2 questions about xite-1

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

alex77

2 questions about xite-1

Post by alex77 »

hi all

i want to buy a xite
i like to use it outdoor with a laptop as "insert" in a different analog mixers.

1. when i cut the hdmi cable connection, the loaded project in xite is still loaded & working?

2. in case of power blackout, is there some kind of autoload-project (without a laptop connected)?

thx

alex
t_tangent

Re: 2 questions about xite-1

Post by t_tangent »

alex77 wrote:hi all

i want to buy a xite
i like to use it outdoor with a laptop as "insert" in a different analog mixers.

1. when i cut the hdmi cable connection, the loaded project in xite is still loaded & working?

2. in case of power blackout, is there some kind of autoload-project (without a laptop connected)?

thx

alex

Hi Alex, you can certainly use the XITE-1 outputs into an analog mixer, however if you want to use it outdoors you will need some kind of power supply in order to power the XITE-1, although presumably you already would have that since you say you will also be using an analog mixer and I guess that too needs a power supply.

In answer to your questions.

1. First You need to have XITE-1 connected between XITE-1 and the laptop. (XITE-1 comes with a PCIE adapter card to connect to a desktop type PC, but in order to use XITE-1 with a laptop you need to purchase the Sonic Core PCIExpress adapter which is available from SC website shop).

Next you need to turn on XITE-1 and then power up the laptop. Then start Scope OS if it isnt set to automatically run on starting windows. Finally turn on your monitors.

N.B. you cannot disconnect the HDMI cable or turn off XITE-1 without turning off the laptop first or it will crash windows. At least that is the way it is here with my setup. You must turn off the laptop first and then turn off XITE-1, so that hopefully answers your first question. And don't forget to power off your monitors first, then XITE, then laptop :)

2. If you are worried about power outage when XITE is on, best thing would be to buy a UPS to go between XITE-1 power adapter and the power supply. Thesre is some info on this forum about recommended UPS, so do a search :)

I just have a project saved as my startup project and then if I change it much for a specific project then I will save another copy, so if there is a crash or power outage then at least I dont have to rebuild the project module by module, but yes a UPS would be handy so I might invest in one sometime. But would recommend this if you are using XITE-1 outdoors or in a live situation. Perhaps some of the other users here can advise you better on that.

Cheers and hope that helps. XITE-1 is an amazing system and incredibly flexible, and once you get used to the way it works, it really is a pleasure to use, not to mention its exceptional sound.
alex77

Post by alex77 »

thx for your help

i use pci cards mor than 10 years
i want to buy a xite and even thought about a second way to use it - live.
but it looks like it´s not the right gear.

for example:

right now i use a motu microbook for these things.
...a new location -> crappy mixer from the house (non param eq´s)

i insert the microbook just two channels for two headsets.
now i have 5 full parametric filters for each channel.

i like to use the xite in the same way (better filters, compression, reverb, blabla..)

as i saved the project in the microbook - it´s fixed.
if it´s powered it remains in this preset when the laptop crashes.
even when you cut the power - it loads it´s last state in 20 - 30 seconds.

that´s what i mean & NEED fur a secure live using.

anyway

thx again

i think i bought xite even without this features for the studio and use the little motu for live jobs like before

:)
timstoel

Post by timstoel »

Here's a few other options outside of Scope that are specifically suited for live use. Prices are used prices.

Peavey MediaMatrix X-Frame ($150 USD)
Best deal ever in audio processing, even considering this is 15 years old. Don't let the Peavey name fool you, MediaMatrix stuff is installed in some of the largest venues in the world. The original X-Frame is 4 in, 6 out, or 12 in, 14 out with the expansion chassis, and has an AES in/out which works good with Scope. I own two and use them for crossovers, limiters, monitor mixing, idiot-proofing PA systems I am leaving unattended, lots of stuff. I have one racked right under my Xite and I use it a lot. You can find them for nearly nothing used, and they run forever. I have 24 channels of Peavey install mic preamps with them, which are transformer balanced on the inputs. In 12U I have 24 mic preamps and a 24x24 channel DSP mixer/processor that can do just about anything, and I paid about $350 USD for all of it. Add a used Tascam MX-2424 hard disk recorder for $400 and you have a serious rig for live shows. I grew up around the MediaMatrix in my high school auditorium and it was probably how I got hooked on DSP. It uses a serial port with PC software that lets you drag and drop and route like Scope, and it also lets you design your own interface screens. For as old as it is, you can run a TON of stuff at once too.

Shure P4800 ($500 USD now)
4 in, 8 out DSP box that is great for their DFR (digital feedback reduction) This is perfect if you're dealing with bad, unpredictable feedback issues in run-and-gun setups. Imagine a stage with 10 monitor mixes, high SPLs, and a few people on stage with lavs or headworn mics walking in the audience in front of a line array. This box becomes your friend fast. I owned two when I was a live sound guy. I ran quite a few corporate gigs with just these and powered speakers. It has a slightly higher noise floor, but it is OK for louder productions. Not recommended for classical or jazz gigs. It has a serial port and PC software.

Ashly Protea (~$500 USD)
Another cool DSP box used for live sound system management. Also has a serial port and PC software.

BSS London, SoundWeb, etc
Another great line of DSP processing, probably more costly. I farted around with a few of these in a very large scale install and they work very, very well.

If you're curious about this, I could go on and on... I lived for messing with this stuff until I got my first Creamware card.

Tim
garyb

Post by garyb »

actually, the XITE would continue to work and you would get an error message. you wouldn't be able to change anything until after a hard reset and computer reboot.