DSP Assign

The Sonic Core XITE hardware platform for Scope

Moderators: valis, garyb

yayajohn

DSP Assign

Post by yayajohn »

I was wondering if someone might be able to shed some light on the advantage of assigning the DSP's. I have gotten much better results just leaving them alone on the synths (haven't tried with anything else cause it's seems only the number of voices that max's out the sys) The stock synths seem to be optimized and even switch presets fast with 16 voices and no DSP assignment. (see pic#1)

The second pic is the Void2 with no DSP assignment. (I had to step up to 13 voices from 4 voices one at a time in order to achieve this and I cannot switch presets without lowering it back to 4)

This third pic is assigned to DSP 12. I tried and got the same results with DSP 9-18
(WinXP 32 btw)
Max Poly1.JPG
Max Poly1.JPG (154.99 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Void2.JPG
Void2.JPG (155.09 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
Void2DSP12assign.jpg
Void2DSP12assign.jpg (156.86 KiB) Viewed 2703 times
dawman

Re: DSP Assign

Post by dawman »

With stock devices and especially the STM2448, you shouldn't need to do anything actually.
The only advantage is once you have the Project Window with what you need, you can stick in Modular Patches w/ low default voice counts, assign them a DSP and do not clear the assignment, but leave it be and save the project.
The next time the project loads up Modular won't be fighting with other optimized devices, synths and effects.
As much as I would like to use other mixers and instruments, my main concern now is the STM2448 packed up with everything I need as most of my signals coming into the Project now are external hardware. I also run lost of effects in the Project Window that are 3rd party.
But like you sticking to the stock stuff has serious advantages.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

ok i'll have to try that with the modular. What would you consider the minimum voices on a keys or string patch? I can get 8 out of Six String on the Xite but I could get 12 easily on the PCI cards (of course that ate up most of my 26 DSP's :lol: ). I'm wondering if I were to load 2 instances with a key splitter if that might help alleviate some dropped notes? Have you tried that or something similiar?
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Well here's 32 voices of Six String thanks to Mr. SpaceF. Might be a work around to max poly on certain synths although I must admit it's a bit of overkill but who cares i like it how I like it :)
SixStringSplitter.JPG
SixStringSplitter.JPG (163.17 KiB) Viewed 2674 times
dawman

Post by dawman »

I use to be a big Polyphony guy due to JBowens Unison mode where 12 voices were really 6.
But now I am more into external gear but your idea of using the splitter is cool, but there's no Unison mode on 6 String so why the need for 8 voices....?

I actually use to think I needed 7, so I could play all 6 strings then have the 7th voice allow the smooth transition of notes dropping out. But I rarely use more than 4 voices on sampled Guitar, or my Power Cruncher Modular Patch.
I have a Patch For Muted and Un Muted Power Chords, then a Unison Mod IV lead so the 2 patches along with some sampled Guitars, and Acoustic and 12s give me the ability to allow our Guitarist to play Leads and I can cover the backing tracks, as they sound more convincing with a real Guitar over the top.

It's really fun emulating Guitars on keyboards though.
If you use Kontakt, Orange Tree Samples has an Electric Guitar that actually bends the B string up to the E String for those realistic Guitar Unison tricks, it's a great Kontakt Library.
Check out his video at his site and you'll see what I mean.
yayajohn

Post by yayajohn »

Let just call it a stuck pedal at times :) I get it, six strings on a guitar = six poly. but hey i've got ten fingers man!
I don't know perhaps just a pet peeve but I hate dropped notes or anything technical that takes me out of my creative mood so I prefer to overshoot. Maybe I'm wrong but isn't the B2003 set at 32 voices? Or even hardware synths/pianos come with 32 standard? To me one big reason to buy an Xite-1 is to pretty much have way more power than you would ever need. Different people have different needs but for me the PCI cards had enough power for all of my home studio engineering needs of effects, mixing and mastering. The synths were the big DSP drain.
So to limit the voices on the synths for the Xite-1 doesn't make much sense to me.
-Basically it just makes me happy? :D

Don't use Kontakt, ive got a bunch of Akai disks so pretty much just the STS if I need a sampled sound.

i've done the same thing at our jam sessions, pick up the rhythm guitar on the keyboard using Six String and let the guitar player take the lead, it's a great deterrent to having the rest of the band think they need another useless guitar player :lol: