Express Card

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

fraz

Express Card

Post by fraz »

Hi,

quick question about the express card - Is there an included cable with this for the 149 euros? - if so, is it HDMI??? -

Just pondering- -the laptop will have an HDMI connection on it- NOT mini HDMI from the specs sheet. its not arrived yet----

I've not ordered the express card yet but I have emailed Sonic-Core to ask about it---
Mr Arkadin

Re: Express Card

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Your laptop needs the Express slot - that's why you need the ExpressCard adapter. The supplied HDMI to mini-HDMI then connects from the XITE to the ExpressCard adapter.

You cannot use an HDMI slot on the laptop.
fraz

Post by fraz »

I was just beginning to realise this when I had another look! - that's why I wanted to delete the post cos it looks like a stupid question... :lol: ...ah well.... :P

Out of interest how many laptops come with the necessary express connection?
fraz

Post by fraz »

Does Xite-1 work on windows 7? - I've got it on XP for the desktop(s)!- I see there is a 64 bit version for the Xite-1 software-
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Yes, the Xite-1works on Win7.
There are more laptops coming up with a HDMI input(mostly for gaming) would that work?
Avant-electronic composer | synthesis research | lecturer
http://www.rolandkuit.com/
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Roland Kuit wrote:There are more laptops coming up with a HDMI input(mostly for gaming) would that work?
Not currently, maybe in the future? I don't know what part of the system has access to the HDMI and whether it could be accessed with audio software or not. I'm sure if it could be then Sonic Core will do it.

I am looking to get a Lenovo W model as these all come with ExpressCard and are machines for function rather than looks (i.e. no slimline profiles, fancy cases etc.)
garyb

Post by garyb »

no!

even though it uses an HDMI cable, the XITE does NOT use an HDMI connection. the cable is used because it's high bandwidth and it's common.
if you plug into an HDMI connector on the computer, you're liable to damage both computer and XITE.

the Express card connects to an Extresscard slot on a laptop. currently, Expresscard isn't that common. when the XITE was designed, many high-end laptops and even many mid-priced laptops were around. now only a very select few can be found with an Expresscard, but they are out there. check Lenovo...or just buy a used laptop. it's not like it has to be the very latest lappy to be useful.
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

Ok Gary. Thanks!
It works great with the old laptops I have.
But I have fast laptops for things demanding more speed and very important: Lightweight.
As hand baggage for in plains and not having to carry 2 laptops.
The old laptops are simply to heavy.
I certainly hope that SC will come up with an answer for newer generations of laptops.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

If/when Thunderbolt takes hold, then a TB to PCIe adapter could be used.
Other manufacturers besides Apple are starting to build in Thunderbolt.

G
sunmachine

Post by sunmachine »

siriusbliss wrote:If/when Thunderbolt takes hold, then a TB to PCIe adapter could be used.
Other manufacturers besides Apple are starting to build in Thunderbolt.

G
I wonder if this adapter will work with the Sonic Core ExpressCard to connect the XITE via Thunderbolt...
http://www.sonnettech.com/product/echoe ... rbolt.html
Anybody knows?
garyb

Post by garyb »

i think someone did test this successfully, but i am not 100% sure(like 90%)....
dante

Post by dante »

fraz wrote:Does Xite-1 work on windows 7?
It works on Windows 8 as well.
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

That would be cool!
sharc

Post by sharc »

fraz wrote:Out of interest how many laptops come with the necessary express connection?
A few 'recent' laptops with expresscard:

Lenovo - ThinkPad L530, X230 & X230t

HP - ProBook 6475b, 6570b & EliteBook 8560W

Dell Latitude E5530, E6220 & Precision M6700

Toshiba Tecra R940-1CW

Alienware M18x

Panasonic Toughbook CF-53
fraz

Post by fraz »

Roland Kuit wrote:Yes, the Xite-1works on Win7.
There are more laptops coming up with a HDMI input(mostly for gaming) would that work?

I believe your question has already been answered..... :lol: .....BUT

USB to ExpressCard Adapter = startech do these - Just bought one - its worth a shot for around £30 GBP.....

I was going to put it into Microsoft paint and upload but its just USB one end - and express card (the important bit) other end.......

http://www.startech.com/ECU2USB - :D
garyb

Post by garyb »

i doubt if this will work, or if it works, that it will work well. USB is pretty far removed from the rest of the computer's hardware layer. i can forsee some serious issues related to realtime timings, but please let us know if it does work.
fraz

Post by fraz »

It will go into the USB 3 port on a new laptop - which has been bought for the mobile aspect and has a quick processor (i7!!!)-

There are some cheap laptops that are available for say £250 but don't have good CPU which is not important for Xite-1 but does come and issue if you need VSTi or new RE's - PC's with good CPU and express card are more pricey....

I've not got the Express Card yet Gary but when I do have it all together I will try it out and get back with what happens----

Where do you see the main issues-?-

recording audio
playing a VSTi in realtime

or something more serious with the SFP software for Xite-1 Project? - or maybe the whole lot..... :P .....
garyb

Post by garyb »

USB3 or whatever, isn't the point. neither is the speed of the processor. it's doubtful is Scope will work properly, but it might...

even a core2 duo will run most any vsti. it won't run a bunch of them at the same time, but it will run a couple of very heavy vstis or 4 or 5 lightweight to medium romplers at the same time. you aren't going to be editing multiple vstis at the same time. just freeze them, unless you want to edit them. it's insane to have a boatload of vstis open at the same time unless it's a live performance box that you are building. if it is a live performance box, don't use a laptop...all my opinions only...

or just do it the way you want... :lol:
Roland Kuit

Post by Roland Kuit »

[if it is a live performance box, don't use a laptop...all my opinions only...]
....eh? :-?
garyb

Post by garyb »

the purpose of the box determines whay it needs to be. he was concerned about playing vstis, romplers, i believe. anyway, the laptops mentioned above have plenty of power to support several vstis, more than enough for composition.

if one needed to load a number of romplers because the computer was being used as a live sound module where several splits might be played as well as quick instrument/patch changes might be necessary, then a lot more power is needed and a rackmounted desktop might work better, just because of product architecture and heat/powersupply issues, not to mention the need for multiple drives for samples...

for other live use, a laptop might be great. i'm sorry, i can only express half a thought when typing. i'm not too smart...or something.