Powering XITE on after PC -> no go

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

peksi

Powering XITE on after PC -> no go

Post by peksi »

Hi all,

I like to keep my PC on but I try to save electricity and my music hardware by switching them off when I am away. But it seems XITE will not work after power cycling while keeping PC on. I have to reboot the PC to get it working again.

When I try start Scope XITE it complains about hardware version 3 detection. I suppose it is looking at my Scope PCI cards after losing connection XITE or something.

Is there any solution to this?

Pekka
garyb

Re: Powering XITE on after PC -> no go

Post by garyb »

no. realtime systems cannot sleep.
peksi

Post by peksi »

when in use ;)
garyb

Post by garyb »

ever.

no sleep, no hibernate.
peksi

Post by peksi »

why could you not disconnect, turn off, turn on and reconnect a separate real time hardware? it's up to the driver programming to release it's resources when no longed needed and vice versa.

only obstacle i can think of would be that the driver has to somehow claim a special real time priority that could for some reason only be claimed on os boot. but i never heard that before, i thought real time priority can be claimed and unclaimed on the fly.
garyb

Post by garyb »

the pcie card is below the os. the motherboard must recognize it first. that only happens on boot.
peksi

Post by peksi »

pcie card is powered on when pc is powered on.
petal

Post by petal »

I love your fighting spirit, even though it's a lost cause :)
garyb

Post by garyb »

it's not about a driver.
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

garyb wrote:it's not about a driver.
Right

Greg
garyb

Post by garyb »

nice drama production, but it's not how a computer works.

it's not how the motherboard and PCIe works.

it has nothing to do with Scope, S|C, anyone's opinion, a driver, or anything else other than the way things work.

surprisingly, there's an upside to all this. while the XITE must be powered on before the PC, once the motherboard recognizes it's presence, it is there until power is removed from the slot(which is why it can't sleep). the hardware cannot disappear just because the os thought you might have unplugged it. a device in the motherboard's expansion slot is considered just another onboard device that is part of the motherboard by the bios, but this only happens at the initial boot. once the os begins loading, the bios has completed it's inventory a long time ago(in boot sequence timeframe).

of course, this is a gross simplification, but it works the way that it does because, well, that's how it does work. it certainly doesn't run on imaginion waves.
peksi

Post by peksi »

it has nothing to do with fighting spirit or opinions. it is possible to do a standalone dsp processing unit that exchanges control and audio data with the host. power cycling such unit while host is on should be possible.

simplified example would be separate dedicated Scope workstation with S|C hardware installed, connected with ADAT/Z-LINK/MIDI to the DAW. feel free to power it down as you wish and the connection is re-established after reboot.

maybe the reason is that the XITE PCIe is sharing some of the workload and the PCIe card + XITE external unit combination is working as one unit?

edit: read the explanation of gary only afterwards :D that makes sense
wouterz

Post by wouterz »

I like my hardware very much, it dictates a certain power sequence but I gladly obey to that :) That's just one minute of my time and then I can make music for 10 hours (if inspiration allows for it). I'm still using a Scope PCI system but I do reboot before I start making music. That's because I have a separate Windows installation for my music stuff. It's a bit off topic but I can recommend this to every one. My Windows installation for music production has been stable for the last 8 years. No internet connection (no distractions from forums and stuff), no virus/spyware scanners, nu automatic updates (if it works don't fix it), no other non music related crap. All originally bought and licensed music software, it just works every time and it boots 10 times faster than my other Windows installation.
dawman

Post by dawman »

Poor Dusty, can't win an argument to save his life.
Here in the XITE-1 threads we are all brothers so perhaps if you are looking for a thread where you can drive a wedge, you should go home to the OT thread.
I for one, am flattered you pretend to own an XITE-1, and I understand the desire to have such quality kit. I am sure in 2022 when the price drops to 600 Euro, you'll be able to borrow the money, then come back and critique the unit after we are all using S|C handheld 32 x Sharc 512bit RISC machines running custom OS's.
jksuperstar

Post by jksuperstar »

Actually, with my Lenovo W520, and the expresscard interface, I can plug the xite in any time after boot. I can power up in any sequence I like. Sometimes the card gets knocked out of position (and the built-in eject spring helps it auto-eject, unfortunately), and that causes scope to warn me about using scope with out a proper license. Or some erroneous error about dsp communication. Sometimes, I can then plug it back in, and accept the typical option to "try to communicate with DSPs again". And it works. Othertimes scope can crash. So I close it, plug the Xite/expresscard back in, and restart scope. RARELY do I need to reboot the computer.

This is all because ExpressCard is (by spec/definition) hot pluggable.

In use, I usually have auto sleep/hibernate disabled, and initiate those manually. After I've shutdown scope and popped out the card ;)
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

dawman wrote:I am sure in 2022 when the price drops to 600 Euro, you'll be able to borrow the money, then come back and critique the unit after we are all using S|C handheld 32 x Sharc 512bit RISC machines running custom OS's.
Yeah with HD MIDI to go man !
peksi

Post by peksi »

dawman wrote:Poor Dusty, can't win an argument to save his life.
Here in the XITE-1 threads we are all brothers so perhaps if you are looking for a thread where you can drive a wedge, you should go home to the OT thread.
I for one, am flattered you pretend to own an XITE-1, and I understand the desire to have such quality kit. I am sure in 2022 when the price drops to 600 Euro, you'll be able to borrow the money, then come back and critique the unit after we are all using S|C handheld 32 x Sharc 512bit RISC machines running custom OS's.
oh no i hope this was not meant for me :)

i am a proud owner of XITE, Pulsar 1 + 2 and i would never give it up. no need for such harsh words, this was meant as a pure technical conversation. maybe a little bit provocation to gary b but i am sure he won't mind :)
siriusbliss

Post by siriusbliss »

Hot plugging the express card into my laptop is generally an iffy experience.

Turning on Xite with computer already on works ok, and launches Scope, but tends to take longer to boot up Scope.

Best option is to just turn on Xite first before booting up computer.

G
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

peksi wrote:oh no i hope this was not meant for me :)
It wasn't ... I think Dusty = stardust.
peksi

Post by peksi »

critics for a commercial products should be taken as suggestions for improvement. i am sure nobody here has no grudge or harmful intentions for anyone.