Connecting XITE to Scope PCI

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

peksi

Connecting XITE to Scope PCI

Post by peksi »

I have seen some discussions about using Scope XITE and PCI in the same machine and so far I have seen that the best way would be to use ADAT interconnect between the two. Do you think the 44.1 / 48kHz will be a bottleneck in sound quality?

Suppose if I only wanted to do mastering with PCI and needed only 2 channels there, would I do better with analog interconnect with high quality cables? Maybe there is a chance to drive AES/EBU -> spdif with high sample rate but I haven't checked into that yet.

If only I could use that z-link.. Holgeeer...
astroman

Re: Connecting XITE to Scope PCI

Post by astroman »

you could use smux with Adat... ;)
actually I recently wondered about a similiar problem.
Scope doesn't deal with multiple samplerates simultaneously, while many DSP systems have such routines...

what's difficult with 96 in mastering (if your target isn't video) is the different sound print of the converter
whatever it is... good, bad or ugly doesn't matter...
it won't have the 44.1 k aliasing that almost all the consumer stuff has
so you tweak the hell out of the track, sounds great... then at the regular sampling rate... ooops, all gone.
or even worked into the wrong direction.

cheers, Tom
peksi

Post by peksi »

I have to try if smux works. A good idea!

I think my Fostex VC-8 AD converters need to be replaced since they support 48kHz only when they receive external clock. But it is not possible when my XITE ADAT outputs go to Scope PCI. Fostex internal clock supports only 44.1k so that brings the whole orchestra down to 44.1.

I have a feeling that smux may have problems then too?

I looked that Ferrofish may be a good AD/DA converter. Do you know any good quality converters that can do 48kHz internal clock with ADAT?
peksi

Post by peksi »

Can I use software audio routing instead of ADAT? Could I route my stuff from XITE to Asio destination and pick it up with Scope PCI Asio source?

I have never tried that before and I have no idea if Asio allows multiple sources / destinations.
astroman

Post by astroman »

no, those two Asio drivers have the same vendor, but are independant pieces of software
Asio is a low-level protocol talking to a high-level client (in both directions)
2 Asios cannot interchange data with each other
you'd need an application to listen to one Asio Source, collect the stuff and transmit it to another type of Asio destination
in theory, that is... in real world asio is exclusive: it can only serve one client at a time ;)

if you want smux, both systems have to use the high samplerate
imho that's a big waste of resources, unless you have exceptional high quality analog gear

if you're convinced you can gain in the mastering process at 96k then transfer the sum the analog path.
The Mastering system will sample it at 96k and you certainly cannot tell the difference from a digital transfer of a full scale mix.
This is not 1988 anymore... ;)
in fact I'm quite surprised about the quality of the converters of my crappy ioDock for the ipad
at least as far as output is concerned - and Scope's converters are way better imho

if I were to get a new converter in the $1k range I'd most likely pick the Ferrofish
(I haven't heard it yet by myself, tho)
from samples ... and if money wouldn't matter I'd choose a Metric Halo ULN
it was the only one that definitely had some very nice soundprint to it...
pleasing the ears instead of just be precise. The latter isn't my cup of tea at all.
(I just aquired some old Korg stuff 880 ad/da because I like those chips, which are the same as in Creamware's very first A16, the blue one)

cheers, Tom
peksi

Post by peksi »

Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will stick to the 44.1 for a while and see my options a bit more.

Is it possible to use mux in ADAT port A and normal 48kHz in port B? I suppose I cannot do that since I can see only one 96kHz switch?

Do you know if I can utilize the front panel MC inputs with line level from my analog gear? For that I need some sort if DI box I assume?
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

peksi wrote:Thanks for the advice. Maybe I will stick to the 44.1 for a while and see my options a bit more.

Is it possible to use mux in ADAT port A and normal 48kHz in port B? I suppose I cannot do that since I can see only one 96kHz switch?

Do you know if I can utilize the front panel MC inputs with line level from my analog gear? For that I need some sort if DI box I assume?
I think I might be able to help you a lot .
We have connected PCI with Xite using ADAT and also ADAT to MADI converted.
In and out of both Xite and PCI Scope .
i start like this .
ADAT is best but skip thinking about ASIO with me , because we use 128 channels MADI
instead of ASIO .
What you schould know if you want to use ADAT is the syncronising,
and since you do mastering you maybe want to use many ADAT.
If so you can look at the Mutec MC-7.
Its an Amp for paralell syncronising .
When thats installed you need to make one of the units to be the Master.
Lets say you make Xite being the master.
If you do so with more than two ADAT everything will be very easy to use.
The older PCI is sort of better than the new in our opinion ,
but use ADAT is my opinion .
And why not starting with professional paralell sync.
If you consider to use MADI you can forget every Fear people have about Sample Rate.
At least try 48KHZ 24 bit or 32 bit float like in Scope ASIO
96 KHZ is used by SSL and can be used also in Scope.
Ferrofish found one sync card for me,
And they have smaller converters from ADAT to MADI,
Just in case you wanted to try this MADI ,
they are not expensive at all.
A sync card is not needed for PCI ,
It works with sync through ADAT also.
Having a lot of ADAT gear its good if you find a sync card for the PCI.
Bear
Last edited by niceboy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
dante

Post by dante »

peksi wrote:I have seen some discussions about using Scope XITE and PCI in the same machine and so far I have seen that the best way would be to use ADAT interconnect between the two. Do you think the 44.1 / 48kHz will be a bottleneck in sound quality?
Ive been using PCI + XITE on same host for some time.

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_12/pcx_mast.htm

Ive been running at 48KHz and this is my standard setup for projects these days. I run 2 x stereo synths on Scope PCI so therefore use 4 out of the 8 channels. On occassion I've used all 8.

I did have a problem initially with even numbered channels crackling, but that was solved with compressed air cleaning the ports.
hubird

Post by hubird »

Niceboy, let's say you get again the question of Peksi:

quote: Is it possible to use mux in ADAT port A and normal 48kHz in port B? I suppose I cannot do that since I can see only one 96kHz switch?
end quote.
So the question is about using two different kHz values on two ADAT ports on the same card.

And let's assume you múst answer with only one word.
Yes or no.
What would it be?
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

hubird wrote:Niceboy, let's say you get again the question of Peksi:

quote: Is it possible to use mux in ADAT port A and normal 48kHz in port B? I suppose I cannot do that since I can see only one 96kHz switch?
end quote.
So the question is about using two different kHz values on two ADAT ports on the same card.

Yes or no.
What it be?
You are funny now but I really like his questions so lets see if he want to ask that.
For me its like the SSL converter from BNC to Optical MADI that we are testing from them.
For us its more interesting to test SPL summing mixers ,
and go direct to Front Of the House Speakers from Sonic Cores Optimaster.
I have to think about all the children from Siberia also.
I dont care if we will put Avid out of business
So the guys at Ferrofish will probarbly help him find a sync card also
:lol:
Bear
Last edited by niceboy on Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garyb

Post by garyb »

end quote.

Yes or no.
What would it be?
maybe i'll just chime in with a "no"....
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

garyb wrote:

end quote.

Yes or no.
What would it be?
:lol:
Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin »

Every time I see the word SSL or MADI I am hitting "report as off topic".
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

dante wrote:
peksi wrote:I have seen some discussions about using Scope XITE and PCI in the same machine and so far I have seen that the best way would be to use ADAT interconnect between the two. Do you think the 44.1 / 48kHz will be a bottleneck in sound quality?
Ive been using PCI + XITE on same host for some time.

http://www.hitfoundry.com/issue_12/pcx_mast.htm

Ive been running at 48KHz and this is my standard setup for projects these days. I run 2 x stereo synths on Scope PCI so therefore use 4 out of the 8 channels. On occassion I've used all 8.

I did have a problem initially with even numbered channels crackling, but that was solved with compressed air cleaning the ports.
It makes me happy ,you made it work.
I am cleaning the oscillators and all fans often, because they get more hot when there is dust.
I just wanted to say , because older stuff was not that sensitive as computers are for that.
Bear
hubird

Post by hubird »

garyb wrote:

end quote.

Yes or no.
What would it be?
You see, Niceboy, it's not that difficult.
There even was the perfect hint in the question sentence even...
Bud Weiser

Post by Bud Weiser »

niceboy wrote: I am cleaning the oscillators ... often, because they get more hot when there is dust.
WHAT ?

You mean,- I should do that w/ all my hardware synths too ?

Bud
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

Bud Weiser wrote:
niceboy wrote: I am cleaning the oscillators ... often, because they get more hot when there is dust.
WHAT ?

You mean,- I should do that w/ all my hardware synths too ?

Bud
No I dont think so its a very closed room.
The processor and other sensors on Computers ,
but also the graphics cards having more and more overtime work :lol:
Do what you want if its modern gear.
Bear
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

Yeah, how DO you clean an oscillator ? Lop the top off the chip and look for the DSP code that says 'oscillator' ? :lol: :lol:
niceboy

Post by niceboy »

SilverScoper wrote:Yeah, how DO you clean an oscillator ? Lop the top off the chip and look for the DSP code that says 'oscillator' ? :lol: :lol:
Call it semiconductors then and use compressed air.
Dont use it in your mouth though :lol:
Bear
SilverScoper

Post by SilverScoper »

No, you must have used the analiser for that :lol: