internal pwr switch.
Any risk to harming the unit by doing this?
jksuperstar

Re: Pwr up Xite

Post by jksuperstar »

It won't makes things more harsh on the internal components if that's what you're thinking.

In fact, it'll save some longer term stress in the power supply, as the caps won't be under continuous duty as in the case if the power supply was always on, but the XITE itself was turned off. (The caps are usually the first to go in my experience)
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Maybe it's my imagination but it seems like there's a spike sometimes when I turn things on like that instead of using the pwr button on the unit.
Quality of the pwr strip might have something to do with that?
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Probably because the ground changes when you switch at the power supply instead of in the xite. Is everything in the studio on the same power supply/switch?
jhulk

Post by jhulk »

when you switch one on at a time the power drain is only for that item when you switch on everything at same time it a large ampage drain which will cause a bigger spike until they all load and level out

to stop any spikes at all you can fit large caps at the mains which take the spikes and smooth
the output suppression caps or fit a sinus wave output invertor ups before any sockets this will soak up any spikes in the ups batteries and feed the ac voltages required for your studio gear and if there is a power outage then you will have a few hours of use
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok thanks i think an extra UPC might be the best route then. Have it hooked up to one already but the pwr sw is too far to reach.